Smithies off to Cardiff

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Smithies off to Cardiff

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 pm
Thanks for telling me to stop patronising you, while at the same time telling me what my 'problem' is. aniclap

I'll enter a bet with you that we'll concede at least 10 more goals next season than the one if Smithies leaves, and we don't replace him. Let's say £5 for every goal above/below last season's total in one direction or the other. In other words, put your money where your mouth is.

Still trying to get my head around selling 'invaluable' players for paltry fees, because the club has an inferiority complex when it comes to selling players and some fans, sadly, buy into it. Other than that, I rest my case!
What's patronising is suggesting that the messageboard is some kind of "cult" and everyone bar you is a mindless sheep who can't see that the club is being "asset-stripped" by Hoos and Ferdinand.

What would your bet prove exactly ? We all know he's a good keeper, but the goals conceded are about a lot more than just one player.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:21 am

QPR-NI wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 am
Simply tell Cardiff , no thanks.

£10m take it or leave it. If Smithies doesn't like it then we have the two keepers already in place to replace him.

Smithies was happy enough to sign his contract he has no grounds to be upset if we don't sell him on the cheap.
Turning down a transfer fee and then leaving your best player in the reserves would surely be the worst possible outcome. I hope it doesn't come to that.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 am

222gers wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:11 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:05 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:40 am
I don’t have a problem with Smithies leaving. It’s Premier league football, probably more money and certainly higher profile. What I do have a problem with is our club not playing hard ball. We seem to accept any offer, rarely make statements along the lines of ... XXX won’t be leaving on the cheap. I don’t remember the last time we turned down an offer, and in doing so, pushed up the price.
aniclap

I’d like to kid myself that there is more go on behind the scenes than we realise with transfer dealings but I’m not so sure tbh.

If there was ever a case where we hold all the Aces then Smithies is the one, I would love to know why we aren’t negotiating.
Someone was shooting his mouth off in the pub yesterday, saying the low transfer fee was because of our special relationship with “Colin”. Utter tripe methinks.
That Would be the beer talking

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:09 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:21 am
QPR-NI wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 am
Simply tell Cardiff , no thanks.

£10m take it or leave it. If Smithies doesn't like it then we have the two keepers already in place to replace him.

Smithies was happy enough to sign his contract he has no grounds to be upset if we don't sell him on the cheap.
Turning down a transfer fee and then leaving your best player in the reserves would surely be the worst possible outcome. I hope it doesn't come to that.
He'd only go to the reserves if he gets stroppy. If he does the decent thing and honours his contract, continues to perform, he can move when a suitable offer comes in or when the contract leaves us that we have to sell him.

Players have all the power it appears but it in this case.

Cardiff know they are taking the piss. We know they've just landed £200m odd.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:26 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 am
DBHoops wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:18 pm
SM wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am

Great point there UxbridgeR.

Also comparable as Bolton were in a pretty desperate state financially... In fact, they were/are in a worse position than we are.
Strikers are valued higher than Goalkeepers unfortunately. Didn't Jordan Hugill go to West Ham for silly money
I accept that, but Pickford went for £25M and he was less experienced than Smithies. I'm not saying the latter is as good, and Cardiff don't have the spending power of Everton, but equally I don't think Pickford is worth 6 times as much.
Great point Uxbridge, but there appears to be a trend of very young goalkeepers going for stupid money. Pickford and I hear 15m is being talked about for Angus Gunn. For a position where experience is valuable and the keepers prime was traditionally in his early-mid thirties. I wonder whether this trend is down to more athletic ball playing goalkeepers being overvalued? As i said in a previous post, transfer value is pretty much defined by what a buying club will pay and what a selling club accepts. There definitely appears to be more of a value attached to young more mobile keepers and this feels like a shift in the way that the position is viewed in the game, so the fee is based on potential rather than an established body of work. Edit: and I guess the premium is that there are not as many of these new style keepers than the traditional ones

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:02 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:17 pm
At last - a voice of sanity! The player is under contract for another two years, had said in the press he wants to stay at QPR for years to come and is settled in Windsor, and, if Cardiff want him, there's nothing at all to stop us putting a realistic-to-off-putting price on his head- let's say £8m-£10m - and see where they go from there, if anywhere. But either way, as you say lala, getting this fee or not is hardly shit or bust for the club.

I'm now wondering how low the club would go for the likes of Freeman, Luongo and/or Smyth. Maybe £5m the lot? As ever, of course, the last people to know will be the fans.

And why stop there? I don't think the likes of Sterling and Bowler left the club nearly quickly enough. Could we not establish bases in Merseyside and Manchester to expedite our creme de la creme more rapidly and respectfully to bigger and better clubs than our modest operation? I'm sure some people here would be applauding the tough-minded but outstanding professionalism of our wonderful hierarchy.
Out of interest, how do you think we could have kept uncontracted Raheem Sterling at the club and who from our current hierarchy would you blame for this.

The fee for Smithies does seem low but it's also worth noting that seemingly no other clubs had any interest in signing him so perhaps it's a truer reflection of his actual value.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:31 pm

This...

Satch, you are spot on...

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:40 pm

I notice there hasn't been any suggestion that there may have been a clause in Smithies contract of 4m if a Premier League club came in for him?
Or even the notion that the club may've had a gentleman's agreement with him for a PL club?
Or even if there's an on-sell clause...
I appreciate the media speculation around the figure of 4m seems cheap, but there may be other contributing factors at play here.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:18 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:40 pm
I notice there hasn't been any suggestion that there may have been a clause in Smithies contract of 4m if a Premier League club came in for him?
Or even the notion that the club may've had a gentleman's agreement with him for a PL club?
I appreciate the media speculation around the figure of 4m seems cheap, but there may be other contributing factors at play here.
Actually I suggested earlier in the thread there may have been a clause in the contract he signed early in 2017. Interestingly if he hadn't signed a new contract then his original contract would've expired right about now......
Lex Talionis........

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:16 pm

White Duck wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:18 pm
deadendjob wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:40 pm
Actually I suggested earlier in the thread there may have been a clause in the contract he signed early in 2017. Interestingly if he hadn't signed a new contract then his original contract would've expired right about now......
Why is it 'interesting' from any point of view - he DID sign a new contract! The bottom line is 4m is a joke and we don't need to sell - or sell now at the ver yleast. I think it's perfectly possible, reading between the lines, that a factor in Holloway's disgusting dismissal is that he wouldn't kow tow to the new 'sell sell sell' policy. And McClaren will.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Did you enrol in one of those cheap How To Be An Internet Troll courses? You have become a parody of your former persona on here.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:05 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:18 pm
Did you enrol in one of those cheap How To Be An Internet Troll courses? You have become a parody of your former persona on here.
Seemingly so