Whittingham report on Preston v QPR

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Whittingham report on Preston v QPR

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:26 am

A voice of reason and sanity, and also not afraid to call a spade a spade, describing our showing as 'tremendously naive', 'out-played' and 'out-thought'. Presumably now those who gave me a pasting for not signing up slavishly to the 'Rome wasn't built in a day' school of thought will do the same to Clive. He also calls out McClaren's self-serving spin on how many youngsters we had out there with the actual facts - no player under 20 started the game!

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/ ... on--report

He does say we kept our shape for most of the game, and the referee was soft as shit in the final 15 minutes, but, along with CW, I would like to know exactly what positives came from this game, why we have apparently learned next to nothing since our last couple of games against PNE (which is also part of being a professional player) and why we seem set up to fail in game after game on the road going back ages. We must have one of the worst away league records in our last 100 games away in the whole country.

'We’ve won six away games in two years now, and there were few indications here that we’ve grown the sort of backbone, or attacking threat, needed to better that this season. I’m sick of that, and I’m sick of watching Preston do this to us. We’re too nice and we need to wise up.'

Too right, Clive. Grow a spine, Rangers, and if McClaren can't help with that, find a man who can!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Whittingham report on Preston v QPR

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 am

It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks for posting the report Staindrod - good read.

Tough game to start and maybe enough senior players should know what to do - whilst not under 20, Eze and BOS are fairly new to the League and so is Malay in terms of first team games.

Schteve said we would need 10 games to know where we would be and happy to go with that - playing Schteve's system might not suit Matt Smith but we knew the striking dept had limitations across the current rota.

Sounds like we had a sound defensive base, barring the goal but struggled to get going forwards of that - hopefully that can be put right for Saturday and a couple of new faces added in the meantime.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:26 am
A voice of reason and sanity, and also not afraid to call a spade a spade, describing our showing as 'tremendously naive', 'out-played' and 'out-thought'. Presumably now those who gave me a pasting for not signing up slavishly to the 'Rome wasn't built in a day' school of thought will do the same to Clive. He also calls out McClaren's self-serving spin on how many youngsters we had out there with the actual facts - no player under 20 started the game!

The thing is, Clive's view was based on actually being at the game, whereas yours was based on less than two minutes of highlights. He also explains why and in what ways he thought we were outplayed and out-thought in some detail.

A long history of trying to see the positives as well as the negatives mean his views tend to command respect. Yours at the moment, not so much.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:08 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

The thing is, Clive's view was based on actually being at the game, whereas yours was based on less than two minutes of highlights. He also explains why and in what ways he thought we were outplayed and out-thought in some detail.

A long history of trying to see the positives as well as the negatives mean his views tend to command respect. Yours at the moment, not so much.
Clive also said

"How this team [Preston], which missed the play offs by just one place and two points last season, is 33/1 for the title this year is beyond me. They’re good. Really good. And not in a Millwall way of simply being intimidating and unplayable, in a properly good footballing way..."

Maybe not Barcelona then, but no old mugs either.
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Also, to a certain extent, there is nothing that you can do about the time-wasting.

The critical thing is not to go a goal down to a team like that, but that, of course, is stating the bleeding obvious.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks for posting Stainrod but how come you didn't mention the positive things Clive said about us. :D

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:40 pm
Thanks for posting Stainrod but how come you didn't mention the positive things Clive said about us. :D
Where's the fun in that?
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:40 pm
Probably because they were so few and far between. I gave you the gist, and the gist certainly tells the truth of what I saw (not the 90, admittedly, but the desultory 10 minutes on the Offish, which was enough for me).

As for 'balance', I give you William Blake - the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:08 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Clive also said

"How this team [Preston], which missed the play offs by just one place and two points last season, is 33/1 for the title this year is beyond me. They’re good. Really good. And not in a Millwall way of simply being intimidating and unplayable, in a properly good footballing way..."

Maybe not Barcelona then, but no old mugs either.
They've been too good for us for quite a while now BG. Could be their season after flirting with promotion for a few years.