Holloway Sacked Poll!

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

What's your opinion on Ian Hollway being sacked?

Poll ended at Thu May 17, 2018 5:10 pm

1. Happy
24%
2. Unhappy
72%
3. Don't Care
4%

Total votes: 68

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Holloway Sacked Poll!

Post by stainrod's elbow » Fri May 11, 2018 3:02 pm

And if one more person makes the fatuously quietist claim that 'all we can do is fans is turn up and support the club', I'll spontaneously combust. The fans will be there long after any player, manager or owner, and generally care more than all of them put together.

If I knew where TF's window was, I'd personally kick it in right now.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri May 11, 2018 3:07 pm

White Duck wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 am
Systemsguy wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 am

I quite enjoyed reading this until I read Hughes left us to be very successful!

Relegated Stoke (eventually...) They stupidly allowed him access to the cheque book and let him spend 30 million on Saido Berahino and Kevin Wimmer and looks likely he's just scraped Saints up to safety (sound familar.... relegation? not on my watch!)....

Wonder if Saints will trust him with the cheque book this summer?
Or alternatively.....4 and a half years at Stoke, during which time he changed the playing style from Pulis' ugly one-dimensional football, while delivering 3 top ten finishes and 13th place last season. Yes, it went badly wrong this year, but very few manage to remain in charge of PL clubs for that length of time. You may hate him, but he is a proven PL manager.
Hughes has ruined Stoke eventually with a large number of disastrous signings who haven't contributed on the pitch and clearly destroyed team spirit and morale off it. I doubt you could find a single Stoke fan who would thank him for his time at the club.

The Southampton team he inherited has some quality players in it and were clearly underperforming: if Saints allow him to 'rebuild' the team with his own signings they will be screwed. He will get sacked midway through the season allowing someone else to take them down thus maintaining his proud record of never having been relegated as a player or a manager.
Can only hope Hughes is allowed to "re-build" Saints in his own wonderful image....

Charlie Adam and Jack Butland were very complimentary recently on the "passengers" he recruited...
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Spencer » Fri May 11, 2018 3:25 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:00 pm
Why do the philistines on this board persist in reducing everything to money? It's especially inappropriate in Holloway's case, I'd suggest. I'm not saying he won't have been handsomely rewarded in his ludicrously over-inflated industry, but I bet he wasn't on top dollar at Loftus Road and seriously think he'd have done the job for next to nothing anyway.

It doesn't matter what you're paid/not paid in any event - in view of his commitment, hard work, and some very decent (if maddeningly inconsistent) performances, the way he's been treated is shocking in my view, and the bile of the fans should rightfully descend on the owners'/directors' heads - especially if we don't perform next season.
Mine was a not disrespectful comment,
Philistines - "a person who is hostile or indifferent to culture and the arts...or I don't understand or appreciate good things ?

Again...No way Ollie would have done that job for nothing....but neither me or you will ever know...We can "guess"
At this moment in time....we do not know the actual way the " sacking " went. There have been several " suggestions" One might be due to his recent loss, but I suspect it was because the board thought he under achieved.

And yes...I will just turn up and continue with my support.....I think its the correct decision to replace him. But that's just my naïve opinion

Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Spencer » Fri May 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Spencer wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:25 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:00 pm
Why do the philistines on this board persist in reducing everything to money? It's especially inappropriate in Holloway's case, I'd suggest. I'm not saying he won't have been handsomely rewarded in his ludicrously over-inflated industry, but I bet he wasn't on top dollar at Loftus Road and seriously think he'd have done the job for next to nothing anyway.

It doesn't matter what you're paid/not paid in any event - in view of his commitment, hard work, and some very decent (if maddeningly inconsistent) performances, the way he's been treated is shocking in my view, and the bile of the fans should rightfully descend on the owners'/directors' heads - especially if we don't perform next season.
Mine was a not disrespectful comment,
Philistines - "a person who is hostile or indifferent to culture and the arts...or I don't understand or appreciate good things ?

Again...No way Ollie would have done that job for nothing....but neither me or you will ever know...We can "guess"
At this moment in time....we do not know the actual way the " sacking " went. There have been several " suggestions" One might be due to his recent loss, but I suspect it was because the board thought he under achieved.

And yes...I will just turn up and continue with my support so feel free to spontaneously combust :wink: .I think its the correct decision to replace him. But that's just my naïve opinion

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Fri May 11, 2018 3:40 pm

His away record is lamentable and he showed no sign of addressing it.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 11, 2018 3:44 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:02 pm
And if one more person makes the fatuously quietist claim that 'all we can do is fans is turn up and support the club', I'll spontaneously combust. The fans will be there long after any player, manager or owner, and generally care more than all of them put together.

Literally, all you can do is turn up and support the club. My couple of grand a season wouldn't get me a foot in the door of running the place so what else would you suggest I do? I never, ever wanted Redknapp as a manager no matter what happened during his tenure but all I could do was keep going to games... and moan on here, for all the good that that did... perhaps a form of catharsis. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri May 11, 2018 3:48 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:24 am
QPR-NI wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:34 am

So you are saying that whatever changes the board make this time are guaranteed to improve things on the pitch.

That's a bold prediction.

Are we getting Warnock back?
Did I say that NO I didn’t I’m just saying the bar has hardly been set high by Ollie has it.

Stayed up by the skin of our teeth in his first season & flirted with it for most of this season.

Just don’t agree with your statement that he brought stability, he couldn’t tell you his best xi now & that’s after a 46 game season.
You said that changing the manager isn't rolling the dice thus implying that whoever comes in will be better than Holloway.

