Smithies gone - Offish

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Smithies gone - Offish

Post by Damien » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Unsurprising like Robinson. Good luck to them both(more so Smithies). Steve Mc has got a big job on his hand's alright - but I'm still confident he is the right appointment for our club in it's current predicament. Going to be a while yet before we are real challengers in this league.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Damien wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:06 pm
Unsurprising like Robinson. Good luck to them both(more so Smithies). Steve Mc has got a big job on his hand's alright - but I'm still confident he is the right appointment for our club in it's current predicament. Going to be a while yet before we are real challengers in this league.
With all due respect, do you think / believe there is actually any kind of plan behind this serial madness?

I've got to say I'm as lost as our idiot owners / management seem to be.
Question everything.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Sad that he’s gone but extremely grateful for his performances whilst he was here.

Can only wish him the best of luck and hope his career flourishes. Would be great to see him in an England squad.

Now let’s hope we spend the money, and if and when we do spend it wisely. We know where we need to strengthen

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:29 pm

A statement from the club is needed to make it clear what the club's policy is at the moment: something along the lines that Smithies had a clause in his contract allowing him to talk to any Premiership clubs and that the money received for him means the club do not need to sell any more players this summer.....
Lex Talionis........

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:46 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:44 pm
Damien wrote:
With all due respect, do you think / believe there is actually any kind of plan behind this serial madness?

I'll admit to living more in hope than expectation with the current QPR - but it's where we are. We are paying a heavy price for previous mistakes that's for sure WA :)

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Think White Duck has got it right.

Have been thinking about the time Newcastle sold Andy Cole - Kevin Keegan came out of the stadium and spoke with the fans.

The club's PR on this transfer is P poor given that Smithies is regarded by the fans as a key player and that apparent value of the transfer.

The club's statement could have been much better and had some quotes from LF and Steve Mc about why and the way forward.

To me shows a disregard for the fans yet they expect the fans to keep shelving out on season tickets and backing the club - the fans blindly continue to do so and the club offers that in return.

Can understand the various feelings around the outgoings at the moment.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:12 pm
Think White Duck has got it right.

Have been thinking about the time Newcastle sold Andy Cole - Kevin Keegan came out of the stadium and spoke with the fans.

The club's PR on this transfer is P poor given that Smithies is regarded by the fans as a key player and that apparent value of the transfer.

The club's statement could have been much better and had some quotes from LF and Steve Mc about why and the way forward.

To me shows a disregard for the fans yet they expect the fans to keep shelving out on season tickets and backing the club - the fans blindly continue to do so and the club offers that in return.

Can understand the various feelings around the outgoings at the moment.
I don't think many clubs have much regard for their fans and neither do the football authorities and TV. we are treated pretty shabbily for much of the time with matches being switched around for TV, minimal contact between fans and club etc. I don't expect the club to inform us of all the machinations that take place but when a firm favourite is sold under conditions like these, a statement on the website would be in order.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Damien wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:46 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:44 pm
Damien wrote:

I'll admit to living more in hope than expectation with the current QPR - but it's where we are. We are paying a heavy price for previous mistakes that's for sure WA :)
I think you are right Damien, it looks like we are paying for the profligacy of the past.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:19 pm

White Duck wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:29 pm
A statement from the club is needed to make it clear what the club's policy is at the moment: something along the lines that Smithies had a clause in his contract allowing him to talk to any Premiership clubs and that the money received for him means the club do not need to sell any more players this summer.....
Dream on! But apparently I'm the only one here who think Hoos and Les are irresponsible, incompetent and have no respect for the fans. (I'm not, and they are.)
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:21 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:19 pm
White Duck wrote:
Dream on! But apparently I'm the only one here who think Hoos and Les are irresponsible, incompetent and have no respect for the fans. (I'm not, and they are.)
hysterical hysterical hysterical
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:14 am

White Duck wrote:
You've potentially invented a contractual clause there and made an assumption about our finances. Should the club make a statement saying "We've sold Alex Smithies for roughly what we think he's worth and made a few quid, sorry if you don't like it and we're probably going to have to flog some players 'cos we're skint"?

I'd love to know every inner working of the club, not surprising that we're not fully appraised though.
stainrod's elbow wrote:
White Duck wrote:
If they're reading your posts then i wouldn't blame them for not respecting us.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am

Given that the club was unable to articulate why Ollie was dismissed I don't there is much chance of them being able to explain the reasoning behind Smithies sale.
Come on you Sooopa ........

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:46 am

Satch wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:14 am
White Duck wrote:
You've potentially invented a contractual clause there and made an assumption about our finances. Should the club make a statement saying "We've sold Alex Smithies for roughly what we think he's worth and made a few quid, sorry if you don't like it and we're probably going to have to flog some players 'cos we're skint"?

I'd love to know every inner working of the club, not surprising that we're not fully appraised though.
stainrod's elbow wrote:
White Duck wrote:

If they're reading your posts then i wouldn't blame them for not respecting us.
Sorry - what I meant to write was they're impeccably transparent, marvellously communicative, superbly loyal and have a fabulous eye for a manager. The detailed customer-centred reports on minor trifles like the Family Stand, FFP, sacking Ian Holloway and selling the best keeper we've had for years for peanuts are exemplary jewels in their CVs. I'm grateful they let me in the gate on matchday, because I, clearly, am not worthy.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 am

old pauline wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am
Given that the club was unable to articulate why Ollie was dismissed I don't there is much chance of them being able to explain the reasoning behind Smithies sale.
Not unable, mate - unwilling! It's not Tesco's, and they know we can't/won't go elsewhere, so, like a lot of clubs, they just treat their patrons like shit.

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Stateside Ranger » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:30 am

https://www.economist.com/game-theory/2 ... unheralded

Some highbrow reading on why Smithies has gone for a bargain...

Basically goalkeeping isn’t nearly as important as commonly thought and the oft-trotted numbers like “Smithies saves us 10 points a season” is probably a massive exaggeration.

Don’t get me wrong I think he’s a brilliant keeper. But we’ll start making money on our “sellable assets” when they are outfield players.

Now if only there was an Economist article to explain Charlie Austin’s transfer to Southampton....