Next season.

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Next season.

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 pm

dm wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:52 pm
It should be kept in mind that next season will be the final one in which we receive a parachute payment. It will be £10m and, as last season, it will be the club's largest income stream.

This, and of course FFP, will give the board every reason to look to SM for a much improved final place. Season 2019/20 will be very difficult, and perhaps impossible, for the club to balance the books. The sustainability of the club while in the Championship will become a huge problem.
The unintelligible farce of the FFP aside, why should it be a 'huge problem' for us and not other clubs?
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 pm
dm wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:52 pm
It should be kept in mind that next season will be the final one in which we receive a parachute payment. It will be £10m and, as last season, it will be the club's largest income stream.

This, and of course FFP, will give the board every reason to look to SM for a much improved final place. Season 2019/20 will be very difficult, and perhaps impossible, for the club to balance the books. The sustainability of the club while in the Championship will become a huge problem.
The unintelligible farce of the FFP aside, why should it be a 'huge problem' for us and not other clubs?
I expect FFP to be a problem for other Championship clubs but we seem to be particularly affected because the low income we generate through LR makes surviving in this league very difficult. The board have committed to pay the current £40m FFP fine - or whatever it is - but that won't solve the issue of sustainability.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue May 29, 2018 7:03 pm

Villa will struggle, I think. Below us for sure. Pleasingly.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Paul Fitz
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Paul Fitz » Wed May 30, 2018 9:55 am

Top six finish. Heard it here first.
Alone again in the lap of luxury

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by arrystottle » Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 am

The Championship is following the Premiership pattern where the wealthy clubs are getting stronger and the rest feed off scraps. The Championship , is really a mediocre league overall , despite the hype to say otherwise, and i dont think we are even mediocre at the moment so with Wally at the helm i think if we stay up it will be the best we can hope for. We are a team in limbo waiting either for another rich man to dig deep or relegation and oblivion .Next season the relegation battle will be the highlight of our league and i am afraid we will be in the thick of it.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 am

arrystottle wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 am
The Championship is following the Premiership pattern where the wealthy clubs are getting stronger and the rest feed off scraps. The Championship , is really a mediocre league overall , despite the hype to say otherwise, and i dont think we are even mediocre at the moment so with Wally at the helm i think if we stay up it will be the best we can hope for. We are a team in limbo waiting either for another rich man to dig deep or relegation and oblivion .Next season the relegation battle will be the highlight of our league and i am afraid we will be in the thick of it.
You might be right OR we could finish somewhere like 7th because we have a better coach at the helm now.

Ollie & Birch were not a good coaching ensemble. There's nothing to suggest that we'll be any worse off by replacing them with a superior coach. That has to be how the decision makers at the club see it. And, we have to assume, that they know more about running a club than any of us.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed May 30, 2018 12:31 pm

I don't agree with either of the two previous posts. There are some good signs with a number of the squad already demonstrating that they can more than cut it at this level and 2 or 3 exciting youngsters who could also make a good impact. I'm not convinced that SM is any better placed than Ollie and Birch were to get the most out of the players. There is not a lot of recent evidence that SM has nurtured teams and I thought Ollie and Birch were doing a pretty good job of building a decent team.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm

old pauline wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:31 pm
I don't agree with either of the two previous posts. There are some good signs with a number of the squad already demonstrating that they can more than cut it at this level and 2 or 3 exciting youngsters who could also make a good impact. I'm not convinced that SM is any better placed than Ollie and Birch were to get the most out of the players. There is not a lot of recent evidence that SM has nurtured teams and I thought Ollie and Birch were doing a pretty good job of building a decent team.
This argument will go on ad nauseum until next season is well underway, with no chance of either side in the debate giving way. It is a very polarising debate.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 pm

arrystottle wrote:
FFP has put paid to that route

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu May 31, 2018 8:15 am

QPR_John wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 pm
arrystottle wrote:
Has it ? It seemed to work for Wolves.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:15 am
QPR_John wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 pm
arrystottle wrote:
Has it ? It seemed to work for Wolves.
I was giving the FL a level of credibility with that comment I know silly of me. We will see but I agree and in reality cannot see the FL chasing other club. As Wolves are currently out of the clutches of the FL we will have to wait and see.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu May 31, 2018 10:08 am

Wolves cleverly stayed within FFP regulations over the three years by not spending previously, getting high quality loans in and "banging it all on Red" last season. According to this article they spent £41m on players last season which put them with the 4th most expensive squad, Villa, Hull & 'Boro all spent more and one of them was nearly relegated.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-12387769
*edit. There is also this "The club posted a colossal pre-tax loss of £23.2million for the financial year ending May 2017 but big bucks of the Premier League should ensure they comply with Financial Fair Play." https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... d-14379479
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

flatfoot
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by flatfoot » Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 pm

Derby under Lampard

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu May 31, 2018 3:51 pm

flatfoot wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 pm
Derby under Lampard
First thing him & Jody Morris will need to do is get the league to approve Derbys new team name..

Chelsea development squad.. care off Derby County.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu May 31, 2018 3:57 pm

Villa up sh*t street in a big way apparently, only two players with two years+ left on there contract, owner doesn’t want to put any more money in & after parachute payments dry up they will be showing massive losses.

I won’t pretend to know anything about the running of a club or ffp but apparently Villa could be in a bit of trouble.