Smithies off to Cardiff

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Smithies off to Cardiff

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:52 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:29 pm
John in Hemel wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 pm
A sale of a player for more than twice what we paid for him after 3 excellent seasons is exactly how this club used to run before we started signing Brazilian international goalies on £ 5 m a year.
If he goes then he goes with our thanks.imho
Once upon a time John but not in today’s world, Championship clubs are making 10 times on what they paid for a player, we have very few saleable assets left, Smithies is one of them & we should Atleast go back with a counter price.
Have to agree with lala here. Since we signed Smithies, the increased PL TV money has sent transfer fees spiralling upwards. I accept we have to sell players at times, but £4M for him feels like an absolute kick in the teeth. To put it in perspective, Cardiff paid £6M back in January for Gary flipping Madine.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:06 am

Already on various SM feeds so much hatred for Evil Les, Hoos & Uncle Tony. I would guess it is from people whose grasp of reality is a hair detached from most peoples.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:12 am

..what is concerning is that the club is accepting an offer that is much lower to the real value of Smithies....
we all agree that 4M is a real bargain....so I am afraid that we are in deep shit if we allow that... :roll: ssh :(

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:06 am
Already on various SM feeds so much hatred for Evil Les, Hoos & Uncle Tony. I would guess it is from people whose grasp of reality is a hair detached from most peoples.
I dont see your point I think we all have a grasp of reality and accept we have to sell it is the price we have problems with. Selling at a profit is the way forward but it has to be a workable profit.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 am

Define workable profit? I am as disappointed as anyone here about the paltry fee but I am sure and certain that the club is no longer in the frame of mind to bend over and get buttfucked by other clubs so maybe we were forced into selling at the low price and, due to his spells at QPR, Colin was in a position to wander us over on the price. It is my hope that other teams are looking at the situation and willing to offer more. I still haven't seen anything official on this transfer, or the fee and whether it has been actually agreed.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:52 am
To put it in perspective, Cardiff paid £6M back in January for Gary flipping Madine.
Great point there UxbridgeR.

Also comparable as Bolton were in a pretty desperate state financially... In fact, they were/are in a worse position than we are.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:00 am

QPR_John wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
I dont see your point I think we all have a grasp of reality and accept we have to sell it is the price we have problems with. Selling at a profit is the way forward but it has to be a workable profit.
A Premier League club have made an offer for Smithies. Smithies understandably is very interested in the move. We are short of cash, heavily restricted by FFP. Cardiff presumably don't want to pay more than £4M so unless another club makes an offer for Alex our hands are pretty much tied are they not?

Sure we can reject the bid and hold Alex to his contract but then we are left with a disgruntled player and have missed out on a much needed £4m some of which we will need to recruit players, remember we have lost Ned and Robinson.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:42 am

Rbee wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:00 am
QPR_John wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
A Premier League club have made an offer for Smithies. Smithies understandably is very interested in the move. We are short of cash, heavily restricted by FFP. Cardiff presumably don't want to pay more than £4M so unless another club makes an offer for Alex our hands are pretty much tied are they not?

Sure we can reject the bid and hold Alex to his contract but then we are left with a disgruntled player and have missed out on a much needed £4m some of which we will need to recruit players, remember we have lost Ned and Robinson.
There are two ways to finance the running of a football club.

Owners money

Now not possible because of FFP

Buying cheap selling high at a profit

This can only succeed when the income from the sale is sufficient. If we are going to sell players cheaply albeit at a profit this is not sustainable over the long term. It is unrealistic to suppose we can unearth enough talent if we are only making a few million on each sale.

So where does that leave us.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:49 am

Surely profits from sales will affect our FFP standing as well?

It leaves us in the same place we have been for the past few seasons, in the poo. Ollie did pretty well working under these conditions, will Schteve? Let's hope so!

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:26 pm

We all knew this would happen but the price is indefensible although some are trying to defend it. They should've been told 6M minimum or **** ORF! Someone else would've come in. What would Jim G have made of this deal?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Montag wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:26 pm
Someone else would've come in.
Possibly or possible not. Another club still might. Everyone now knows he is available lets see if anything happens.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Must've had a release clause in the contract he signed?
Lex Talionis........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Montag wrote:
We all knew this would happen but the price is indefensible although some are trying to defend it. They should've been told 6M minimum or **** ORF! Someone else would've come in. What would Jim G have made of this deal?
We are in danger of becoming the Aldi or Lidl of football.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 am
Define workable profit? I am as disappointed as anyone here about the paltry fee but I am sure and certain that the club is no longer in the frame of mind to bend over and get buttfucked by other clubs so maybe we were forced into selling at the low price and, due to his spells at QPR, Colin was in a position to wander us over on the price. It is my hope that other teams are looking at the situation and willing to offer more. I still haven't seen anything official on this transfer, or the fee and whether it has been actually agreed.

Eh? Isn't that the very essence of being 'buttfucked'? And what on earth does 'wander over' mean while you're there?

If Smithies is allowed to leave for £4m, Les and Poos have serious questions to answer - end of! (As if they didn't already.)
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:01 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:14 pm
Montag wrote:
We are in danger of becoming the Aldi or Lidl of football.
Well said, Montag and all the 2s! I think we know he'd be spinning in his grave.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star