Experience would say it's a gamble. " investments can go down as well as up".
Yeah I guess your right let’s hope the next one is a success.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Fri May 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:23 pm
ActonArthur wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:35 am
don't usually get that angry about things QPR but this one is a joke and we deserve to struggle next season. It wouldn't be so bad if we were getting a progressive up and coming manager who will surely take the club forward. However, it appears McLaren coming in and I question why he is better than Holloway anyhow. The twitter fans will be on his back after two minutes like every other manager we get. ho-hum
Really? just because you have had your nose put out of joint? Just turn up and support the team and leave the running of the club to those paid to do so. People are writing SM off before the ink has dried on his contract FFS. If,as rumoured, we are getting Lee Carsley too I would say we are in a much better position to advance the players and ergo, the club. Whether he is called the manager or the head coach won't really be an issue as it will still be the backroom team holding the financial purse strings who decide who we sign etc. SM did very well for us when he coached here before and, as a result of his appearances at games as a guest of the club, I imagine he has been made very aware of what the club will expect of him in his new role which bodes well in a coaching role. Let's see where we are at the end of next season before writing him off as a disaster.
I’m not writing anyone off. If we had sacked him and reemployed Paul hart, I would moan about but still want him to succeed. I believe this sacking is harsh (unless there is something I do not have knowledge of) Historic evidence suggests that sticking with your manager is a better long term strategy. If he had failed in his role, I could understand more but he has not. Turning up to support the cub is not what is in question it is my opinion on how the club has treated Holloway, I think it is poor. I don’t see McClaren’s record is anything to write home about. I don’t know anything about Lee carsley as a coach. I hope you are right and McClaren does well but I honestly doubt it.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Fri May 11, 2018 5:21 pm

I don’t know anything about Lee Carsley as a coach but I’ve never liked him as I remember he has said some derogatory things about QPR in the past, possibly when playing against us. I can’t remember what, but I’ve never liked him as a result.

volpone
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by volpone » Fri May 11, 2018 5:40 pm

It strikes me, one day on from the news, that as well as having a ‘what’s your opinion’ poll - we should run concurrently ‘was it the right decision?’

Because I think Olly was treated terribly by the club, given the leaking out before yesterday, but I also think it was the right decision.

The two positions aren’t mutually exclusive. Of course, that depends on SM being the man coming in. There are reservations but I do think the kids will see the benefits from him on the training pitch.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:

Voting with one's feet is the expression. I'm rather surprised 70% voted “unhappy” given the criticisms levelled against Holloway earlier in the season. I've been a supporter since 1956 and have taken umbrage with many things ( moving to White City, sacking Stock and Warnock, sellling Rodney Marsh, signing Vinnie Jones etc ), but I've always stuck with the club. I'd be cutting my nose off to spite my face by withdrawing my support. I wonder how many of the 70% will stop going next season ?
Last edited by 222gers on Fri May 11, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 11, 2018 6:41 pm

I had serious misgivings about renewing when Harry was appointed but decided that he wouldn't last long and I would be depriving myself because of him and he wasn't worth it. It definitely took the edge off the celebrations, especially so when he rocked up at the start of the following season but since his departure I have generally enjoyed myself watching the team again as it has a sort of honesty about itself once more. I don't think I will ever give up watching QPR just because they sell a player I like or appoint/ sack a manager I like/ dislike so this latest storm in a teacup is just that. Whatever the season and all that :-)

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri May 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:41 pm
I had serious misgivings about renewing when Harry was appointed but decided that he wouldn't last long and I would be depriving myself because of him and he wasn't worth it. It definitely took the edge off the celebrations, especially so when he rocked up at the start of the following season but since his departure I have generally enjoyed myself watching the team again as it has a sort of honesty about itself once more. I don't think I will ever give up watching QPR just because they sell a player I like or appoint/ sack a manager I like/ dislike so this latest storm in a teacup is just that. Whatever the season and all that :-)
I have a mental picture of you saying you won't renew because of Harry, and someone shouting in a horrible Eastenders voice “ 'e aint worf it ! “

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sat May 12, 2018 4:19 am

222gers wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Voting with one's feet is the expression. I'm rather surprised 70% voted “unhappy” given the criticisms levelled against Holloway earlier in the season. I've been a supporter since 1956 and have taken umbrage with many things ( moving to White City, sacking Stock and Warnock, sellling Rodney Marsh, signing Vinnie Jones etc ), but I've always stuck with the club. I'd be cutting my nose off to spite my face by withdrawing my support. I wonder how many of the 70% will stop going next season ?
I'm part of the 70% as I'm unhappy how this was done.....

Ollie was obviously on his way out by the powers that be but the podcast which started this off and the rumours of his mum's passing being used as a pretext of his standing down were appalling IMO....

I want TF to stand down as co-chairman and Ruben or whoever is really in charge to stand up and be held accountable

I've renewed my season tickets and am looking forward to returning to the Bush in August whoever is in charge.....

PS my son is utterly delighted Ollie has got the sack as he has no emotional attachment to him and what he did for the club previously.... He just wants a better coach / manager and better football next season....
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat May 12, 2018 7:21 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:19 am
I'm part of the 70% as I'm unhappy how this was done.....
PS my son is utterly delighted Ollie has got the sack as he has no emotional attachment to him and what he did for the club previously.... He just wants a better coach / manager and better football next season....
That reminded me a little of this scene from Pulp Fiction.