Smithies off to Cardiff

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Smithies off to Cardiff

Post by DBHoops » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:18 pm

SM wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:52 am
To put it in perspective, Cardiff paid £6M back in January for Gary flipping Madine.
Great point there UxbridgeR.

Also comparable as Bolton were in a pretty desperate state financially... In fact, they were/are in a worse position than we are.
Strikers are valued higher than Goalkeepers unfortunately. Didn't Jordan Hugill go to West Ham for silly money

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:28 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:17 pm
Whatever, really. Your idea of 'discussion' mainly seems to involve ignoring valid counter-arguments/objections (e.g. you don't seem to realise that transfer fees ARE related to the length left on players' contracts in practice, or did you really miss a big part of the discussions of the mismanagement of Austin's departure) or just repeating yourself. I've got better things to do with my time than trying to reason with you.

Where did you say in the above that Smithies was 'invaluable' to the club - in which case, presumably, there's no price that could or should prise him away from us! At least try to use the language intelligently! You basically said that he got off to a shaky start for a game or two - so what! - and then talked up the reserve keepers, who we've hardly seen. Which I find risible, probably because it is.

For the record, if Hoos, Les and Tony do manage to steer the club in palpable year-on-year improvement on the field through player recruitment, high quality coaching and collective ambition, I will be happy to say I was wrong. But they have a great deal to do to win me over, and I doubt their abilities and, in certain respects, their intentions. Others have been far more hostile to the club's leadership than me, both here and on social media. But everyone loves a scapegoat, right?

Sometimes I feel this Message Board is more like a cult - say the 'wrong' thing, and people round on you like you're offending some kind of sacred cow. QPR is my club as much as anyone else's. It's laughable, really, and embarrassing for those involved.
Incorrect, my idea of discussion is not to respond with a level of snarkiness that belittles the person you are responding to. You speak to me like an adult and not a petulant child, then i will respond accordingly. It's not the first time we've been in this situation is it?

I am not ignoring counter arguments. Charlie Austin went for £4m because he had 6 months left on his contract. Smithies may go for £4m because goalkeepers go for less than Strikers. Maybe this IS his market value, even if we don't agree with that and want more. I said his contributions were invaluable. This does not mean he is unsellable. "At least try to use the language intelligently!" this is my point. Try using language in a nicer way, maybe respond with manners rather than childish jibes. My point about Smithies having a slow start is that he is a different keeper with first team experience, maybe just maybe Lumley ot Ingram may be the same and we end up with a great keeper who is already at the club who has not yet had the chance.

The problem with you mate, is that anything that you disagree with you respond in a language that is not debatable. You turn into jibes and name calling, That's why you feel that way. Try communicating without insulting someone and I am sure you will find the message board is less like a cult. You talk about laughable and embarrassing. I suggest you address this by taking a long hard look in the mirror.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks for telling me to stop patronising you, while at the same time telling me what my 'problem' is. aniclap

I'll enter a bet with you that we'll concede at least 10 more goals next season than the one if Smithies leaves, and we don't replace him. Let's say £5 for every goal above/below last season's total in one direction or the other. In other words, put your money where your mouth is.

Still trying to get my head around selling 'invaluable' players for paltry fees, because the club has an inferiority complex when it comes to selling players and some fans, sadly, buy into it. Other than that, I rest my case!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:02 pm

As I said before the only two pence I want to chuck in here regarding Smithies is who holds all the cards?

4m is neither here nor there with our debt or any potential FFP punishment, we’re not about to lose Loftus Road or our club if we don’t get 4m for Smithies.

He’s under contract for a while yet so we’re covered in that regard.

They want our player they need our player they have just acquired a lot of wealth & status.

Outside of QPR you could be forgiven for thinking 4m for a mid to bottom half championship keeper is decent money but to us we know we should be pushing for more.

I guess we will never know what goes on behind the scenes we can only surmise & piece together whatever rumours we hear.

But going back to my original point who holds all the cards us or them, I would have said us but seemingly not unless of course the person at the table representing QPR can’t play poker!

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:17 pm

At last - a voice of sanity! The player is under contract for another two years, had said in the press he wants to stay at QPR for years to come and is settled in Windsor, and, if Cardiff want him, there's nothing at all to stop us putting a realistic-to-off-putting price on his head- let's say £8m-£10m - and see where they go from there, if anywhere. But either way, as you say lala, getting this fee or not is hardly shit or bust for the club.

