McClaren getting his excuses in early (for the season)

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

ZENITH R

Re: McClaren getting his excuses in early (for the season)

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 pm
https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/mcc ... w-signings

Now stating today in West London Sport that we need loan signings/experience in post haste, or we'll struggle and things like 'seven clean sheets and three away wins' are 'still going to be there'. Good God, man - I know you've been a loser more than a winner most of your career, but do you have to sound like one before we've even got going? It's just indefensible! (Though I'm sure there are some who'll defend it.)
Wrong again. His managerial record shows he's won 278 and lost 195 of his 620 games as a manager, a win rate of 45%.

His comments seem pretty reasonable to me. We've lost a handful of senior players and signed one so far, so it's not as if he's doing the classic experienced manager trick of bemoaning how hard things are despite having already spent a packet. He is also in the unique position for a QPR manager of knowing that he will have a transfer embargo to contend with in January. I think most people looking at the current squad would think we need to strengthen, whether that's achieved with loan deals or permanent signings.
Throw into that mix ... winning the League cup at Boro, getting them to the semi-final of the FA Cup and the final of the UEFA Cup. If that's a loser, most managers in the league are total dross.

Who was the last QPR manager to get us even to the 5th round of the FA Cup?

Lots made of McLaren's failure as England manager too (another stick some like to beat him with) but how many QPR managers in the past have even been considered for the post?

Incidentally McLaren's win % as England manager was 50% - better than Kevin Keegan, Bobby Robson, Don Revie and Terry Venables. So, if he's a loser ... he's in good company.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 pm
https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/mcc ... w-signings

Now stating today in West London Sport that we need loan signings/experience in post haste, or we'll struggle and things like 'seven clean sheets and three away wins' are 'still going to be there'. Good God, man - I know you've been a loser more than a winner most of your career, but do you have to sound like one before we've even got going? It's just indefensible! (Though I'm sure there are some who'll defend it.)
Wrong again. His managerial record shows he's won 278 and lost 195 of his 620 games as a manager, a win rate of 45%.

His comments seem pretty reasonable to me. We've lost a handful of senior players and signed one so far, so it's not as if he's doing the classic experienced manager trick of bemoaning how hard things are despite having already spent a packet. He is also in the unique position for a QPR manager of knowing that he will have a transfer embargo to contend with in January. I think most people looking at the current squad would think we need to strengthen, whether that's achieved with loan deals or permanent signings.
When I said he's been a loser, I didn't mean the actual statistical tally of wins, defeats and losses. I was referring, rather obviously I thought, to his overall failures at Derby, Newcastle, England, Wolfsburg and Forest.

My point was (and remains) that saying a few last-minute loans will determine to a great extent how well we do this season is embarrassingly over-stated in my book. What ought to matter much more is the difference he can make on the training ground with the existing crop, which is why, we were led to believe, he was hired in the first place. How many players are we likely to realistically be able to bring in this month anyway - two or three? Ergo, McClaren and his team need to earn their corn, starting this weekend v Sheff Utd, or we might as well have kept Holloway.
His win ratio at Derby was - 53.7% (first time) 44.8% the second. He got them challenging at the business end of the Championship.
Newcastle - was a mess when he took it the job. The big mistake he made was taking the job in the first place.
England - see my previous post
Wolfsburg - Something obviously wasn't right there, maybe a language problem? Everyone is entitled to one failure
Forest - like Newcastle were a mess with an owner who interfered. After Wolfsburg his confidence would have been low.

