Match thread PNE - QPR

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Match thread PNE - QPR

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:50 pm

I'd say the boot's on the other foot - it's the extent to which people want to get the team's excuses in early and 'manage (down) expectations' that's much more troubling than my moderate tones of 'meh' - talking of how Scowongoman 'never do well against the big teams' (like it's some kind of destiny they/we should fail against certain sides, and implying it's somehow understandable and even acceptable), that we should be relieved we didn't lose 0-3 or 0-4, and other such sub-'Arryisms. We all know about the (self-inflicted) saga of FFP, but the latest coach for the board to throw their precarious weight behind comes, we are told, with a fine professional pedigree (he's won one of his last 11 games in the Championship, you lucky people), has had an entire pre-season to work with the squad, bring in/on new players (or not), and at the end of the day we are playing Preston North End! I'm not throwing my toys out of the pram after the first game, but my whelmometer is well and truly undered.

Shoot me down in flames if you want, but I'd say 30% odd possession, one (or was it two, sorry) shots on goal, and the manager calling our first game of the season 'subdued' and wondering why we didn't play as we did in a few mediocre pre-season friendlies does leave me a mite dissatisfied. I'd say for the Sheff Utd home game the coaches and the side they put out really need to give the supporters a tonic, something to shout about, and make a statement of intent. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I do want to see real pointers. McClaren's post-match talk of us needing to play like he knows we can reminds me of Olly's mantra last season after another bad away result that 'it wasn't us out there'. 'Same old, same old' in other words.

If our midfield is over-run for 3/4 of the game, then either the players or the coaches or both aren't doing their jobs, and we supporters should let them know, rather than applauding like dumb seals, shrugging our shoulders and rationalising our performative inferiority. That's called caring about competitive standards and respecting the side enough to have some reasonable aspirations for them in case some people are finding the concepts difficult. How much lower do some people's expectations have to fall? The way things are going with our status and reputation, if we draw Wealdstone in the F A Cup this year, a lot of people here will probably be turning cartwheels if we sneak through 1-0 with a deflected goal off Mr Smith's left bum cheek.

All of us are in the gutter, but . . . oh, what's the point!
Last edited by stainrod's elbow on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:53 pm

:shock:

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Okay, stainrod's elbow; you're the manager. What's the solution and what are you going to do?

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:12 pm

But I'm not the manager - that's the point (which you're spectacularly missing)!

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:18 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:09 pm
Okay, stainrod's elbow; you're the manager. What's the solution and what are you going to do?
Whine for the entire season
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:31 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:12 pm
But I'm not the manager - that's the point (which you're spectacularly missing)!
I can assure you, I know you are not the manager. I invited you to share what you believe are the solutions to the problems you see. It would appear you have none.

And, yes, before you point it out, I know it's not your job to provide solutions. It's just that, from a supporters point of view, it's much more interesting to discuss football ideas, tactics and that sort of thing than just moan about how awful things are.

But, each to his own.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:34 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:50 pm
I'd say the boot's on the other foot - it's the extent to which people want to get the team's excuses in early and 'manage (down) expectations' that's much more troubling than my moderate tones of 'meh' - talking of how Scowongoman 'never do well against the big teams' (like it's some kind of destiny they/we should fail against certain sides, and implying it's somehow understandable and even acceptable), that we should be relieved we didn't lose 0-3 or 0-4, and other such sub-'Arryisms. We all know about the (self-inflicted) saga of FFP, but the latest coach for the board to throw their precarious weight behind comes, we are told, with a fine professional pedigree (he's won one of his last 11 games in the Championship, you lucky people), has had an entire pre-season to work with the squad, bring in/on new players (or not), and at the end of the day we are playing Preston North End! I'm not throwing my toys out of the pram after the first game, but my whelmometer is well and truly undered.

Shoot me down in flames if you want, but I'd say 30% odd possession, one (or was it two, sorry) shots on goal, and the manager calling our first game of the season 'subdued' and wondering why we didn't play as we did in a few mediocre pre-season friendlies does leave me a mite dissatisfied. I'd say for the Sheff Utd home game the coaches and the side they put out really need to give the supporters a tonic, something to shout about, and make a statement of intent. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I do want to see real pointers. McClaren's post-match talk of us needing to play like he knows we can reminds me of Olly's mantra last season after another bad away result that 'it wasn't us out there'. 'Same old, same old' in other words.

If our midfield is over-run for 3/4 of the game, then either the players or the coaches or both aren't doing their jobs, and we supporters should let them know, rather than applauding like dumb seals, shrugging our shoulders and rationalising our performative inferiority. That's called caring about competitive standards and respecting the side enough to have some reasonable aspirations for them in case some people are finding the concepts difficult. How much lower do some people's expectations have to fall? The way things are going with our status and reputation, if we draw Wealdstone in the F A Cup this year, a lot of people here will probably be turning cartwheels if we sneak through 1-0 with a deflected goal off Mr Smith's left bum cheek.

