TF's obsession with 'name' managers

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

TF's obsession with 'name' managers

Post by DBHoops » Fri May 11, 2018 5:06 pm

What is the obsession that our board have with a 'big name' manager?

I have a suspicion that this is not about what is best for the club, or the playing squad, but for the public image of Tony Fernandes in Malaysia & the rest of South East Asia. As we know he is a marketer and a PR guy and managers like Ian Holloway, Neil Warnock or Gareth Ainsworth or up and comers like the Cowley Brothers have little profile outside of these shores. However, Ex-England manager is a badge of honour for our leader to peddle around the world (McLaren), Failing that then Premier League Managers (Redknapp, Moyes, Pardew) or even Premier League managers who used to be world renowned players (Mark Hughes). I am sure his obsession with 'Dream manager' Paul Clement was down to be able to spin his Real Madrid links.

I can't work out any other reason why we keep going down the same rabbithole over and over again, and this is the best I can come up with

aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall aniwall

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: TF's obsession with 'name' managers

Post by Satch » Fri May 11, 2018 5:32 pm

As you know mate, i'm not wild about McLaren - but i'm not convinced there is that much gravitas in his appointment these days and he may well have impressed Fernandes in his previous spell so i don't think it's quite as vain an act as the appointment of Redknapp appeared to be.

Regarding Clement it could have been the Real connection or that of his dad, it was a fairly popular view on here and i can't claim i was against the idea. Although i think we might have had a near miss there.

I think short-termism and the compulsion to try and change things up to expedite success are just as plausible explanations. Again, whist McLaren isn't my first choice and i have general concerns about this. I can also see why the club have acted, it might not be prudent but as someone who was unconvinced about Holloway's ability to really make meaningful progress - i see arguments for it.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Fri May 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Satch, whilst I concede that McLaren's star has waned, it's not hard to see that the tag Ex-England manager has a kudos attached to it, regardless of who it was. To me it's all about how it looks, not here, but in his homeland and key business areas. Tony is revered in Malaysia, so another feather in his cap to convince a former England boss to join 'Little old QPR' - adds to his legend. What a negotiator, what a business man!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri May 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Is there a chance it may be someone other than McLaren ? I don't know, if the club contacted him prior to Mr Holloway's dismissal, why it hasn't been announced by now.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Fri May 11, 2018 5:43 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:40 pm
Is there a chance it may be someone other than McLaren ? I don't know, if the club contacted him prior to Mr Holloway's dismissal, why it hasn't been announced by now.
Even if it isn't McLaren 222, the names we're being linked with are all Premier League managers or former ones. All whom will have recognition in Malaysia.

The only exception is Gareth Ainsworth. We all know he's not getting it (would be happy enough to be proved wrong)

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Fri May 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Maybe they are looking for new investors for the club, on whom a 'name' manager would make a more favourable impression?
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Fri May 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Yes, 'linked with' - that great forecaster of events, which has nothing to do with agents and the media punting nonsense to mugs.

Ramsey/JFH / Holloway - hardly famous in Asia, just to spoil the theory a little.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Fri May 11, 2018 6:43 pm

kernowhoop wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:23 pm
Maybe they are looking for new investors for the club, on whom a 'name' manager would make a more favourable impression?
Good shout, but it doesn't explain the Mark Hughes/Harry Redknapp appointments!

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sat May 12, 2018 6:20 pm

You can't really blame Ton-e for picking house hold name managers. He's a businessman and a football fan, not a football person.
A lot of these managers have got their status on their own merit, whether you like them or not.
You're clutching at straws with the notion that he's doing it to improve his own personal brand.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat May 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Name managers?

What about Chris Ramsey or JFH hardly big name managers, I don’t think Olly fits that description either.

If he tried to bring in Wenger you might have a point.

Hughes was on paper a good appointment. Yeah I know hindsight is a wonderful thing. I seem to remember signs saying Harry come and save us being held up at Loftus Road towards the end of Hughes’ time too.

There are no certainties in football, and any managerial appointment is risky. Looking at how things stand, I think McLaren could do a decent job. But then I thought Hughes would too, so what do I know.

I think our players need some decent coaching. However you feel about Olly, he wasn’t acknowledged as a great coach. McLaren on the other hand is. As evidence of that, when he came into ‘help’ Harry things improved on the pitch. They also dipped after he left for Derby. He might be what we need, I certainly hope so.

What he does deserve is to be given a chance and a fair crack of the whip.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 pm

The board have made a very grave mistake.Uncle Tony should step away from a club he does not understand.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat May 12, 2018 10:23 pm

I wouldn’t have done it and I think it’s a big mistake but let’s at least see how it pans out. I think if this goes tits up now it could be the last straw. But I’ll personally back the new manager until then.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun May 13, 2018 12:36 am

T-Block wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 pm
The board have made a very grave mistake.Uncle Tony should step away from a club he does not understand.
Do you really think Holloway was that good a manager? What is he not understanding? I think it's going to take some time before we know, i certainly wouldn't feel comfortable calling it either way at this point.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun May 13, 2018 8:07 am

T-Block wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 pm
What mistake? that is a very specific claim.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deepseahoop » Sun May 13, 2018 8:33 am

I don't think its a mistake, they've made a decision based on what they think is best for the club and having put in a fair few millions its not been done lightly. We have a young squad and we need a top quality coach to bring them to the next level and Mclaren is that man, in their eyes at least. Having Sir Les means we don't need an old style/old school manager. Onwards and upwards I say, feeling more confident of progress now all we need is a 20 goal striker to build the team around.
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good