Les Ferdinand admits he will need to sell QPR stars to fund summer additions

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Les Ferdinand admits he will need to sell QPR stars to fund summer additions

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:48 am

Greyhound wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:45 pm
You effing off would be more preferable, take that bubble-head Elbow nob with you.
I have greyhound I don’t go down there anymore, disillusioned with the whole thing.

Turned qpr into a an unrecognisable mess.

I’m entitled to my opinion maybe I should have toned down on the language or anger but that’s how I feel.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Les Ferdinand admits he will need to sell QPR stars to fund summer additions

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 am

Rbee wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:09 pm
The more you read about Financial Fair Play the more it seems illegal to me. Don't get me wrong I get the idea behind it but it's simply wrong. In the context of our club surely it's Trade Restrictive especially bearing in mind how out of kilter it is with the rules governing The Premier League. You could argue that FFP is partly responsible for keeping our club mid table in The Championship.

The wealthier clubs have always fared better results wise even before there were professional leagues, that's the way of the world. But football changes and football clubs wealth varies from season to season. Blackburn Rovers won the league because of a wealthy benefactor, Leicester did so well winning the league but had a few quid behind them. FFP now restricts such unexpected success.

"If we're able to bring in a couple of free transfers, maybe we'll have to send some out on loan.'' :evil: Seriously?
That's quite a downplaying of Leicester's achievement. They won the league years after FFP came in, and no more "had a few quid behind them" than virtually every other team. We'd been told for years that FFP ensured that only one of the "big" teams could ever win it again. Wrong.

These days we're told that the parachute payments guarantee that teams relegated from the PL will go straight back up. Yet Sunderland have gone straight through to L1 and Aston Villa are looking at a third season in the Championship, and possibly administration to boot.

If anything's holding us back, it's having owners that are no longer prepared to throw money at winning promotion, not that I blame them, since they've already lost a fortune doing exactly that. We could ignore the FFP rules and take another gamble at it, but as Villa are finding out, it's fraught with risk.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 am
Rbee wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:09 pm
The more you read about Financial Fair Play the more it seems illegal to me. Don't get me wrong I get the idea behind it but it's simply wrong. In the context of our club surely it's Trade Restrictive especially bearing in mind how out of kilter it is with the rules governing The Premier League. You could argue that FFP is partly responsible for keeping our club mid table in The Championship.

The wealthier clubs have always fared better results wise even before there were professional leagues, that's the way of the world. But football changes and football clubs wealth varies from season to season. Blackburn Rovers won the league because of a wealthy benefactor, Leicester did so well winning the league but had a few quid behind them. FFP now restricts such unexpected success.

"If we're able to bring in a couple of free transfers, maybe we'll have to send some out on loan.'' :evil: Seriously?
That's quite a downplaying of Leicester's achievement. They won the league years after FFP came in, and no more "had a few quid behind them" than virtually every other team. We'd been told for years that FFP ensured that only one of the "big" teams could ever win it again. Wrong.

These days we're told that the parachute payments guarantee that teams relegated from the PL will go straight back up. Yet Sunderland have gone straight through to L1 and Aston Villa are looking at a third season in the Championship, and possibly administration to boot.

If anything's holding us back, it's having owners that are no longer prepared to throw money at winning promotion, not that I blame them, since they've already lost a fortune doing exactly that. We could ignore the FFP rules and take another gamble at it, but as Villa are finding out, it's fraught with risk.
Surely thet is the very thing FFP is there to stop. What is holding us back is that we are not ignoring F(u)FP

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by sparkypark » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:59 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:19 pm
patrickqpr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:28 pm
Is it just me or does anyone else get a shudder of fear & apprehension by the thought of Les Sh*t for brains Ferdinand having an input in decision making around our club.

Closely followed by that yank tw*t!
I am fairly sure Stainrods Elbow agrees with you about Les ad Hoos.

IMO they are doing OK.
I'll speak for myself. I do worry about Les's performance accountability, plus the 'insulatory Ready Brek' effect of his having been a great player for the club. The next year or so really will show how the pudding gets eaten.

As for LH, the fact that he's American (and hence doesn't have a long historical/cultural familiarity with English football) is apparently unmentionable. He did appear to do OK at Burnley, but I don't particularly take to him, nor like the look of him or some of the thing he says. He's also just ignorant about certain things that matter in contemporary football culture - e.,g. telling us rail seats are a 1 for 1 deal where it comes to safe standing's impact on ground capacity. Like most of the money men at the club, for me, he has his agenda, and, like a politician, fits his 'evidence' around it. So I keep an especially critical eye in my head, for example, when he keeps pushing and pushing his propaganda about the necessity of leaving LR.