There are so many brackets in this I thought you were davef for a moment there.

We are where we deserve to be, that includes currently looking up to the likes of PNE, to whom we are an inferior team. I think you need to strap yourself in because we are going to find a lot more superior teams along the way this season. There is no shame losing to a better team, all I expect from every game is a fight and if we can do that we will be ok this season. If the players come off the pitch having given 100%, even if they get battered, they will always have my applause. I suppose that makes me a 'dumb seal' in your eyes. Whatever.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Giving 100% is a given, isn't it? Or should be! They're professional players, right? And has been often stated elsewhere, most of us would do our best if (in our dreams) we ever found ourselves representing QPR. If that's enough for you and the Cub Scout movement, I'm glad it isn't for me. Some people here could give Gerry Francis (phase 2) a run for his money in talking us down - which, in Gerry's case, would have meant taking us down, had he not jumped ship to avoid the embarrassment!

If I'm a 'whiner', better that than dumb gratitude that we weren't mullered today in my book. I couldn't attend (and look forward to hearing from those who did), but today's stats made pretty grim reading for 70 minutes or so at least. I'm also sorry it upsets people to be reminded that it's embarrassing the likes of Brentford have played us off the park in recent seasons. It upsets me, too.

If some of the 'umble defeatists would like to respond to my critique, point by point, telling me why I'm wrong, I look forward to reading it. But won't be holding my breath.
Last edited by stainrod's elbow on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:34 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:50 pm

There are so many brackets in this I thought you were davef for a moment there.

We are where we deserve to be, that includes currently looking up to the likes of PNE, to whom we are an inferior team. I think you need to strap yourself in because we are going to find a lot more superior teams along the way this season. There is no shame losing to a better team, all I expect from every game is a fight and if we can do that we will be ok this season. If the players come off the pitch having given 100%, even if they get battered, they will always have my applause. I suppose that makes me a 'dumb seal' in your eyes. Whatever.
What do you think the beautiful game is - army service? I want to see us play football like McClaren was whining post-match that we can. We have an Australian international, an ex-England coach (I know), the Champ's statistically best playmaker, and two or three highly touted bright young prospects among our ranks. Conceding three quarters of possession, and having barely a goal-bound shot in 89 minutes, to a 'there or thereabouts' team missing two of their best players for most of the game isn't good enough, whichever way the cake is cut. It's a game of opinions, and, if you don't like mine, jog on!

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Are you saying that some players didn't give 100% ?

Stats don't tell you the full story. Liverpool in the 80's probably had 80% domination in most games but most of that would have been passing between the back three!

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Stats don't tell you the full story. Liverpool in the 80's probably had 80% domination in most games but most of that would have been passing between the back three!
O please! Talk about clutching at straws! That's right - Preston are the Champ's Liverpool! Get a grip!

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:10 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:59 pm
Giving 100% is a given, isn't it? Or should be! They're professional players, right? And has been often stated elsewhere, most of us would do our best if (in our dreams) we ever found ourselves representing QPR. If that's enough for you, or the Cub Scout movement, I'm glad it isn't for me.

If I'm a 'whiner', better that than dumb gratitude that we weren't mullered today in my book. I couldn't attend (and look forward to hearing from those who did), but today's stats made pretty grim reading for 70 minutes or so at least. I'm also sorry it upsets people to be reminded that it's embarrassing the likes of Brentford have played us off the park in recent seasons. It upsets me, too.

If some of the 'umble defeatists would like to respond to my critique, point by point, telling me why I'm wrong, I look forward to reading it. But won't be holding my breath.
No disrespect, but I'm having trouble deciphering what the pribbling idle-headed giglet you're on about if I'm being honest.

How can giving 100% not be good enough for you? How can you honestly expect more that that? You're being unrealistic and clearly never going to be satisfied unless we win every game by at least 3. Actually, I'm starting to think that you might me trolling us with this nonsense.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:11 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:08 pm
Rbee wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:07 pm

O please! Talk about clutching at straws! That's right - Preston are the Champ's Liverpool! Get a grip!
Stats give you possession percentages but not where abouts on the pitch. Clutching at straws? One lucky looped header deciding the game. You get a grip, lol

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:23 pm

Unlike a lot on here I actually agree with some of Elbow's assessment of our current plight. Unfortunately, reality is hard pill to swallow sometimes - and like others have said, we will be swallowing plenty this season. It's a cliché, but anything other than relegation will be a real achievement for SMc and this squad. There's a long way to go and the players will give it their best shot I'm sure.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Mr Elbow's assessment seems to be mainly be that players aren't giving 100% - I don't agree - and that our current playing squad isn't one of the best in the league - tell us something we don't already know!

I think the majority of us think that avoiding relegation is the best we can achieve this season. Today went better than I thought it might.