only 3 games in but its Ollie winning 4-0

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: only 3 games in but its Ollie winning 4-0

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:06 pm

TBF to SMC the Derby fans loved his first stint there and weren't upset by his second stint. He did have a budget and some quality players to work with though.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

angloraider
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by angloraider » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:06 pm
TBF to SMC the Derby fans loved his first stint there and weren't upset by his second stint. He did have a budget and some quality players to work with though.
Not sure about that. His first stint was 19 months, so there were moments in his favour, the 2nd stint was 5 months. That's a car crash!
All or nothing!

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:21 pm

angloraider wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:54 am
After reading that I can't understand why the most promising managers in the world aren't beating our down for a job with low salary and no transfer funds, it's beggars belief doesn't it? Zenith has it right.
I remember years ago on this site Esox you extolling the virtues of Eddie Howe, boy were you right.

In the position we are in we had a choice, hire a young manager with lots of energy, hopefully on the way up, one who we could get relatively cheaply because he hadn't quite made his name. Or, an experienced manager, and with the budget we had to offer, one who was on the way down, one who we hoped would buck his own trend.

I know which route I would have gone down.

Yes there are risks involved, but if you do your homework properly you minimise those risks. Whereas with McClaren it didn't take a rocket scientist to work out the way it would go, the same way it has gone for him for several appointments now.
You have to concede there would have been very little attraction for a young up and coming manager to join QPR though?
We lost 3 main players, hadlittle to no transfer budget, FFP hanging over our heads, a very average squad and were nearly relegated the previous season.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:22 pm

angloraider wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:27 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Not sure about that. His first stint was 19 months, so there were moments in his favour, the 2nd stint was 5 months. That's a car crash!
What happened in those 5 months to make you think it was a car crash? It's not how Derby fans remember it.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

angloraider
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by angloraider » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:22 pm
angloraider wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:27 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
What happened in those 5 months to make you think it was a car crash? It's not how Derby fans remember it.
Esox I confess, I don't know any Derby fans, you clearly do. But even by today's standards 5 months is a very short stint, and clearly the board were not confident in his abilities. In fact after only 5 months you are actually admitting, for whatever reason, a mistake was made.

I am not a McClaren fan, that much is obvious, I never have been as a no1. If I'd have been in Les' position, he would have been after my last resort.

I understand that is not everyone's opinion, you seem to think he is an ok appointment, and you are more than entitled to that.

I believe there are always two or three gems in the lower leagues who are champing at the bit to challenge themselves at a higher level. They back their coaching skills to take a bunch of players to the maximum of their ability. You identified Eddie Howe as one of those several years ago. He is by no means the only one.

There are managers, who by reputation, are the ones that get their players to run through a brick wall for them. Warnock has been one forever, Howe is another, Wilder another. Ask around, who's the next one on the block, having little to no money to spend is not much of a barrier to these guys.

Don't go down the well trodden path of picking a guy who everyone knows, who might look like he knows what's he's doing. Having no money is not an excuse for poor decision making, it's an opportunity to be different and do some exciting like 'sniffing' the next guy out.

That's my view, if it's not yours, that totally cool.
All or nothing!

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:37 am

angloraider wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 pm
Damien wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:39 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:35 pm
I wonder if the the Huddersfield fans are tearing their hair out and whining about sacking their manager after today's result against Man City? My guess would be no as they actually support their team.
Go and have a look then and let us all know.
A completely different circumstance. A stable and well run club, who are generally looking forward rather than back. Their fans appreciate what has happened in the last two seasons and that the club is fighting to acclimatise to the position it finds itself in.

Today was just a bad day at the office, and that happens occasionally.

Our situation is indicative of a cancer that can be cured, but the challenges are huge, and not easily overcome. It's private health care but we have chosen the wrong consultant.
It is a cancer beyond what SMc or any of our last 3 managers have done.
Staff Benda Bilili