Uncle Tony 2 part nterview....

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Uncle Tony 2 part nterview....

Post by QPR_John » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:05 pm

dm wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:04 am
Indeed Esox but after 7 years in the chair the founder of Air Asia, ranked best low cost airline in the world as well as being Malaysia's largest, is incapable of delivering a football stadium or training ground. I know we could do a lot worse than Fernandes but that's in comparison to other football chairmen who, by any standard, are shady in the extreme.

I'm just tired of the excuses and generalities Fernandes spins. I get the sense he's rather tired of QPR as well. Maybe that's why he's reverting to operating a business model he knows best; a low cost one. Not that QPR has been a cheap business to run, and the FFP fine will sting a bit too. But he and his mates either can't or won't invest the kind of resources QPR needs simply to stay afloat. I just hope the "buy 'em low sell 'em high" strategy works. The club will have to find an extra £10m plus from season 2019/20 onwards.
But he and his mates cannot invest, FFP has seen to that. It seems even if they gave the club the money the FL would not accept it and would still look at it as a debt on the club

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:05 pm

[quote=QPR_John post_id=860581 time=1531659939 user_id=28]
[quote=dm post_id=860575 time=1531649066 user_id=133]
Indeed Esox but after 7 years in the chair the founder of Air Asia, ranked best low cost airline in the world as well as being Malaysia's largest, is incapable of delivering a football stadium or training ground. I know we could do a lot worse than Fernandes but that's in comparison to other football chairmen who, by any standard, are shady in the extreme.

I'm just tired of the excuses and generalities Fernandes spins. I get the sense he's rather tired of QPR as well. Maybe that's why he's reverting to operating a business model he knows best; a low cost one. Not that QPR has been a cheap business to run, and the FFP fine will sting a bit too.[b] But he and his mates either can't or won't invest the kind of resources QPR needs simply to stay afloat. [/b]I just hope the "buy 'em low sell 'em high" strategy works. The club will have to find an extra £10m plus from season 2019/20 onwards.
[/quote]

But he and his mates cannot invest, FFP has seen to that. It seems even if they gave the club the money the FL would not accept it and would still look at it as a debt on the club
[/quote]
Spot on John! It's all about squeezing the lemon until the pips squeak from here on in... or at least until a stadium with a 360+ day a year revenue stream is in place. In Arsenal's case their commercial revenue is similar to their matchday revenue, which is the highest in the world at £100m a season.
https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x ... 00x707.jpg
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 pm

I did say "can't or won't invest" - I do understand they're operating under difficult financial restrictions. I also used the word "resources" meaning a range of things including money but also their time - Fernandes does not seem to be around as much as he once was, and perhaps even expertise - having the right people working on fighting our corner and finding solutions. Plans for the stadium and training centre are 6 years old and not a brick has been laid. This incredible delay looks like it could be down to something more than just bad luck.

I should point out that I do not expect £10m transfers and promotion to the Prem at this time. I do expect us to maintain our Championship status but I worry this is becoming increasingly uncertain.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 am

It'll be what it will be. If you think that the club are dragging their heels on the training ground & the stadium where is the evidence? as I don't see any signs of them not wanting to progress it, even the stadium has been revised to include the possibility of LCS as an alternative; not the sign of giving up IMO. I will reserve judgement on where I think we will finish up next season after the Christmas schedule is over, then we can see what our average points per game is and estimate whether it will be enough to spend another season in the Championship. Until then, I am just going to turn up at games hoping to see some good football for the most part, cheer them on and come on here to praise or critique as fitting.
On a different tack; who will be this seasons scapegoat now Henry, Perch and Onuoha. There are early indicators that Lynch & Washington are front runners :lol:

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 am

dm wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 pm
I did say "can't or won't invest" - I do understand they're operating under difficult financial restrictions. I also used the word "resources" meaning a range of things including money but also their time - Fernandes does not seem to be around as much as he once was, and perhaps even expertise - having the right people working on fighting our corner and finding solutions. Plans for the stadium and training centre are 6 years old and not a brick has been laid. This incredible delay looks like it could be down to something more than just bad luck.

I should point out that I do not expect £10m transfers and promotion to the Prem at this time. I do expect us to maintain our Championship status but I worry this is becoming increasingly uncertain.
I cannot comment on the stadium but are you saying that we would still be were we are with the training ground if there had not been the legal objections

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:58 am

QPR_John wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 am
dm wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 pm

I cannot comment on the stadium but are you saying that we would still be were we are with the training ground if there had not been the legal objections
No not exactly, John. I recognise there have been legal issues with the training ground that have held it up. I'm more expressing my growing incredulity that both projects have been held up for 6 years during which horrendous mistakes have been made with the clubs finances. In the meantime the inflation of football finances means we're becoming less viable as a Championship club. It's a slowly developing crisis I see no real solution to from the owners.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 am

What would be your advice to the owners then, on the grounds that they would listen to you obviously, to overcome these problems?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 am

As I am not a businessman I really couldn't say. However, given there's no end in sight, I would question the time, commitment and expertise they've given to solving these problems.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:12 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 am
As I am not a businessman I really couldn't say. However, given there's no end in sight, I would question the time, commitment and expertise they've given to solving these problems.
As you aren't a businessman, how do you know there are problems? and not just hold ups in the long term planning? I would imagine that the discussions over the FFP decision are taking up most of the resources, both time & money, and will carry on doing so until a line is drawn under it. Perhaps they are waiting for the statute of limitations to run on on the verdict? :lol: