Anybody think we are in real trouble this year ?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Anybody think we are in real trouble this year ?

Post by the big IP » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 pm

I am already hoping that there are 3 worse teams than us this year.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Anybody think we are in real trouble this year ?

Post by Rbee » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:38 am

Of course, since May I have thought that.

We are in a strange place at the moment working under the constraints of the utterly ridiculous Profitability and Sustainability Rules but we are doing ok. The players that came in whilst Ollie was here are very good signings in the context of our budget and our new captain looks ok too.

We just have to take it a season at a time, keep looking for good loans and cheap buys and try to stay in this division until the PSR constraints are changed.

Unless we are incredibly unlucky with injuries I think we shall be ok finishing more or less in the same position as last season. We still have Luke Freeman which was vitally important for us this season but in a years time that could change as he will only have a year left on his contract I believe and we obviously have to cash in but we have a year to deal with that. As I say a season at a time.

Our fans have be realistic, pragmatic, patient understand the clubs current situation and keep supporting.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am

Think we will have the likes of Reading, Sheff Weds, Birmingham, Rotherham, Bolton, Wigan and others in the mini league with us - usually one notable name that struggles too.

Think the striker aspect is still key for us - given the feedback from the Preston game, sounds like we need someone who can play that role up top in Schteve's system and Matt Smith may be more likely to be a change from the bench as opposed to a starter.

Interesting to see if we go for Schteve's tried and trusted of Chris Martin or someone on Gary Penrice's list.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:09 am

Meh! it's what being a supporter is all about; sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue. I'll still be renewing my S/T whatever happens.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

Think this squad will grow with its young players and developing with Schteve's coaching - looking forward to seeing what they can do.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:09 am
Meh! it's what being a supporter is all about; sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue. I'll still be renewing my S/T whatever happens.
this....

I'll reserve my judgement until 5pm tomorrow
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 am

Devonranger wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am
Think we will have the likes of Reading, Sheff Weds, Birmingham, Rotherham, Bolton, Wigan and others in the mini league with us - usually one notable name that struggles too.
When you look at the transfer ins and outs, we're far from being the only club whose squad looks weaker going into the new season.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/ ... fer-window
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am

We'll be ok. It'll be tough to do better than mid table but nothing is impossible. It's nearly all kids and some famous knob of a CB said you don't win anything with kids was talking out of his Scottish arse. We won the Div 2 Championship in 1983 by 10 points with nearly all kids. Only Gregory and Flanagan were old pros if I recall rightly. (& TC but he hardly played due to injury)
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 pm

It'll depend on the loans.

Given we are 4 first team players down from last season and we were lucky to get that decent run before the end,I can't see anyway that we won't have less points than last season.

Smithies must have been worth 15 points on his own.

Fingers crossed.

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:09 am
Exactly this....spot on EL.
Lets give it at least ten games before the harbingers of doom start....please.
Whatever happens, the Championship is a great league with all its unpredictability.
Lets enjoy the football with all its ups and downs.

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Stateside Ranger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:55 am

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/so ... mpionship/

This from a political forecasting site that has branched out into sports: they use loads of data and are good at stats. (Just don’t mention their predictions on Brexit or Trump v Clinton)...

They reckon we will finish 18th based on revised forecasting since Saturday’s loss to Sheff Utd. We have an 18% chance of going down (and a 4% chance of promotion!). They think Reading, Ipswich and Rotherham will be relegated.

They separately compare stats across many European and international leagues and update each week and say we are, since Saturday, the 238th strongest club side in the world, one ahead of Glasgow Rangers. Doesn’t have quite the same ring to it as “the finest football team the world has ever seen” :D

So basically no need to worry!
Last edited by Stateside Ranger on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:18 am

At this point in the season I'd wager 99% of Rangers supporters would settle for 18th with some relief.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 am

Absolutely!!! :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.