McClaren getting his excuses in early (for the season)

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

McClaren getting his excuses in early (for the season)

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 pm

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/mcc ... w-signings

Now stating today in West London Sport that we need loan signings/experience in post haste, or we'll struggle and things like 'seven clean sheets and three away wins' are 'still going to be there'. Good God, man - I know you've been a loser more than a winner most of your career, but do you have to sound like one before we've even got going? It's just indefensible! (Though I'm sure there are some who'll defend it.)

So much for appointing a coach to give us more shape, solidity and take us forward! What does a supporter do when so much at QPR is insupportable?

Mind you, on the bright side, he can't really go down in my estimation now as he's raised the bar so low it's virtually underground!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: McClaren getting his excuses in early (for the season)

Post by Rbee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:38 pm

I can only assume that SMc has been on here reading your posts and started to panic.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:52 pm

I have absolutely no problem with his comments. He is telling it like it is. He is not pulling any punches. It is also true that you cannot know how you will really shape up until you play that first League game.

The problem is that we need to get rid of the likes of Washington, Wheeler etc. because we must operate with a slimmed down squad of 18 or so and I cannot see anyone taking them.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:57 pm

More attention seeking trollery from Elbow. Give it a rest.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 pm

old pauline wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:52 pm
I have absolutely no problem with his comments. He is telling it like it is. He is not pulling any punches. It is also true that you cannot know how you will really shape up until you play that first League game.

The problem is that we need to get rid of the likes of Washington, Wheeler etc. because we must operate with a slimmed down squad of 18 or so and I cannot see anyone taking them.
Who's (?Hoos) said that? If that's really so, why don't we just all throw the towel in and agree to be relegated now?

And what's Wheeler done wrong to be culled? He's hardly played!

This club (and board) are turning more and more into a Kafka novel every day . . .

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:05 pm

For someone who takes umbrage with being misquoted I am surprised that you are suggesting that its as good as throwing the towel in

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Sounds like yesterday's performance was disappointing but it's ridiculous to steam in on McClaren after one game. Surely everyone agrees we need a few more players in this month so can't see why that article has upset you so much.
Lex Talionis........

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:37 pm

The OP claims he's actually very open-minded about the new manager, as this brand new thread slagging SM off again one game into the new season demonstrates perfectly.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:51 pm

The problem is he's already doing a damn good job flipping up my open mind with his defeatist statements. So our loans will determine to a large degree how far we go this season? Great! So much for coaching, working on the training ground, and professional development of our players. What are we paying you for again, McClaren? It's pitiful!

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:53 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:57 pm
More attention seeking trollery from Elbow. Give it a rest.
And others posters aren't 'attention-seeking' by definition? If you disagree with me, fine! But sinking to calling me a troll just embarrasses you! (Why aren't you now trolling me, you damn hypocrite?)

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Never mind the season, I'm more interested in the headline billing on here and the question of who is going to burn their bridges first ? SMC or his nemesis, Stainrod's Elbow ?

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:34 pm

0-1 away to Preston is not the worst result in the world for a team that’s unlikely to be challenging this year.

We’ve no idea how it will pan out yet. I hope he can pull it out of the bag. 5 games in and we’ll have a marginally better idea, but even that is early days. He should make it to Christmas at least!

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Oh do be quiet Elbow!!!!!! you really are an unmitigated bore.
Give it a rest man! :twisted:

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Now stating today in West London Sport that we need loan signings/experience in post haste, or we'll struggle and things like 'seven clean sheets and three away wins' are 'still going to be there'. Good God, man - I know you've been a loser more than a winner most of your career, but do you have to sound like one before we've even got going? It's just indefensible! (Though I'm sure there are some who'll defend it.)
Wrong again. His managerial record shows he's won 278 and lost 195 of his 620 games as a manager, a win rate of 45%.

His comments seem pretty reasonable to me. We've lost a handful of senior players and signed one so far, so it's not as if he's doing the classic experienced manager trick of bemoaning how hard things are despite having already spent a packet. He is also in the unique position for a QPR manager of knowing that he will have a transfer embargo to contend with in January. I think most people looking at the current squad would think we need to strengthen, whether that's achieved with loan deals or permanent signings.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Wrong again. His managerial record shows he's won 278 and lost 195 of his 620 games as a manager, a win rate of 45%.

His comments seem pretty reasonable to me. We've lost a handful of senior players and signed one so far, so it's not as if he's doing the classic experienced manager trick of bemoaning how hard things are despite having already spent a packet. He is also in the unique position for a QPR manager of knowing that he will have a transfer embargo to contend with in January. I think most people looking at the current squad would think we need to strengthen, whether that's achieved with loan deals or permanent signings.
When I said he's been a loser, I didn't mean the actual statistical tally of wins, defeats and losses. I was referring, rather obviously I thought, to his overall failures at Derby, Newcastle, England, Wolfsburg and Forest.

My point was (and remains) that saying a few last-minute loans will determine to a great extent how well we do this season is embarrassingly over-stated in my book. What ought to matter much more is the difference he can make on the training ground with the existing crop, which is why, we were led to believe, he was hired in the first place. How many players are we likely to realistically be able to bring in this month anyway - two or three? Ergo, McClaren and his team need to earn their corn, starting this weekend v Sheff Utd, or we might as well have kept Holloway.