Smithies gone - Offish

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Smithies gone - Offish

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:00 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 am
old pauline wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am
Given that the club was unable to articulate why Ollie was dismissed I don't there is much chance of them being able to explain the reasoning behind Smithies sale.
Not unable, mate - unwilling! It's not Tesco's, and they know we can't/won't go elsewhere, so, like a lot of clubs, they just treat their patrons like shit.
I note that are based in Dublin, do you go to the games any more?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Sorry if this is a Spackman but I've not seen anyone mention it...

A Huddersfield Town supporting friend showed me an article on their site stating that they will get a portion of the fee because of a sell-on clause - no percentage given of course.

I know a lot of people like to think that all details of all financial matters should always be shared but there are legalities to be observed about what can be put in the public domain and what can't especially when multiple parties are involved.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:29 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:00 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
old pauline wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am
Given that the club was unable to articulate why Ollie was dismissed I don't there is much chance of them being able to explain the reasoning behind Smithies sale.
Not unable, mate - unwilling! It's not Tesco's, and they know we can't/won't go elsewhere, so, like a lot of clubs, they just treat their patrons like shit.
Not as often as I'd like, and the Dublin Rs now seem to be defunct. It's true I don't enjoy QPR or football half as much as I did as a kid in the mid 70s, sadly. I know QPR fan Robert Smith feels the same. He says it's about getting 'hollower' . . .

Is it football or is it me? Perhaps one or two of you are right and I should post less, or find another hobby.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:24 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:29 am

Not as often as I'd like, and the Dublin Rs now seem to be defunct. It's true I don't enjoy QPR or football half as much as I did as a kid in the mid 70s, sadly. I know QPR fan Robert Smith feels the same. He says it's about getting 'hollower' . . .

Is it football or is it me? Perhaps one or two of you are right and I should post less, or find another hobby.
Like several on here, I've had the odd disagreement with fellow posters, and my interest in football generally has wained with the passing years.

There is no substitute for being at games to reignite the passion, however the sense of tribalism (seemingly a deep rooted, if somewhat guilty thrill ride for me) has largely been replaced by frustration.

Frustration at the fragmented support, the dwindling comradery and the growing divide between the club and it's support base.

I recall being entertained by the occasional outburst from someone nearby, often couched in dark humour or witty insight. Nowadays, and on the rare occassion I can get to games, it's been replaced by mindless, expletive-driven rants, that verge on hatred.

It takes the edge off any enjoyment, and fuels my own frustrations, which I try my best to suppress.

It's similar on this message board. Those who come here and seemingly dis everything about the club, perhaps driven my some other life issues, tend to piss me off.

Seemingly there's growing frustration in society as a whole, and that negativity is as contagious as unbridled fun.

Sure, the immediate fortunes of the club look less than promising, but it's easier to get out of than marriage. I take a break when I start to feel unhappy with the R's. But not to the extent of seeing other women! Rather that than constantly post negativity.

Just my opinion and not aimed at anyone in particular (and not SE), just seemed like a reasonable place to dump my thoughts.

As much as I dislike the phrase "broad church" we are one. Everyone is free to post what they like here (within the rules) and if I feel the need to post a counter argument I will, or simply refrain.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:45 am

bigbobb wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:52 pm

A Huddersfield Town supporting friend showed me an article on their site stating that they will get a portion of the fee because of a sell-on clause - no percentage given of course.

I know a lot of people like to think that all details of all financial matters should always be shared but there are legalities to be observed about what can be put in the public domain and what can't especially when multiple parties are involved.
Yes, it is a Spackman, but, you make a good point about the legal/financial stuff.

kernowhoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:45 am
According to the Huddersfield Examiner, there is also a sell-on clause from which Huddersfield Town will benefit (the percentage has not been revealed, apparently).
There is something about this proposed transfer that we do not fully understand.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 am

kernowhoop wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:45 am
bigbobb wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Yes, it is a Spackman, but, you make a good point about the legal/financial stuff.

kernowhoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:45 am
According to the Huddersfield Examiner, there is also a sell-on clause from which Huddersfield Town will benefit (the percentage has not been revealed, apparently).
There is something about this proposed transfer that we do not fully understand.

Surely the sell on if there is one is based on a percentage of the profit on the transfer but even if on the whole amount it would be pin money to Huddersfield. I'd like to think they would not demand it.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:01 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:29 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:00 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Certainly Giorgio from this MB travels over from Dublin for every game (and a couple of away matches) but I usually see 4-5 members of the Irish R's at every game. Just my opinion but going to games is something that cannot be replicated irrespective of the results and maybe it is that which keeps the glass half full, it's not just the results but the people you meet there and spend time with. I went through a very bad personal patch around 18 months ago when my step daughter died and I seriously considered not going to the games around that time but my wife said that I shouldn't break my routine as it is helpful in the healing process. I drove down from Banbury but when i got to the ground I couldn't face going in and Joe Hylton and Kath saw me and sat down with me for 20-30 minutes whilst I bawled my eyes out and listened to me. Saf and Wrinkly were also good to me too at that time, along with quite a few others which probably aren't known to posters here. My point is that it isn't the results that matter when you go to football, or what the club is or isn't doing right, but it the sense of camaraderie amongst people you would never have met but for QPR. I have observed that on the two main QPR messageboards I use, and the odd time I look at the QPR FB page, it is those who don't go to the games regularly that are the most critical of QPR fortunes and maybe that is because of a general negativity over football in general and the lashing out at QPR is analogous to grieving over a loved one lost. There will come a time when I am no longer able to manage the 150 round trip but I have a feeling that it will be a gradual process but I am sure that the first time I don't renew my S/T it will be with immense regret, not because of the football I will miss but the friends I won't be seeing on a regular basis. QPR is more than the financial restraints we are currently undergoing, more than the elation after 89 minutes at Wembley, more than the disappointment of a defeat or the elation of a win; it is about the fans who go and support their team through thick and thin and help their fellow fans along the way.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.