I'm now wondering how low the club would go for the likes of Freeman, Luongo and/or Smyth. Maybe £5m the lot? As ever, of course, the last people to know will be the fans.

And why stop there? I don't think the likes of Sterling and Bowler left the club nearly quickly enough. Could we not establish bases in Merseyside and Manchester to expedite our creme de la creme more rapidly and respectfully to bigger and better clubs than our modest operation? I'm sure some people here would be applauding the tough-minded but outstanding professionalism of our wonderful hierarchy.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:30 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 pm
Thanks for telling me to stop patronising you, while at the same time telling me what my 'problem' is. aniclap

I'll enter a bet with you that we'll concede at least 10 more goals next season than the one if Smithies leaves, and we don't replace him. Let's say £5 for every goal above/below last season's total in one direction or the other. In other words, put your money where your mouth is.

Still trying to get my head around selling 'invaluable' players for paltry fees, because the club has an inferiority complex when it comes to selling players and some fans, sadly, buy into it. Other than that, I rest my case!
I have no interest in engaging with you further you tedious individual.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:51 am

Please don't embarrass yourself any further now - there's a dear. Incidentally, do you own a mirror yourself?

I'd be grateful if you'd also keep away from my posts going forwards on the serious issues at QPR right now.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:59 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:51 am
Please don't embarrass yourself any further now - there's a dear. Incidentally, do you own a mirror yourself?

I'd be grateful if you'd also keep away from my posts going forwards on the serious issues at QPR right now.
Not embarrassed in the slightest pal. Oooh good comeback.

I believe you responded to my post, but yes. I will as long as you keep your special brand of optimism and discourse away from mine.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 am

I note my question has been studiously avoided. :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:33 am

Not a ball kicked in anger and it's all kicking off on dotorg....

How anyone believes the old "love the club" bollax spouted to the local and national press by players is beyond me....

Some players really have an affinity with the club and fans like Ainsworth for instance....

He wasn't a Bircham, Gallen or Cook who were / are fans....

I can think of others like Peter Ramage, not a legend per se but when you read he still looks out for our results.... You believe him....

All due respect to Smithies but I just don't get that feeling with him.....

Thanks for your efforts Alex and good luck...
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 am

Simply tell Cardiff , no thanks.

£10m take it or leave it. If Smithies doesn't like it then we have the two keepers already in place to replace him.

Smithies was happy enough to sign his contract he has no grounds to be upset if we don't sell him on the cheap.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:40 am

I don’t have a problem with Smithies leaving. It’s Premier league football, probably more money and certainly higher profile. What I do have a problem with is our club not playing hard ball. We seem to accept any offer, rarely make statements along the lines of ... XXX won’t be leaving on the cheap. I don’t remember the last time we turned down an offer, and in doing so, pushed up the price.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:05 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:40 am
I don’t have a problem with Smithies leaving. It’s Premier league football, probably more money and certainly higher profile. What I do have a problem with is our club not playing hard ball. We seem to accept any offer, rarely make statements along the lines of ... XXX won’t be leaving on the cheap. I don’t remember the last time we turned down an offer, and in doing so, pushed up the price.
aniclap

I’d like to kid myself that there is more go on behind the scenes than we realise with transfer dealings but I’m not so sure tbh.

If there was ever a case where we hold all the Aces then Smithies is the one, I would love to know why we aren’t negotiating.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 am

DBHoops wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:18 pm
SM wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:52 am
To put it in perspective, Cardiff paid £6M back in January for Gary flipping Madine.
Great point there UxbridgeR.

Also comparable as Bolton were in a pretty desperate state financially... In fact, they were/are in a worse position than we are.
Strikers are valued higher than Goalkeepers unfortunately. Didn't Jordan Hugill go to West Ham for silly money
I accept that, but Pickford went for £25M and he was less experienced than Smithies. I'm not saying the latter is as good, and Cardiff don't have the spending power of Everton, but equally I don't think Pickford is worth 6 times as much.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:11 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:05 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:40 am
aniclap

I’d like to kid myself that there is more go on behind the scenes than we realise with transfer dealings but I’m not so sure tbh.

If there was ever a case where we hold all the Aces then Smithies is the one, I would love to know why we aren’t negotiating.
Someone was shooting his mouth off in the pub yesterday, saying the low transfer fee was because of our special relationship with “Colin”. Utter tripe methinks.