Opening day Highlights vs Preston

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Opening day Highlights vs Preston

Post by deadendjob » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Opening day Highlights vs Preston

Post by Rbee » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks deadendjob.

How close was Smithy's header.

Their goal was certainly lucky, not an attempt on goal.

I note that all the penalties given in The World Cup for grappling at corners hasn't changed anything in our league, Sylla being held whilst stabbing the ball goalward.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:16 pm

If that grim little reel is in any way representative, it looks like we were out-thought, out-fought, and out-played pretty much from start to finish. Smith's header was about it, while Sylla, held or not, should be scoring from that range. And their goal (they all count, by the way) just makes our goalie look like a ball-watching schoolboy, topped off by Luongo's embarrassing pogo on the goal line.

I couldn't be there, and I feel for those who were.

'There may be trouble ahead . . .'
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:19 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:16 pm
If that grim little reel is in any way representative, it looks like we were out-thought, out-fought, and out-played pretty much from star to finish. Sylla should be scoring from that range. And their goal just makes our goalie look like a ball-watching schoolboy, topped off by Luongo's embarrassing pogo on the goal line. I couldn't be there, and I feel for those who were.

There may be trouble ahead . . .
As Lee Gib suggests, you are trolling us. I have looked at that goal a few times and wouldn't blame Ingram and certainly not Luongo.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:23 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
If that grim little reel is in any way representative, it looks like we were out-thought, out-fought, and out-played pretty much from start to finish. Smith's header was about it, while Sylla, held or not, should be scoring from that range. And their goal (they all count, by the way) just makes our goalie look like a ball-watching schoolboy, topped off by Luongo's embarrassing pogo on the goal line.

Do one troll!
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Thank for correcting my opinion with yours! That's right, I'm purely malign, with no interest in QPR whatsoever!

How old are you again?

aniclap
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 pm

All I gathered from that, is that our new away strip looks more like purple than pink :shock:

Swehoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Swehoops » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 pm
All I gathered from that, is that our new away strip looks more like purple than pink :shock:
...and that the black numbers that someone decided to use on the back are close to unreadable.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:23 pm

Swehoops wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:37 pm
Damien wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 pm
...and that the black numbers that someone decided to use on the back are close to unreadable.
Indeedy.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:19 am

A 1-0 defeat at Preston is not the end of the world, but, the way that it happened raises a few questions.
I expected a better outcome. In my little dream world, I imagined that Eze and Osayi-Samuel (Freeman, too?) would be taking on Preston defenders in the way that they did against Union Berlin. I also thought that, after a while, they would get chopped down and we would benefit from free-kicks. I have no doubt that there is great talent in those players, so, the question is 'Why did they appear to present so little threat?' Steve McClaren seemed to allude to that after the game, when he talked of 'releasing the shackles'.
How do we 'release the shackles' ?
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:54 am

kernowhoop, the way I saw it was we struggled to break their high press and play out from the back, a key tactic we've worked on in pre-season. This resulted in long balls often played out from the back. Our central midfield is too lightweight to win and keep enough possession against a big physical team like PNE. In short, we never really got started.

By 'releasing the shackles' I take it to mean providing our forwards with good quality ball in advanced positions with support, something we rarely achieved.

It was a game that would have been a tough start to the season for any team in this division so there's some encouragement in that we weren't that far away from holding our own. We have a young squad working on a different approach with a new manager. As has been said by others, we need patience this season.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:52 am

dm wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:54 am
kernowhoop, the way I saw it was we struggled to break their high press and play out from the back, a key tactic we've worked on in pre-season. This resulted in long balls often played out from the back. Our central midfield is too lightweight to win and keep enough possession against a big physical team like PNE. In short, we never really got started.

By 'releasing the shackles' I take it to mean providing our forwards with good quality ball in advanced positions with support, something we rarely achieved.

It was a game that would have been a tough start to the season for any team in this division so there's some encouragement in that we weren't that far away from holding our own. We have a young squad working on a different approach with a new manager. As has been said by others, we need patience this season.
Thank you. I remain optimistic that we can get it it right.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:14 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:

You got all that from less than two minutes of highlights ? Laughable.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Looking forward to making my own mind up at around 5pm next Saturday....

There seems to be posters with an axe to grind over our current management setup and using a tough away game opener as a stick to beat them is laughable......

Anyone whose read my opinions over the last few years shows I'm no fan of Uncle Tony or Sez Les but I'm willing to offer all a clean slate as FFP is seemingly and finally sorted.... The punishment may or may not be fitting but it's done...

Let's move on and go again next Saturday...

Cmon u Rs
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:28 pm

There are 10 minute highlights on the official site.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.