You need to look a little deeper.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:42 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:

When I said he's been a loser, I didn't mean the actual statistical tally of wins, defeats and losses. I was referring, rather obviously I thought, to his overall failures at Derby, Newcastle, England, Wolfsburg and Forest.
Fair comment. If you ignore the overall picture and just focus on the the jobs he didn't do so well in, the man is indeed an unmitigated failure.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by arrystottle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:10 am

If Brollyman had not been assistant to Fergie i doubt he would ever have made any impact in the football world , i don't think if we have the worst squad in the division but we will be lucky to survive, even assuming he gets the chop at Christmas.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:12 am

You're also leaving out the obvious fact that if he had lost even more games, his record would have been worse. I can't believe that two astute men like Les & Lee would ever employ someone with such a terrible record. There's something completely rotten in QPR.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:14 am

arrystottle wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:10 am
If Brollyman had not been assistant to Fergie i doubt he would ever have made any impact in the football world , i don't think if we have the worst squad in the division but we will be lucky to survive, even assuming he gets the chop at Christmas.
Was that when he won the Dutch title?

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by arrystottle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am

Winning the Dutch title is a bit like bungee jumping off a metre high wall , easy and pointless.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 am

I would have thought that he would have had to accrue quite a few points to win the title ?
Come on you Sooopa ........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 am

arrystottle wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am
Winning the Dutch title is a bit like bungee jumping off a metre high wall , easy and pointless.
Your compelling analogy has completely changed my mind about him. We should have got Guardiola in, at least he has won meaningful titles.

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by arrystottle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:32 am

Sorry but Brollyman is a complete waste of space and he will prove that to everyone over the next few weeks .

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 am

arrystottle wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:10 am
If Brollyman had not been assistant to Fergie i doubt he would ever have made any impact in the football world
Well possibly not, but so what ?

Ferguson brought him to Man Utd, based on the work McLaren had done at Derby, so clearly he saw some potential in the man. He's been a manager in his own right since 2001, so I think it's fair to judge his career on its own merits.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

My point was (and remains) that saying a few last-minute loans will determine to a great extent how well we do this season is embarrassingly over-stated in my book. What ought to matter much more is the difference he can make on the training ground with the existing crop, which is why, we were led to believe, he was hired in the first place. How many players are we likely to realistically be able to bring in this month anyway - two or three? Ergo, McClaren and his team need to earn their corn, starting this weekend v Sheff Utd, or we might as well have kept Holloway.
His win ratio at Derby was - 53.7% (first time) 44.8% the second. He got them challenging at the business end of the Championship.
Newcastle - was a mess when he took it the job. The big mistake he made was taking the job in the first place.
England - see my previous post
Wolfsburg - Something obviously wasn't right there, maybe a language problem? Everyone is entitled to one failure
Forest - like Newcastle were a mess with an owner who interfered. After Wolfsburg his confidence would have been low.

You need to look a little deeper.
I'd say you need to look a little less deeply, and stop scrabbling around for excuses for a man failing with three/four different set-ups.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:42 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Fair comment. If you ignore the overall picture and just focus on the the jobs he didn't do so well in, the man is indeed an unmitigated failure.
Did I say 'unmitigated failure'? Try not to distort or caricature my actual postings, or don't bother responding at all. But quite why you think that his catalogue of unsuccess isn't as much part of the 'overall picture' as anything is beyond me.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:56 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:42 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Did I say 'unmitigated failure'? Try not to distort or caricature my actual postings, or don't bother responding at all. But quite why you think that his catalogue of unsuccess isn't as much part of the 'overall picture' as anything is beyond me.
You're talking absolute nonsense now. You've been overwhelmingly negative about McLaren's appointment from Day 1. Anyone looking at it dispassionately can see that he's had his successes and his failures over a 17 year career. Your continued insistence that his managerial record is worse than Holloway's and that's he's some kind of inveterate loser simply flies in the face of the facts.

You're clearly an intelligent bloke, but you've completely lost the plot since Holloway departed. I have no idea why, since you weren't even very supportive of him when he was in charge.

QPR_Dan
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by QPR_Dan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 am

arrystottle wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am
That argument may have some weight if he had won it with Ajax or PSV.

He didn't though, he won it with FC Twente.

A decent achievement considering it's the only time they have won it in their history and they have been relegated since then.