Holloway Breaks his silence

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

Post Reply
northernr
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:05 am
Location: Oop North - Chester

Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by northernr » Tue May 22, 2018 11:43 am

some nice comments - I agree with him, think from a player perspective we are in a better position.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/bit ... pr-sacking

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 am

He doesn't exactly lift the lid on the reasons - though, this being football, the facts are probably as usual tied up like the Crown Jewels in legal gaggings and what not, and sod the fans!

When he says 'bitterly disappointed', I'm curious as to whether he's just coining a cliched collocation, or whether he's really 'bitter' (or more bitter than disappointed). I might well be in his shoes, but either way brief statement carries a hell of a lot more dignity than the actions of his employers.

The most undeserved sacking this year? I'd say it's in the top 1!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am

Also the phrase 'asked to leave the club' does allude, albeit euphemistically, to the fact that he was effectively sacked - something Hoos, Les and Tony didn't between them have the guts to spell out. Whether people think a change was right or not, I still feel ashamed for him if only for that.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

User avatar
ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 2099
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am
Location: The daddy of Abbots

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by ActonArthur » Tue May 22, 2018 12:05 pm

Well it certainly indicates he did not want to leave because of his mother or other such falsehoods. Given the improvement, I think he was hard done to. Putting aside his replacement for one moment as it is not a question of supporting the new man. It is my belief that we are losing out on the benefits of allowing the right man a prolonged period of several seasons to build a meaningful squad. If the powers have now decided that IH is now the wrong man, I hope his replacement finally is. Now taking the replacement into question what indicates that he is worth the gamble of throwing everything up in the air yet again.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by old pauline » Tue May 22, 2018 12:20 pm

I agree with the above comments but what is done is done and we must now embrace the new regime. Such a shame to see Ollie go though. I was incredibly taken with what he did for the club second time around. I hope he gets the chance to implement his ideas at another club soon.
Come on you Sooopa ........

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 pm

ActonArthur wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:05 pm
Well it certainly indicates he did not want to leave because of his mother or other such falsehoods. Given the improvement, I think he was hard done to. Putting aside his replacement for one moment as it is not a question of supporting the new man. It is my belief that we are losing out on the benefits of allowing the right man a prolonged period of several seasons to build a meaningful squad. If the powers have now decided that IH is now the wrong man, I hope his replacement finally is. Now taking the replacement into question what indicates that he is worth the gamble of throwing everything up in the air yet again.
I hop you're not implying that the Holy Trinity of Tone, Hooie and Sir Les apparently couldn't pick their own noses, let alone a long-term manager. McClaren is indisputably the right man. As was Warnock. And Hughes. And Ramsey. And JFH. One day, I don't doubt, Wild Thing will be. And ... oh, what's the point?
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6804
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 am
He doesn't exactly lift the lid on the reasons - though, this being football, the facts are probably as usual tied up like the Crown Jewels in legal gaggings and what not, and sod the fans!

When he says 'bitterly disappointed', I'm curious as to whether he's just coining a cliched collocation, or whether he's really 'bitter' (or more bitter than disappointed). I might well be in his shoes, but either way brief statement carries a hell of a lot more dignity than the actions of his employers.

The most undeserved sacking this year? I'd say it's in the top 1!
Think Big Sam might have something to say about that, took Everton from relegation threatened to eighth, with someone else’s team and no time to bed in.

Now that is what you call undeserved.

User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4891
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Swinedon

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by Rbee » Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm

“It has been a privilege and honour to have been QPR manager not once but twice, for over 300 matches. “I am bitterly disappointed to have been asked to leave the club, but I proudly believe it is in a better place than when I arrived.''

''I’m sure the club will go on from strength to strength and I thank the fans for their wonderful passion and the support they gave me and my team.“I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure and wish the club all the very best for the future. Come on you Rs!”

aniclap

Nick_Hammersmith
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by Nick_Hammersmith » Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 am
He doesn't exactly lift the lid on the reasons - though, this being football, the facts are probably as usual tied up like the Crown Jewels in legal gaggings and what not, and sod the fans!

When he says 'bitterly disappointed', I'm curious as to whether he's just coining a cliched collocation, or whether he's really 'bitter' (or more bitter than disappointed). I might well be in his shoes, but either way brief statement carries a hell of a lot more dignity than the actions of his employers.

The most undeserved sacking this year? I'd say it's in the top 1!
Think Big Sam might have something to say about that, took Everton from relegation threatened to eighth, with someone else’s team and no time to bed in.

Now that is what you call undeserved.
I could never watch a big sam team week in week out
remember that turgid west ham game in the pl?

