Steve Mcclaren

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Steve Mcclaren

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm

I've written in more detail about McClaren's record in another thread. He's not been completely useless, obviously, but Mboro was quite a while ago now, and had money thrown at it. He's won a championship in another league. Most of the rest of his record in England has been mediocre/uneven to poor, and overall patchy at best. And you're hardly strengthening your argument by citing his time with England - though you seem more concerned with using it to bait 'Arry, i.e preaching to the converted (who did, however, win the playoff final, as I remember, with the one moment of decisive quality on the day from one of 'his' players).

I'd say SM needs us more than vice-versa right now, and he's one of the few managers who would come (like Ian was), but doesn't even have the advantage of Ollie's home-spun passion and affinity with the crowd. I will need to be won over, and think it could quite easily go tits up.
Zamora was a Hughes signing.

The point about the England job is that SM was highly rated enough to be considered and ultimately appointed. No disrespect to IH, but I doubt he will ever be in that position.

It's fair enough to be sceptical about SM, but I can't really understand your attitude to Holloway's departure. You were regularly critical of him when he was here, but now he's gone, we're in full on grieving mode. What changed ?
You're correct that Hughes signed Zamora, which was why I put '"his" player' in quotation marks re 'Arry. What I meant was that Redknapp clearly rated him more highly than just about anyone on the planet (and would almost certainly have signed him if Hughes hadn't).

Woo hoo - so those clods at the FA in their visionary wisdom saw SM as national leader, so McClaren (who only got the job because Scolari wouldn't take it) must be the real deal? Get a grip! It hardly changes the fact that his was the shortest reign in the England hot seat bar the fiasco with Fat Sam, took in the national side's first failure to qualify for the Euros in a quarter of a century, and opened with this classic bit of language-bamboozling tosh to the media: 'Gentlemen, if you want to write whatever you want to write, you can write it because that is all I am going to say'. Do I think Ollie's a master tactician? Maybe not. Do I think he could have done any worse? Unlikely.

As for your perception that I've gone from keyboard warrior to Ollie's chief mourner, yes, I sometimes had hard things to say about him in the heat of a few bad defeats - so what? We tend to be most critical of those we care most about, and this is, happily, an irrational game in many ways that's ruled by the heart. I think it's also the case that, as another poster pointed out, you sometimes only fully register the value of something/someone when they're gone. Passion isn't everything, but clearly Ollie knew a thing or two about getting clubs promoted. While I've said that I certainly had some concerns about the manager's performance, which have been shared, I also hold the players collectively responsible for the embarrassments against the likes of Forest and Brentford. But he didn't deserve to lose his job, and certainly not in the manner he did.

I think it's now got to the point, and certainly if it goes tits up with McClaren as it well might, that Les, Tony and Hoos should walk en bloc - the list of managers they've gone through now between them, all the while preaching stability, continuity and their 'family club' bullshit, is becoming embarrassing. But probably only if they look in the mirror occasionally.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:

I've written in more detail about McClaren's record in another thread. He's not been completely useless, obviously, but Mboro was quite a while ago now, and had money thrown at it. He's won a championship in another league. Most of the rest of his record in England has been mediocre/uneven to poor, and overall patchy at best. And you're hardly strengthening your argument by citing his time with England - though you seem more concerned with using it to bait 'Arry, i.e preaching to the converted (who did, however, win the playoff final, as I remember, with the one moment of decisive quality on the day from one of 'his' players).

I'd say SM needs us more than vice-versa right now, and he's one of the few managers who would come (like Ian was), but doesn't even have the advantage of Ollie's home-spun passion and affinity with the crowd. I will need to be won over, and think it could quite easily go tits up.
Zamora was a Hughes signing.

The point about the England job is that SM was highly rated enough to be considered and ultimately appointed. No disrespect to IH, but I doubt he will ever be in that position.

It's fair enough to be sceptical about SM, but I can't really understand your attitude to Holloway's departure. You were regularly critical of him when he was here, but now he's gone, we're in full on grieving mode. What changed ?
You're correct that Hughes signed Zamora, which was why I put '"his" player' in quotation marks re 'Arry. What I meant was that Redknapp clearly rated him more highly than just about anyone on the planet (and would almost certainly have signed him if Hughes hadn't).

Woo hoo - so those clods at the FA in their visionary wisdom saw SM as national leader, so McClaren (who only got the job because Scolari wouldn't take it) must be the real deal? Get a grip! It hardly changes the fact that his was the shortest reign in the England hot seat bar the fiasco with Fat Sam, took in the national side's first failure to qualify for the Euros in a quarter of a century, and opened with this classic bit of language-bamboozling tosh to the media: 'Gentlemen, if you want to write whatever you want to write, you can write it because that is all I am going to say'. Do I think Ollie's a master tactician? Maybe not. Do I think he could have done any worse? Unlikely.

