Steve McClaren confirmed

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Steve McClaren confirmed

Post by Satch » Sun May 20, 2018 3:11 pm

T-Block wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:00 am
Satch-you are on £10 -we are in the bottom 3 in January 2019.

Dreadful appointment
Good stuff. Is your view that we'll be there all of January or just at some point. I'm happy to make the bet the latter, just curious on your view. If i win, the cash can go to the tiger cubs.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sun May 20, 2018 4:39 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 am

While questioning his part in the "debacles" with England, Forest, Newcastle and Derby, remember to think about how wildly successful all four of those were before and after his time in charge. There's more to it than just the manager.
That is a very valid point you are making Uxbridge.
I wouldn't have minded another season of stability with Holloway. We weren't going to win any trophies or promotion but I was just glad to have steadied the ship.

Now it Steves turn. I don't dislike him and he has done some good in his career, so lets see what happens. To be honest I would be happy with a mid table position and an FA Cup run beyond the 3rd round! Surely it's our year to reach round 4?! :)

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun May 20, 2018 4:43 pm

old pauline wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:05 pm
You could find whatever statistics you like to justify his case. Or not. Graham Taylor, Sven, Bobby Robson, you could choose whichever former England manager, manager who has worked abroad etc. to justify his case or not. Personally, I don't see any evidence that he has particularly brought through any significant number of young players in his previous jobs. Certainly no more than ISH has ever done.
That's a bit of a different argument to the one being put forward on this thread that SM's managerial record is no better than or inferior to IH's.

Measuring how many young players have come through is also significantly more subjective.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:39 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:

While questioning his part in the "debacles" with England, Forest, Newcastle and Derby, remember to think about how wildly successful all four of those were before and after his time in charge. There's more to it than just the manager.
I wouldn't have minded another season of stability with Holloway. We weren't going to win any trophies or promotion but I was just glad to have steadied the ship.

Now it Steves turn. I don't dislike him and he has done some good in his career, so lets see what happens. To be honest I would be happy with a mid table position and an FA Cup run beyond the 3rd round! Surely it's our year to reach round 4?! :)
That's exactly the kind of clueless utopian thinking that is holding this club back, Wegerle. Get real :wink:
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 1:39 pm
T-Block wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:00 am
Satch-you are on £10 -we are in the bottom 3 in January 2019.

Dreadful appointment
Your saying we will be in bottom 3 come jan 19?

You can have a grand on that with me if u like.

There will always be 3 worse than us, always.
I'm sure Sunderland thought the same - not that I'm advocating the notion we'll be bottom 3.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun May 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:39 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:

It's clearly not! The whole point of bringing a (good) manager is to improve things, or what's the point? Sounds like you're getting McClaren's excuses in early for him (read, 'We can't expect too much - after all, we'd only finished in the bottom half the two seasons before').

I give up! aniwall
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun May 20, 2018 7:39 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:46 pm
Supporting the team doesn't mean applauding everything the club does and everyone who walks in the door like some stupid seal! (If you love and support your partner, does that mean you never tell them when they're wrong? Criticality, actually, is a function of love, not its absence.) I hope McClaren makes me eat my words and bucks his career trend by doing well, but he hasn't had bad patches, as another poster has claimed - in fact, he's mostly failed as a coach/manager, and sometimes embarrassingly so. His interview on the Offish talks a good game, but so did Olly. If I'd been interviewing him, I'd have been interested to have learned his take on his part on his debacles with England, Forest, Newcastle and his Derby decline, as much as why he needs/wants a job at QPR. Mind you, I'm not a real supporter, apparently.
As if any interview on an Official club website is ever going to ask those type of questions, especially of a newly employed manager.

I meant his interview for the job (assuming he actually had one)! Obviously, the facile likes of the Offish and the PR Podcast come from the Terry Wogan school of analytical journalism!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

superh00p
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by superh00p » Mon May 21, 2018 11:38 am

Had quick flick through Derby message boards and they're all really positive about him - plays great football, had an over 50% win ratio first time around which got him the Newcastle job - and was really unlucky to be sacked second time around.

Cheered me up anyway!

Don Gibbons
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Don Gibbons » Mon May 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Shaun Derry comment (Summer 2013):

"Steve arrived on the first day of pre-season and when he arrived Shaun Wright-Phillips just said 'this man is a top, top coach'.

"And he absolutely went on to be in the short time I was there. What a fantastic coach but a real nice guy as well.

"He is inventive, he is creative and is unbelievably organised. The message he puts across is that you train with an enjoyment. He really is the full package."

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 pm

It'll be just the fans then that hate him and wish for him to fail. :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm

superh00p wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:38 am
Had quick flick through Derby message boards and they're all really positive about him - plays great football, had an over 50% win ratio first time around which got him the Newcastle job - and was really unlucky to be sacked second time around.

Cheered me up anyway!
No mention on there forum that there manager who said he’s dream job was to manage derby that he was there for the long haul, a long term project..

...has now asked for permission to Spk to Stoke City after being incharge at pride park for just over a year.

God that club don’t get a lot of luck.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm

No mention on there forum that there manager who said he’s dream job was to manage derby that he was there for the long haul, a long term project..

...has now asked for permission to Spk to Stoke City after being incharge at pride park for just over a year.

God that club don’t get a lot of luck.
They never had 'arry rock up for the job, how much more luck does a team need?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Spanish Ranger » Tue May 22, 2018 9:22 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 am
They never had 'arry rock up for the job, how much more luck does a team need?
Not so hasty, if Rowett leaves then there's plenty of time to agree terms with Arry.....................

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 am

Wasn’t Harry there recently advisor role or some bull sh*t title.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 am

So where do we think Sir Ian of Holloway will go ?

I can see him going to Ipswich.
Come on you Sooopa ........