Steve Mcclaren

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

patrickqpr
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Steve Mcclaren

Post by patrickqpr » Thu May 10, 2018 4:44 pm

I meant that the fact he loves QPR means he appears to get cut more slack. 26 wins out of 80 games is not great.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu May 10, 2018 4:54 pm

patrickqpr wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:44 pm
26 wins out of 80 games is not great.
Of course it isn't but bearing in mind the circumastances he was working under how many managers would have done better?

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm

In my 60 years of supporting the club certain mangers do well Alec Stock,Jago,Sexton ,Venables ,Francis.They understand the fan base,they understand what the the fans want and hope for.I am biased I admit it but alot of the Northern English managers have consistently failed at QPR. McClaren has managed at big northern clubs -on a limited budget in difficult circumstances I favour Holloway over McClaren.McClarens appointment has disaster written all over it.

I think it is a terrible decision .He will be out by January with Rangers in the bottom 3.

Holloway was rebuilding and that is a very dangerous moment to chop and change.

This lot make bad decision after bad decision.

I just want Fernandez out of the club now.

I cannot face going....

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu May 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Shteve I reckon he might do ok if it is him, no expectations small club decent pedegree.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu May 10, 2018 6:15 pm

T-Block wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm
In my 60 years of supporting the club certain mangers do well Alec Stock,Jago,Sexton ,Venables ,Francis.They understand the fan base,they understand what the the fans want and hope for.I am biased I admit it but alot of the Northern English managers have consistently failed at QPR. McClaren has managed at big northern clubs -on a limited budget in difficult circumstances I favour Holloway over McClaren.McClarens appointment has disaster written all over it.

I think it is a terrible decision .He will be out by January with Rangers in the bottom 3.

I cannot face going....
More fool you really, the spell he had with us in our play off season was a breath of fresh air and contributed significantly to us getting into 6th place that season. Along with Lee Carsley, if it is to be him, I am looking forward to his 2 years as manager.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm

He will get no grace period from a lot of our fans if he goes through a bad run of results that's for certain: let's hope he hits the ground running.
Lex Talionis........

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Thu May 10, 2018 6:44 pm

T-Block wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm

I cannot face going....
What if you are wrong, not beyond the bounds of possibility if happens to us all, will you be back.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Thu May 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Think the technical coaching SM has and tactical understanding, he may help progress this squad - interesting recollection of the play off semi at Loftus Road where McLaren was first commentator and Austin and Barton were giving him stick from the pitch after the game - seems to have that understanding with players which they appreciate.

Disappointed with how Ollie has gone but will not be writing off SM - hopefully has learnt from his experiences and can put that to good use with us.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Thu May 10, 2018 7:48 pm

..well..when he left for Derby, honestly I would have preferred HR to leave and he stay.....he was giving us a nice entertaining
style of football that we soon after lost.....

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Thu May 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:43 pm
patrickqpr wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:41 pm
Satch wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:29 pm
Out of interest, what do you think the nuances of QPR are that Holloway can fathom that McLaren can't?
Absolutely nothing!

Holloway did OK nothing more. I don’t buy into this he was QPR through and through.
I believe he had an affection for the club for sure, i enjoyed the majority of his first tenure and he played for us during a good spell in our more recent history (or recentish). But i also agree that to an extent he used this to curry favour with fans and this shouldn't be a deciding factor on whether he were to remain at the helm. I really don't need the manager to tickle my balls.
No, Satch, but I do want a manager who knows how to get the playing squad together on a limited budget and not expect to spend spend spend like Hughes and Redknapp. As has been said on here before by some McLaren was a great coach and a pretty bang average manager. If his remit is to coach the youngsters into a team that challenges for the playoffs then this might just work. and then and only then he can tickle my balls

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 pm

You can bet your house that SM knows exactly what he is taking on at QPR, and the budget, or lack of, that he will be playing with. He has already been connected with the club in a favourable light with the fans so all the opprobrium now seems far too much like "who moved my cheese?" IH's win % was hovering around 30% which is respectable for a recent QPR manager but if you reduce it to his win % away from Loftus Road it would be horrific. Without trawling back through posts I can guarantee that the love for IH is only a very recent thing in the vast majority of cases; I know this from the amount of times I log on here after being to a game and it barely encouraging when we won but a draw or a defeat had the full complement of whingers from the Legion of Gloom in full flow and, God forbid, IH said something on social media or a post match interview; he was mostly shredded by all and sundry. It isn't an unexpected move by the club and, if you recall, TF was the only that wanted IH as a manager despite being advised to the contrary; NOW it is TF whose character is being mortally assassinated by the same "fans". I would definitely get a ban for saying what I thought about the majority who are now putting IH on a pedestal after 18 months of cünting him off.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu May 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Esox, excuse my ignorance here and I hope you don't mind me asking, I don't mean to offend in any way and I really don't mean to come across as being pedantic but I bow to your superior knowledge and would like to ask you how exactly do you ''cünt'' someone off?

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu May 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:43 pm
patrickqpr wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:41 pm
Satch wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:29 pm
Out of interest, what do you think the nuances of QPR are that Holloway can fathom that McLaren can't?
Absolutely nothing!

Holloway did OK nothing more. I don’t buy into this he was QPR through and through.
I believe he had an affection for the club for sure, i enjoyed the majority of his first tenure and he played for us during a good spell in our more recent history (or recentish). But i also agree that to an extent he used this to curry favour with fans and this shouldn't be a deciding factor on whether he were to remain at the helm. I really don't need the manager to tickle my balls.
Very much this. Football's results driven, Olly failed to achieve that. If he wasn't "QPR through and through," fans would've demanded he was sacked earlier. The outrage we've sacked an under performing manager is purely based on nostalgia, not results.

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Thu May 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 pm
IH's win % was hovering around 30% which is respectable for a recent QPR manager but if you reduce it to his win % away from Loftus Road it would be horrific.
After spending well over quarter of a billion, and having had over six years in charge to turn a premier league team into a bottom third championship one, I wonder what TF's win % is, and why anyone still thinks that his influence over who our manager is in any way a good thing.

willo
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by willo » Thu May 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 pm
You can bet your house that SM knows exactly what he is taking on at QPR, and the budget, or lack of, that he will be playing with. He has already been connected with the club in a favourable light with the fans so all the opprobrium now seems far too much like "who moved my cheese?" IH's win % was hovering around 30% which is respectable for a recent QPR manager but if you reduce it to his win % away from Loftus Road it would be horrific. Without trawling back through posts I can guarantee that the love for IH is only a very recent thing in the vast majority of cases; I know this from the amount of times I log on here after being to a game and it barely encouraging when we won but a draw or a defeat had the full complement of whingers from the Legion of Gloom in full flow and, God forbid, IH said something on social media or a post match interview; he was mostly shredded by all and sundry. It isn't an unexpected move by the club and, if you recall, TF was the only that wanted IH as a manager despite being advised to the contrary; NOW it is TF whose character is being mortally assassinated by the same "fans". I would definitely get a ban for saying what I thought about the majority who are now putting IH on a pedestal after 18 months of cünting him off.
It's hard to imagine what you would have to do to get banned. The frequent foul-mouthed abuse of those you disagree with hasn't resulted in a ban. I was occasionally having a look and even more occasionally posting during your hiatus. But you are back now trying to dominate and browbeat anyone who disagrees with the latest entrenched view you've alighted on. You are the reason I stepped back from positing and now that you are back, I'm off. It's a shame that for whatever reason DG hasn't dealt with your behaviour. The board is the worse for it.