Nick_Hammersmith
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by Nick_Hammersmith » Tue May 22, 2018 1:10 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am
Also the phrase 'asked to leave the club' does allude, albeit euphemistically, to the fact that he was effectively sacked - something Hoos, Les and Tony didn't between them have the guts to spell out. Whether people think a change was right or not, I still feel ashamed for him if only for that.
they usually say left by mutual consent, as that final year will get paid in part.
so, legally its different from being sacked

User avatar
westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6804
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue May 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Nick_Hammersmith wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 am
He doesn't exactly lift the lid on the reasons - though, this being football, the facts are probably as usual tied up like the Crown Jewels in legal gaggings and what not, and sod the fans!

When he says 'bitterly disappointed', I'm curious as to whether he's just coining a cliched collocation, or whether he's really 'bitter' (or more bitter than disappointed). I might well be in his shoes, but either way brief statement carries a hell of a lot more dignity than the actions of his employers.

The most undeserved sacking this year? I'd say it's in the top 1!
Think Big Sam might have something to say about that, took Everton from relegation threatened to eighth, with someone else’s team and no time to bed in.

Now that is what you call undeserved.
I could never watch a big sam team week in week out
remember that turgid west ham game in the pl?
If it got us in the premier league I could watch it week in week out.

User avatar
n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am
Location: bounds green

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by n22hoop » Tue May 22, 2018 1:55 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am
Also the phrase 'asked to leave the club' does allude, albeit euphemistically, to the fact that he was effectively sacked - something Hoos, Les and Tony didn't between them have the guts to spell out. Whether people think a change was right or not, I still feel ashamed for him if only for that.
Try to see beyond the emotional attachment you have to Ollie. Most football manager get sacked at some point or other. In the modern game it's nothing really to be ashamed of. The language used by Hoos is typical of the language that would be used by 99% of clubs. i.e. they thanked him for his excellent contribution, wished him well for the future and said it was time for a change etc. Or in other words, yes he was sacked. He won't starve mate, he was very well paid for his services.

If we'd ended up 7th (having narrowily avoided relegation last season) then I'd agree that sacking him was harsh. But we didn't, we were 16th and, for much of the season, played some decidedly average football based on, at times, questionable tactics. Also for a manage who prides himself on motivation his side failed to turn up on a number of occasions last season. Changing a manager on that basis shouldn't really be a suprise to you.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:14 pm
Location: Back in Southampton - missing the sun.

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by Spanish Ranger » Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:55 pm
Try to see beyond the emotional attachment you have to Ollie. Most football manager get sacked at some point or other. In the modern game it's nothing really to be ashamed of. The language used by Hoos is typical of the language that would be used by 99% of clubs. i.e. they thanked him for his excellent contribution, wished him well for the future and said it was time for a change etc. Or in other words, yes he was sacked. He won't starve mate, he was very well paid for his services.

If we'd ended up 7th (having narrowily avoided relegation last season) then I'd agree that sacking him was harsh. But we didn't, we were 16th and, for much of the season, played some decidedly average football based on, at times, questionable tactics. Also for a manage who prides himself on motivation his side failed to turn up on a number of occasions last season. Changing a manager on that basis shouldn't really be a suprise to you.
Agree with this. Have loved having Olly being here and seeing the spirit in the club and players visibly improve - this will be Olly's legacy. But in all honesty, some of the tactics last year appeared to be clueless and as examples, I doubt we would have got the best out of Furlong or Bidwell or even Pawel if injuries hadn't forced us into 4-4-2. As fullbacks, both have come on signifcantly since then and Bidwell is back to the player we bought, rather than trying to convert to a wing-back, a role for which he is entirely unsuitable. Also, Ramsey developed some great youth talent in a way that we haven't seen for years and IMO this was a massive factor.

Olly (and Birch) were bought in to do a job - reduce the wage bill, get rid of the dead wood, bring back some passion ("this is our cave") and he succeeded brilliantly in all of these, but that doesn't mean he is the man to take us forward. I have worked in several compaines (big and small) where people have been bought in to turn the whole business or a department around but as soon as progress starts to be made, they get replaced. For many employees this is crazy, but actually it makes a lot of sense, as most managers have specific skill sets which suit a business at a certain point but can be unsuitable in the longer term. I believe/hope that as a coach SMC has the skills to develop and bring on the youth players and that with less egos around the place, man management and motiviation should be less important.

