New assistant coach appointed

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

New assistant coach appointed

Post by old pauline » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:43 am

May I suggest that someone gets on the Kidderminster Harriers Forum to see what Eustace and Gardiner are like. If there is a Kidderminster Harriers Forum

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/ma ... room-team/
Come on you Sooopa ........

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: New assistant coach appointed

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:55 am

So who’s the assistant Eustace or Gardiner or is assistant manager out of fashion these days is it just a bench full of coaches.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:26 am

Coaching, yes. But, these two probably bring to the club considerable knowledge of non-league players - the bargain basement where we shall, no doubt, do some of our shopping in future.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deepseahoop » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am

This would be the exact opposite of our policy when we were in the Prem when we spunked millions on lazy prima donna's not sure we have a choice but apart from that Charlie Austin, Jamie Vardy and our own Sir Les started at the bottom.
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:35 pm

SMC appears to have a good handle on the club's approach to how the club is to be run for the foreseeable future. Lower league coaches with a keen eye for spotting and developing emerging talent. A superficial look at this situation would suggest that Eustace and Gardiner may be in training to take over from SMC when the time comes. I see that William Hill currently have us at 4\1 to be relegated which I am hoping will be a mockery with the potential of the youth players emerging. The defence will be key next season.
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 pm

I must be missing something, but I thought the task of identifying and recruiting rough diamonds from the lower echelons lay with the scouts, i.e. Gary P. and his people. Surely it's rather more of a concern that two key incoming members of the management/coaching staff have, as far as I'm aware, zero experience of the job in any of the top four professional tiers. (And they're supposed to be a step up from Mr Bircham, correct?)

I'm trying to be as open-minded as I can be, but if sacking Ollie and appointing a man with a very mixed record goes tits up, as I've said, Hoos, Les and Tony need to seriously consider their positions - or, I think, be forced out the door by the fans. Let's hope for a coherent pre-season, an ultra-professional 'embedding' process, and a pre-season tour that doesn't make a mockery of a professional football club again!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:06 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 pm
I must be missing something, but I thought the task of identifying and recruiting rough diamonds from the lower echelons lay with the scouts, i.e. Gary P. and his people. Surely it's rather more of a concern that two key incoming members of the management/coaching staff have, as far as I'm aware, zero experience of the job in any of the top four professional tiers. (And they're supposed to be a step up from Mr Bircham, correct?)

I'm trying to be as open-minded as I can be, but if sacking Ollie and appointing a man with a very mixed record goes tits up, as I've said, Hoos, Les and Tony need to seriously consider their positions - or, I think, be forced out the door by the fans. Let's hope for a coherent pre-season, an ultra-professional 'embedding' process, and a pre-season tour that doesn't make a mockery of a professional football club again!
You come across to me like you actually hope we fail next season so that you are vindicated in your opinion of Ollie & Bircham. "I'm trying to be as open minded as I can be" - honestly it's tiresome. You'd think we'd just sacked Guardiola or Pochettino. It's well documented on here but McClaren's "mixed record" includes winning the league in Holland, coaching the Manchester Utd 1st team (where they won the league every year he was there), taking Boro to the UEFA Cup Final (and what's to be applauded there in not their performance in final, but their performances to get there), managing England etc. If that's a mixed record, and more importantly, one that you deem to be inferior to Ollie & Bircham then you're deluded.

Whilst I acknowledge that it's always a risk to change manager, I believe QPR were stagnant under Ian Holloway. Some of the football & performances were awful. And I genuinely believe he wasn't getting the best out of certain players (particularly Freeman, Luongo & Sylla) and that the 'QPR through & through' speil was wearing thin.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:07 am

Whilst I acknowledge that it's always a risk to change manager, I believe QPR were stagnant under Ian Holloway. Some of the football & performances were awful. And I genuinely believe he wasn't getting the best out of certain players (particularly Freeman, Luongo & Sylla) and that the 'QPR through & through' speil was wearing thin.
I've stayed out of it as the usual suspects have pushed the discussion (arguments?) back and fourth, but have to say I totally agree with the above.

By the end of last season I'd had enough and know other season ticket holders who had reached the same point of "is it worth going?" and missed games for weak but better offers.

I am really hopeful we will see players not just playing with passion (and all credit to Ollie/Marc for doing that) but also with guile and applying tactics that are adaptable throughout a game.

roll on the new season for new hopes and dreams :wink:
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 am

bigbobb wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:07 am
I've stayed out of it as the usual suspects have pushed the discussion (arguments?) back and fourth, but have to say I totally agree with the above.

