New assistant coach appointed

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: New assistant coach appointed

Post by QPR_John » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:18 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:11 pm
n22hoop wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:06 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 pm
I must be missing something, but I thought the task of identifying and recruiting rough diamonds from the lower echelons lay with the scouts, i.e. Gary P. and his people. Surely it's rather more of a concern that two key incoming members of the management/coaching staff have, as far as I'm aware, zero experience of the job in any of the top four professional tiers. (And they're supposed to be a step up from Mr Bircham, correct?)

I'm trying to be as open-minded as I can be, but if sacking Ollie and appointing a man with a very mixed record goes tits up, as I've said, Hoos, Les and Tony need to seriously consider their positions - or, I think, be forced out the door by the fans. Let's hope for a coherent pre-season, an ultra-professional 'embedding' process, and a pre-season tour that doesn't make a mockery of a professional football club again!
You come across to me like you actually hope we fail next season so that you are vindicated in your opinion of Ollie & Bircham. "I'm trying to be as open minded as I can be" - honestly it's tiresome. You'd think we'd just sacked Guardiola or Pochettino. It's well documented on here but McClaren's "mixed record" includes winning the league in Holland, coaching the Manchester Utd 1st team (where they won the league every year he was there), taking Boro to the UEFA Cup Final (and what's to be applauded there in not their performance in final, but their performances to get there), managing England etc. If that's a mixed record, and more importantly, one that you deem to be inferior to Ollie & Bircham then you're deluded.

Whilst I acknowledge that it's always a risk to change manager, I believe QPR were stagnant under Ian Holloway. Some of the football & performances were awful. And I genuinely believe he wasn't getting the best out of certain players (particularly Freeman, Luongo & Sylla) and that the 'QPR through & through' speil was wearing thin.
Supporting QPR is more often than not a love affair with varying shades of failing. However, on balance, I'd say it's you who's delusional. Sure, in a career of what, two or three decades, McClaren's had the odd success, but get a grip! Holland was years ago and another league/country, United were a club that were economically and culturally pre-programmed for success, and his England record was, by any sane person's account, a horrorshow that descended to a farce, so more fool you for citing it at all! Like it or not, Ollie has a better record of getting teams promoted from lower leagues - you could call him a kind of poor man's Warnock! Whatever some people's misgivings about the likes of Bircham, replacing the assistants/coaching set-up with non-league rookies because they're mates of the incoming manager, looks to me a case of 'like for like' at best, but more like a high risk strategy, which is what I was alluding to in that part of my comments.

There may have been one or two poor shows under IH, which I wrote about myself, but there were also skilful and courageous performances to applaud. I'm not saying everything was coming up roses, but there were certainly signs of improvement, with the new formation and young players coming through - so it's very much a case of whether one regarded the glass as half-full or half-empty I agree passion isn't everything, and professionalism counts for a lot, but don't expect other clubs will have been falling over themselves to hire our new leader. In fact, I'd say he needs us as much as we need him, if not more, as his own incoming statement seemed to imply - which worries me in itself.

Hence, I reserve my right to be underwhelmed, whatever my pathologising peers might have to say about it. If I have the opportunity to eat my words in due course, feel free to serve them up to me with ketchup!

As for getting behind the club whatever they do, and, worse, this even being seen as the posture of a good supporter, QPR is a personal love affair, not a religious cult. Let me think for myself, even if you can't bear to!
Was that also the case with Holloway

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 pm

I'm trying to be as open-minded as I can be
Yeah right. I bet even you don't believe that.
Call my mind ajar at best! It's the best I can do, I'm afraid - (not) sorry if that offends you!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:44 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:11 pm
Hence, I reserve my right to be underwhelmed, whatever my pathologising peers might have to say about it. If I have the opportunity to eat my words in due course, feel free to serve them up to me with ketchup!

PS As for getting behind the club whatever they do, and, worse, this even being seen as the posture of a good supporter, QPR is a personal love affair, not a religious cult. Let me think for myself as an individual, even if some others can't bear to!
Preach, sister
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?