Next season.

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Next season.

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 28, 2018 1:24 pm

I have been trying have a stab at which three teams (hopefully there will be more) will be below us next season.
Rotherham, based on their performance in the PO final.
Ipswich, MM was working miracles there despite the attritional football and they may have made a mistake getting shot of him.
Wigan, unless they reinforce heavily, which traditionally they don't, they might struggle next season.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Next season.

Post by Devonranger » Mon May 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Would probably add Hull and Bolton in there....

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 pm

If you are thinking we will be concerned with the bottom of the table throughout the season then McClaren will be out by Christmas and we would have gone backwards and might as well have kept Olly.
Lex Talionis........

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon May 28, 2018 2:36 pm

I would be happy with a top half finish (it's been a while), and something called the 4th round of the FA Cup.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 pm
If you are thinking we will be concerned with the bottom of the table throughout the season then McClaren will be out by Christmas and we would have gone backwards and might as well have kept Olly.
One task at a time, get to 50 points and see where we are from there. It was just for a bit of end of season musing.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon May 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Agreed. If we're down among the dead men at Xmas, he'll have dismally failed - by contrast with Ollie surely having done just about everything that was asked of him. I'd say an upper mid-table finish is a minimum ambition for next season, rather than depressingly getting our pessimism early by wondering if we'll hold ourselves just above the relegation trapdoor.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon May 28, 2018 5:40 pm

I would add Brum who are heading for a period of austerity.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 28, 2018 5:49 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:35 pm
Agreed. If we're down among the dead men at Xmas, he'll have dismally failed - by contrast with Ollie surely having done just about everything that was asked of him. I'd say an upper mid-table finish is a minimum ambition for next season, rather than depressingly getting our pessimism early by wondering if we'll hold ourselves just above the relegation trapdoor.
Just for you then, pick 16 teams that will finish below us next season.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon May 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Blackburn, Wigan, Rotherham, Stoke, Birminham, Ipswich, Norwich, Bolton, Millwall, Reading, Swansea, Hull, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest and Bristol City.

Top half finish.
Lex Talionis........

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon May 28, 2018 6:25 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Yeah, good old Ollie. I remember you getting right behind him during his time in charge. McLaren should be so lucky.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Mon May 28, 2018 6:34 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
There is a difference between 'our' ambition and the Board's ambition, whether theirs is declared, or not. Top half, a cup run and some of the younger players flourishing may be fine for us, but, I have a suspicion that what the Board really wants is a bit more than that.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon May 28, 2018 6:49 pm

I would expect the board will be looking at a significant improvement on this season's 16th place: if not in the play offs then close to them.
Lex Talionis........

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon May 28, 2018 6:52 pm

It should be kept in mind that next season will be the final one in which we receive a parachute payment. It will be £10m and, as last season, it will be the club's largest income stream.

This, and of course FFP, will give the board every reason to look to SM for a much improved final place. Season 2019/20 will be very difficult, and perhaps impossible, for the club to balance the books. The sustainability of the club while in the Championship will become a huge problem.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon May 28, 2018 7:12 pm

I thought exactly the same about Sheff Utd & Millwall last season & look how that turned out.

Blackburn & Wigan could well push on, only takes momentum & organisation to give u a good platform.

Rotherham yes I would imagine on paper will struggle but who knows tbh let’s just concentrate on us i’d be surprised if relegation was ever a topic of conversation for qpr next season I think we showed to much pottential last season.

Having said that I will state this if we lose two or three big names it could be a different story for us.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon May 28, 2018 10:36 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:25 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Yeah, good old Ollie. I remember you getting right behind him during his time in charge. McLaren should be so lucky.
O please, how many more times! Sure, I had some criticisms of Ollie - the game I watched at Nottm Forest stuck in the craw, as did the Brentford cup match. But, for the final time, he did a decentish job overall, and shouldn't have been removed as he was.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star