If we do see real and steady improvements on and off the field over the next couple of seasons (training ground, attractive football, a properly balanced transfer policy, sustainable investment), I'll be happy to masticate my words. But they've all made such a balls-up of manager/player recruitment, the finances and general PR so often over the years I expect less and less as time goes on.
If Hoos says replacing seats with rail-seats is 1 for 1 he is wrong. The Green Book says it is an increase from one to 1.8, although it does depend on the design of the stadium. It would probably be less in R block (relatively steep) but more like 1.8 on the Lower Loft, for example.

To be fair to Hoos he has at least supported the principle of safe standing publicly. He is reluctant to spend the money on looking at how it might work at LR, but maybe that makes sense as the ground is rarely busting at the seams.

On the issue of FFP, a part of me is pleased that it exists if it has prevented Fernandes from wasting even more money and pushing the debt of this club even higher. Don’t forget he and the other owners have spent something like £230 million to get us where we are today. Given his judgement, without FFP he would have spent twice the and we would going down with Sunderland.
Between my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests. I'll dig with it.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:52 am

Have to say the comments from Sir Les are not particularly clear. He seems to be going round in circles, saying that Perch and Ned were wise old heads who helped the youngsters but that we had to move on - yet now need new experienced players in !

I hope Penrice has got a few attainable targets up his sleeve because I 'd say Les sounds like a flailing politician in his comments.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 pm

I think the gist is that we have to replace Perchy and Ned with players on a quarter of their salaries.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:10 pm

Much like the reasons for Ollie's dismissal that message doesn't come across clearly
Come on you Sooopa ........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 pm

old pauline wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:10 pm
Much like the reasons for Ollie's dismissal that message doesn't come across clearly
I agree, we seem to get mixed messages. I don't know if it's similar with other clubs. At least one thing is clear - we have moved on from the ageing merceneries and seem more like a “proper” club.

Trojan
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Trojan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:03 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else get a shudder of fear & apprehension by the thought of Les Sh*t for brains Ferdinand having an input in decision making around our club.

That’s a fine way to talk about one of our greatest players of the modern era. Shame on you.
Sorry in advance.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:37 am

Trojan wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:03 am
westlondonlalala wrote:

That’s a fine way to talk about one of our greatest players of the modern era. Shame on you.
I appreciate what he did for us on the pitch although I only caught the second half of his last season, but my lasting memory of him was his return with toon & sticking a nail in our coffin.

Anyway I find it very hard to explain my mindset & way of thinking when it comes to Qpr & who we employ but I have this deep inner feeling that few people are worthy of working at our club (crazy I know) I just feel like we’re a social club or drop in centre for ex players or anyone that wants a job in football.

I have this overriding feeling that ex players or ex has beens or ex big names in football drop into little old qpr at some point talk a good game and pick up a wage.

Sir Les granted was a legend & earned us 6m i just get the vibe with him that he’s using his colt status (he’s not the only one) to work at the club, what does he know about running a club or making decisions he woudnt be anywhere near Qpr or in his position of power if he wasn’t an ex player, it was an appointment based on what the heart felt not head.

He has failed miserably with manager recruitment (however much of an input he’s had, he’s part of the panel) if Shteve goes wrong & after ditching a fellow legend, I’m not sure what way Les turns next.

the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 am

What's the point of safe standing ? If we had 2/3 thousand locked out every week i get it but how many times was LR filled last year ?

We can't fill 18 thousand now

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:37 am

The theory is it helps to improve the atmosphere, as it makes it easier for those inclined to be more vocal to be together in one area. Also some people genuinely prefer standing to sitting and are inclined to do so whether or not they're not supposed to.

It won't make a massive difference to our capacity, but every little helps. Our inability to currently fill the ground is directly related to three seasons of mid to lower mid-table football.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:50 pm

I was never happy with Les's appointment.... another Uncle Tony curry favour with the fans appointment....

He's surprised me and has done well in a difficult time for the club...

Lee Hoo's appointment I can't fault.... He done a fine job at Burnley...

Let's start afresh this season and hope we can enjoy watching football down the Bush with a smile again...
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Teflon Les is the one that thought a "young and hungry" :roll: manager like Hasselwank was a better choice than Warnock. Honestly, what qualifies him to be DoF? Tell me someone. What has he done to deserve the job? Score goals for us 25 years ago? Or was it destroying Percy Thrower's garden? - allegedly. I am annoyed.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:45 pm

Montag wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:06 pm
Teflon Les is the one that thought a "young and hungry" :roll: manager like Hasselwank was a better choice than Warnock. Honestly, what qualifies him to be DoF? Tell me someone. What has he done to deserve the job? Score goals for us 25 years ago? Or was it destroying Percy Thrower's garden? - allegedly. I am annoyed.
Bravo bravo 👏

Roll on 20 yrs and Chaz Austin will be DoF..

Uncle Tony star struck as usual with Sir Les, couldn’t pick his nose let alone a gaffer.