By the end of last season I'd had enough and know other season ticket holders who had reached the same point of "is it worth going?" and missed games for weak but better offers.

I am really hopeful we will see players not just playing with passion (and all credit to Ollie/Marc for doing that) but also with guile and applying tactics that are adaptable throughout a game.

I exchanged views with a Derby fan over the weekend. His thoughts ...Derby played some great football under McClaren in 2014. They then hit a bit of a bad patch and everyone panicked!
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:32 pm

bigbobb wrote:

Can’t argue with any of that, yes we had desire and commitment BUT that will only get u so far.
Let’s not forget the 3 wins in 23 away games, something seriously lacking if you can’t tacticly set up away from home & just rely on the home crowd & atmosphere to motivate a side.

I wasn’t fussed either way with Ollie & I’m not overly bothered about SM, we ain’t going up or down in this division (certainly not with the current crop) so whoever is in charge just has to keep things ticking over i guess.

Shteve’s due a good one so here’s hoping.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:

I'm trying to be as open-minded as I can be
Yeah right. I bet even you don't believe that.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:32 pm
bigbobb wrote:

Can’t argue with any of that, yes we had desire and commitment BUT that will only get u so far.
Let’s not forget the 3 wins in 23 away games, something seriously lacking if you can’t tacticly set up away from home & just rely on the home crowd & atmosphere to motivate a side.

I wasn’t fussed either way with Ollie & I’m not overly bothered about SM, we ain’t going up or down in this division (certainly not with the current crop) so whoever is in charge just has to keep things ticking over i guess.

Regarding not going up or down, things were in the balance last season and it could have gone either way.

If we were to lose any of our key players, without adequate replacements, going down could well be a possibility.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:43 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:32 pm
bigbobb wrote:

Regarding not going up or down, things were in the balance last season and it could have gone either way.

If we were to lose any of our key players, without adequate replacements, going down could well be a possibility.

What really hurts is when we lose players in the last few days of the window with no chance to replace them.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Indeed keep the current crop & we’re neither going up nor down.
Let some big hitters go & we’re bang in trouble.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:11 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:06 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

You come across to me like you actually hope we fail next season so that you are vindicated in your opinion of Ollie & Bircham. "I'm trying to be as open minded as I can be" - honestly it's tiresome. You'd think we'd just sacked Guardiola or Pochettino. It's well documented on here but McClaren's "mixed record" includes winning the league in Holland, coaching the Manchester Utd 1st team (where they won the league every year he was there), taking Boro to the UEFA Cup Final (and what's to be applauded there in not their performance in final, but their performances to get there), managing England etc. If that's a mixed record, and more importantly, one that you deem to be inferior to Ollie & Bircham then you're deluded.

Supporting QPR is more often than not a love affair with varying shades of failing. However, on balance, I'd say it's you who's delusional. Sure, in a career of what, two or three decades, McClaren's had the odd success, but get a grip! Holland was years ago and another league/country, United were a club that were economically and culturally pre-programmed for success, and his England record was, by any sane person's account, a horrorshow that descended to a farce, so more fool you for citing it at all! Like it or not, Ollie has a better record of getting teams promoted from lower leagues - you could call him a kind of poor man's Warnock! Whatever some people's misgivings about the likes of Bircham, replacing the assistants/coaching set-up with non-league rookies because they're mates of the incoming manager, looks to me a case of 'like for like' at best, but more like a high risk strategy, which is what I was alluding to in that part of my comments.

There may have been one or two poor shows under IH, which I wrote about myself, but there were also skilful and courageous performances to applaud. I'm not saying everything was coming up roses, but there were certainly signs of improvement, with the new formation and young players coming through - so it's very much a case of whether one regarded the glass as half-full or half-empty I agree passion isn't everything, and professionalism and results count for a lot, but don't expect other clubs will have been falling over themselves to hire our new leader. In fact, I'd say he needs us as much as we need him, if not more, as his own incoming statement seemed to imply - which worries me in itself.

Hence, I reserve my right to be underwhelmed, whatever my pathologising peers might have to say about it. If I have the opportunity to eat my words in due course, feel free to serve them up to me with ketchup!

PS As for getting behind the club whatever they do, and, worse, this even being seen as the posture of a good supporter, QPR is a personal love affair, not a religious cult. Let me think for myself as an individual, even if some others can't bear to!
Last edited by stainrod's elbow on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star