As for your perception that I've gone from keyboard warrior to Ollie's chief mourner, yes, I sometimes had hard things to say about him in the heat of a few bad defeats - so what? We tend to be most critical of those we care most about, and this is, happily, an irrational game in many ways that's ruled by the heart. I think it's also the case that, as another poster pointed out, you sometimes only fully register the value of something/someone when they're gone. Passion isn't everything, but clearly Ollie knew a thing or two about getting clubs promoted. While I've said that I certainly had some concerns about the manager's performance, which have been shared, I also hold the players collectively responsible for the embarrassments against the likes of Forest and Brentford. But he didn't deserve to lose his job, and certainly not in the manner he did.

I think it's now got to the point, and certainly if it goes tits up with McClaren as it well might, that Les, Tony and Hoos should walk en bloc - the list of managers they've gone through now between them, all the while preaching stability, continuity and their 'family club' bullshit, is becoming embarrassing. But probably only if they look in the mirror occasionally.
You have a real hard-on for those three Stainrod - are they really that bad?
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed May 16, 2018 10:41 pm

I want/ed them to work, but I'm losing faith in 'the project' - whatever it is, wherever it's at. It upsets me to say, but I just don't fully trust them. (In the words of John Lydon, 'I could be wrong/I could be right.')

RType
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by RType » Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:

Great. Another so called supporter who puts their own petty prejudices over the good of the football club. Tell me: how will you sitting there bitching and moaning about Maclaren, waiting to be "won over" (which by the sounds of it would take nothing short of winning the league), help our team win football matches?

Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Spencer » Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 am

Has Steve McClaren actually signed yet ?

Think I will wait till he signs before I start moaning :D

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 am

For the process - from rumour to announcement - to take as long as this, suggests that there is some hard negotiation going on. I wonder what he is asking for?
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 am

RType wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Great. Another so called supporter who puts their own petty prejudices over the good of the football club. Tell me: how will you sitting there bitching and moaning about Maclaren, waiting to be "won over" (which by the sounds of it would take nothing short of winning the league), help our team win football matches?
So sorry for not meeting your criteria of being a 'real' supporter, and for descending to puerile 'prejudice' rather than reasoned judgment. Allow me to try again! Ollie's sacking was a breath of fresh air after his dragging us down into the doldrums and dismally succeeding in fulfilling his entire remit. Uncles Tony, Lee and Les have demonstrated flair and vision in appointing our seventh manager in eight years, in which, as they often tell us, stability, loyalty and family values count for so much. Again. SM's record of falling on his sword against Forest, being bombed out of the mighty Wolfsburg and flapping at the Magpies, losing the plot at Derby and introducing a well-earned break for the national side from major competition for the first time in a quarter of a century, is there for all and sundry to kneel before in awe. (Under a brolly, in case it's starts to rain.)

Like the Jackson 5, thanks to your shedding a shaft of light in the dark corners of my fan's soul, I've seen the error of my wayward ways and 'I'll be there', rain or shine, thick or thin, guns and roses, hollering to the rafters irrespective of whoever happens to have their feet under the table. My club, right or wrong! Fan love means never questioning, never criticising, and eating up everything that's put in front of me with a great big silly grin of thanks.

A game of opinions? Quiet my foolish tongue! aniwall

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu May 17, 2018 12:01 pm

PS Try and at least get the man's name spelt correctly if you must whine about 'proper' supporters!

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 am
RType wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

So sorry for not meeting your criteria of being a 'real' supporter, and for descending to puerile 'prejudice' rather than reasoned judgment. Allow me to try again! Ollie's sacking was a breath of fresh air after his dragging us down into the doldrums and dismally succeeding in fulfilling his entire remit. Uncles Tony, Lee and Les have demonstrated flair and vision in appointing our seventh manager in eight years, in which, as they often tell us, stability, loyalty and family values count for so much. Again. SM's record of falling on his sword against Forest, being bombed out of the mighty Wolfsburg and flapping at the Magpies, losing the plot at Derby and introducing a well-earned break for the national side from major competition for the first time in a quarter of a century, is there for all and sundry to kneel before in awe. (Under a brolly, in case it's starts to rain.)

Like the Jackson 5, thanks to your shedding a shaft of light in the dark corners of my fan's soul, I've seen the error of my wayward ways and 'I'll be there', rain or shine, thick or thin, guns and roses, hollering to the rafters irrespective of whoever happens to have their feet under the table. My club, right or wrong! Fan love means never questioning, never criticising, and eating up everything that's put in front of me with a great big silly grin of thanks.

A game of opinions? Quiet my foolish tongue! aniwall
That's the spirit! You'll feel a lot happier now... as long as you don't find something else to moan about. Remember the Desiderata, I swear by it and use it as a yardstick for life and my happiness.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

RType
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by RType » Thu May 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Glad you see the error of your ways. happy to help :)

All I'm saying is give the bloke a chance.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm looking forward to 6 months from now when results take a nasty turn and the same bellends who were screaming for Ollie to be sacked start moaning again (6 months lol....optimistic I know)