Match thread PNE - QPR

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Match thread PNE - QPR

Post by Wegerle » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:47 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:08 pm
Rbee wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm
Are you saying that some players didn't give 100% ?

Stats don't tell you the full story. Liverpool in the 80's probably had 80% domination in most games but most of that would have been passing between the back three!
O please! Talk about clutching at straws! That's right - Preston are the Champ's Liverpool! Get a grip!
I saw the game live today (via stream) and to be honsest we weren't really outplayed. PNE were just a bit stronger but didn't create many chances either. Sylla would have equalised if it hadn't been for save of the season towards the end.
We didn't surrender, weren't demolished, we just just lost by a fine margin to a slightly better team away from home. No alarm bells ringing for me just yet.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:47 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:08 pm
Rbee wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm
Are you saying that some players didn't give 100% ?

Stats don't tell you the full story. Liverpool in the 80's probably had 80% domination in most games but most of that would have been passing between the back three!
O please! Talk about clutching at straws! That's right - Preston are the Champ's Liverpool! Get a grip!
I saw the game live today (via stream) and to be honsest we weren't really outplayed. PNE were just a bit stronger but didn't create many chances either. Sylla would have equalised if it hadn't been for save of the season towards the end.
We didn't surrender, weren't demolished, we just just lost by a fine margin to a slightly better team away from home. No alarm bells ringing for me just yet.
Yep, having also seen it live on the stream, I make you pretty well spot on, Wegerle.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Hang on - where on God's earth did I say the players weren't giving 100%? I simply opined that effort only takes you so far and no further, and shouldn't even be an issue for pro footballers. Is that really so controversial?
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

RType
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by RType » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:18 pm

I'm loving your detailed analysis of a game you didn't actually watch :lol:

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:39 pm

RType wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:18 pm
I'm loving your detailed analysis of a game you didn't actually watch :lol:
Which I acknowledged, and which is why I said I was looking forward to the 'just backs'.

Perhaps the highlights and stats lie, though, and we were competitive from first whistle to last, didn't surrender the midfield, and peppered the Preston goal with shots from all angles.

Still, we're doing better than the Orient, so mustn't get too despondent, eh! Keep the faith with Tony and Lee!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:29 pm

The just backs have gone somewhere else because their experience of watching the game is no match for the analysis on this thread.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:44 am

dm wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:50 pm
Wegerle wrote:
Yep, having also seen it live on the stream, I make you pretty well spot on, Wegerle.
I was there, and felt much the same. We actually defended well as a unit, and restricted them to very few clear-cut chances, though we did concede a lot of possession and gave the ball away far too easily at times. Leistner did very well aside from one horribly sliced pass into touch early on, and Kakay and Ingram did OK. We created very little though. Smith's lack of mobility is a real problem if we're going to play that formation away from home. There were a couple of times where we won the ball in midfield, and an early pass between their central defenders would have caused problems, but instead we had to hold the ball and wait for support. I'm not knocking Smith, as we already know his strengths and limitations, but another mobile option up front before the window closes would be very welcome. Eze showed some lovely touches, but rarely got far enough forward to be any kind of goal threat. Preston are a very efficient unit, and admirable in some ways, but the timewasting and cheating towards the end was infuriating. We still could have nicked a point, but for a fantastic reaction save in stoppage time. The reaction from the travelling fans at the end was largely supportive, aside from one bloke castigating everyone for applauding "Sunday league football".

McLaren's comments suggest there will be some loan signings at least in the next few days, so hopefully we can strengthen and not lose Freeman or any of our better players.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:13 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:44 am
dm wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:50 pm
Wegerle wrote:
I was there, and felt much the same. We actually defended well as a unit, and restricted them to very few clear-cut chances, though we did concede a lot of possession and gave the ball away far too easily at times. Leistner did very well aside from one horribly sliced pass into touch early on, and Kakay and Ingram did OK. We created very little though. Smith's lack of mobility is a real problem if we're going to play that formation away from home. There were a couple of times where we won the ball in midfield, and an early pass between their central defenders would have caused problems, but instead we had to hold the ball and wait for support. I'm not knocking Smith, as we already know his strengths and limitations, but another mobile option up front before the window closes would be very welcome. Eze showed some lovely touches, but rarely got far enough forward to be any kind of goal threat. Preston are a very efficient unit, and admirable in some ways, but the timewasting and cheating towards the end was infuriating. We still could have nicked a point, but for a fantastic reaction save in stoppage time. The reaction from the travelling fans at the end was largely supportive, aside from one bloke castigating everyone for applauding "Sunday league football".

McLaren's comments suggest there will be some loan signings at least in the next few days, so hopefully we can strengthen and not lose Freeman or any of our better players.
Good to read your summation of the game, Ux.

You mention not wanting to lose Freeman but I have a growing feeling that, if we could get £5m+ for him and use the money to bring in a CB and/or striker, it would be no bad thing.

There's no question he's a great player for us, particularly with his ability to deliver from set pieces. But to get the best out of him he has to be used in a particular way - centrally in a three. He would not cope in a four and he's never the same out wide. Plus his propensity to hold onto the ball can be infuriating at times. With the emergence of Eze, and perhaps one or two others, I think we have players who could replace him.

That said, I'd be very happy if we brought in a couple of good loans and kept hold of him.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:50 am

I agree with your excellent assessment of Freeman dm. He is best in the middle and playing further forward which we can’t always accommodate especially away from home.

I still don’t want to sell him this season. I think we would miss his directness as he is always trying to move the team forward, keen to have a shot on goal. The squad lacks experience and Luke is one of our most experienced players. As you have correctly eluded to in the past our midfield is a bit lightweight but Luke isn’t afraid to leave a foot in and give as good as he gets. He is one of our most vocal players too.

With four days to go in the transfer window I think we have left it too late to lose Freeman and use his transfer fee wisely.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Just seen the highlights.

Shame we didn't have VAR - Sylla clearly being held in the box for his chance late in the game.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Indeed he was but by one or two Preston players?

Also did you note the referee's position?

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:27 pm
Indeed he was but by one or two Preston players?

Also did you note the referee's position?
Yep! He clearly didn't spend the summer watching the World Cup.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm confused here, is Stainrod slagging off the effort despite not actually having watched the game?

McClaren really needs to try and work with Sylla. He's not a world beater but we are a better team with him on the pitch imo. Save Smith for causing havoc off the bench.

We started poorly yesterday but go better as the game went on and didn't make it easy for them which is promising on a different day we don't concede a poor goal and their keeper doesn't keep Sylla's effort out. I appreciate we're going to have a lot of days like the former this season. On reflection, i think better teams than us will walk away without 3 points from Deepdale this season and the fact we didn't fall apart and could have got something shows some promise.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:30 pm

I understand Stainrod's frustration, but agree we weren't outplayed.
It's just getting to the point of moronic stupidity that we gift odd goals away from home.

What was Einstein's definition of insanity - "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Staff Benda Bilili

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:32 pm

It was a lucky goal, I would not say it was gifted.