I think this was the right time to make the change and move away from Olly to a manager/coach with different skills (clearly the jury is still out on whether that is SMC), even though it feels painful at the moment.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue May 22, 2018 5:24 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:55 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am
Also the phrase 'asked to leave the club' does allude, albeit euphemistically, to the fact that he was effectively sacked - something Hoos, Les and Tony didn't between them have the guts to spell out. Whether people think a change was right or not, I still feel ashamed for him if only for that.
Try to see beyond the emotional attachment you have to Ollie. Most football manager get sacked at some point or other. In the modern game it's nothing really to be ashamed of. The language used by Hoos is typical of the language that would be used by 99% of clubs. i.e. they thanked him for his excellent contribution, wished him well for the future and said it was time for a change etc. Or in other words, yes he was sacked. He won't starve mate, he was very well paid for his services.

If we'd ended up 7th (having narrowily avoided relegation last season) then I'd agree that sacking him was harsh. But we didn't, we were 16th and, for much of the season, played some decidedly average football based on, at times, questionable tactics. Also for a manage who prides himself on motivation his side failed to turn up on a number of occasions last season. Changing a manager on that basis shouldn't really be a suprise to you.
Why should I? Football's an emotional girl, though given you're one of the people who bring it all down to earnings, despite my and others' pleas to the contrary, I'm guessing for you it's just a numbers game in the end.

If Ollie didn't want to leave, and it sounds like he definitely didn't, then effectively he has been sacked, and 'mutual consent' doesn't come into it.I suspect Hoos' bullshit (or at best ambiguously self-serving) statement was deliberately intended to muddy the waters. What do we think Ollie was being paid for his services - somewhere between £5-£10k at a minimum? Whatever it was, I'd say he's be due somewhere between a quarter and half a million for the year left on his contract. For a club that's supposedly shopping in Lidl every week, apart from the decision itself, that's great financial management from the club, I don't think.

Ollie's entitled to be 'bitterly disappointed' in my opinion, so he clearly doesn't share your urbane view that, for me, borders on cynicism. I don't think lack of effort was a significant issue last season, and I doubt whether another manager would have got more out of the players in a time of transition, with lots of youth and limited flair elsewhere. We shall see with the new incumbent.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

User avatar
deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Holloway Breaks his silence

Post by deadendjob » Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Spanish Ranger wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm
n22hoop wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:55 pm
Try to see beyond the emotional attachment you have to Ollie. Most football manager get sacked at some point or other. In the modern game it's nothing really to be ashamed of. The language used by Hoos is typical of the language that would be used by 99% of clubs. i.e. they thanked him for his excellent contribution, wished him well for the future and said it was time for a change etc. Or in other words, yes he was sacked. He won't starve mate, he was very well paid for his services.

If we'd ended up 7th (having narrowily avoided relegation last season) then I'd agree that sacking him was harsh. But we didn't, we were 16th and, for much of the season, played some decidedly average football based on, at times, questionable tactics. Also for a manage who prides himself on motivation his side failed to turn up on a number of occasions last season. Changing a manager on that basis shouldn't really be a suprise to you.
Agree with this. Have loved having Olly being here and seeing the spirit in the club and players visibly improve - this will be Olly's legacy. But in all honesty, some of the tactics last year appeared to be clueless and as examples, I doubt we would have got the best out of Furlong or Bidwell or even Pawel if injuries hadn't forced us into 4-4-2. As fullbacks, both have come on signifcantly since then and Bidwell is back to the player we bought, rather than trying to convert to a wing-back, a role for which he is entirely unsuitable. Also, Ramsey developed some great youth talent in a way that we haven't seen for years and IMO this was a massive factor.

Olly (and Birch) were bought in to do a job - reduce the wage bill, get rid of the dead wood, bring back some passion ("this is our cave") and he succeeded brilliantly in all of these, but that doesn't mean he is the man to take us forward. I have worked in several compaines (big and small) where people have been bought in to turn the whole business or a department around but as soon as progress starts to be made, they get replaced. For many employees this is crazy, but actually it makes a lot of sense, as most managers have specific skill sets which suit a business at a certain point but can be unsuitable in the longer term. I believe/hope that as a coach SMC has the skills to develop and bring on the youth players and that with less egos around the place, man management and motiviation should be less important.

I think this was the right time to make the change and move away from Olly to a manager/coach with different skills (clearly the jury is still out on whether that is SMC), even though it feels painful at the moment.
Agree with all of this, of course he's going to be disappointed. There'll be aspects of his sacking that could've been handled better (as always), but ultimately the club removed a manager who under performed in the league and was asked to move on at the end of the season. There's no easy way to break it to them.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: angloraider, Google [Bot] and 28 guests