FFP

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

FFP

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am

I guess the problem I have with this at the moment (actually I have a problem with the whole thing) is:

We are struggling to spend money for fear of breaking the rules. Other clubs - Middlesbrough, Forest and Derby to name but three are spending millions in transfers. Our big earners have mostly left, but surely the new signings at other clubs have wages to reflect their status as multi million pound transfer fees?

It's easy to say other teams have bigger stadiums etc. But, Forest for example average 10,000 more per home game than we do, but we have had the luxury of parachute payments that they haven't.

If, any or all of those teams don't make it to the Premiership next season does that mean they are going into financial melt down? I know these things are calculated over three years, but the spending by other clubs doesn't make any sense in comparison to us?

Anyone care to explain?
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: FFP

Post by 222gers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am

With quite a few clubs like Forest breaking the limits, the FL discipinary committee could be in for a busy old time. It would be nice for three teams that haven't breached the rules to be promoted !

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 am

Think Stoke will justify working within income and possibly Boro but, presuming Derby and Forest at risk if they don't go up?

Anyone else likely to come unstuck?

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:52 am

Some of the big spenders have also received large funds from player sales but not all of them.
Lex Talionis........

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 am

Thinking about the fine we received.

It's a little under £2,000,000 a year for 10 years.

That equates to: about £35,000 a week for the next 10 years.

I don't know how much we were paying Ned, but looking at the £70,000 a week for Barton and the £50,000 a week for SWP who were around at the same time. The fine could be seen in terms of having Ned around on reduced terms for the next 10 years but not playing him.

It's not too bad when put in those terms.

Is there an option to pay it off early? If (Ha Ha Ha) we got promoted or won a cup?
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am
I guess the problem I have with this at the moment (actually I have a problem with the whole thing) is:

We are struggling to spend money for fear of breaking the rules. Other clubs - Middlesbrough, Forest and Derby to name but three are spending millions in transfers. Our big earners have mostly left, but surely the new signings at other clubs have wages to reflect their status as multi million pound transfer fees?

It's easy to say other teams have bigger stadiums etc. But, Forest for example average 10,000 more per home game than we do, but we have had the luxury of parachute payments that they haven't.

If, any or all of those teams don't make it to the Premiership next season does that mean they are going into financial melt down? I know these things are calculated over three years, but the spending by other clubs doesn't make any sense in comparison to us?

Anyone care to explain?
Middlesbrough pulled in £43M in fees for Traore, Gibson and Bamford, plus they still have parachute money, so I would imagine they're fine at the moment.

Derby lost £8M in 2016-17 and nearly £15M the year before. They tightened the purse strings last year under Rowett, and Lampard's signings haven't generally been expensive ones, plus they sold Vydra, so again I would think they'll be OK.

Forest are a different story. They lost £32M in their last set of accounts, and are throwing money at it this season, so must be in breach I'd have thought. However the punishment for that is no longer clear - could be a fine, transfer embargo, points deduction, or a combination of all three.I'm not sure any of those would necessarily mean financial meltdown though.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:27 pm

I think Forest will struggle, they've thrown a lot of money at this but as we showed in the PL you have to be able to build a team. It would be their second breach as well, i believe.

What sort of situation are Villa in?

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Well, only 3 teams are going up ...

Stoke, Boro, Villa, Forest, Leeds & Derby all expect to be in the mix. Someone is going to miss out. Should someone unexpected like PNE or Brentford crash the party then we will be very interested observers with regard to FFP.

Precedents have been set.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:05 pm

In respect to paying the FFP fine, my understanding is it's the board and not the club that will pay it and thus increase their shareholding in the club.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:20 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:49 pm
Well, only 3 teams are going up ...

Stoke, Boro, Villa, Forest, Leeds & Derby all expect to be in the mix. Someone is going to miss out. Should someone unexpected like PNE or Brentford crash the party then we will be very interested observers with regard to FFP.

Precedents have been set.
Remember we were done under the old rules. Our punishment sets no precedents, makes sense now why the FL pursued us under rules they themselves considered unfair.