Olly Gone

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Olly Gone

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu May 10, 2018 7:06 pm

DBHoops wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:11 pm
I don't really think that's the point is it?

You love your job, you love the company, you love your colleagues and then you're told you are no longer needed. It's not about your financial circumstances, it's about not being able to do the job you love.

Your take is a rather callous one
Just realistic, my brother lost work he’s self employed he then lost his home.

Sad for Ollie but he’s a millionaire I’m not gonna cry myself to sleep over it & I doubt he will either it’s life it’s football.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:06 pm
Sad for Ollie but he’s a millionaire I’m not gonna cry myself to sleep over it & I doubt he will either it’s life it’s football.
Pride.

Southgate Hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Southgate Hoop » Thu May 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Might be the only one here who actually thinks McLaren would be a decent fit for this current squad.
They’re young players, and for his recent shortcomings at different clubs, he is a great coach. And I feel this squad needs that. I’m not saying Ollie and Bircham weren’t good coaches but I don’t think they’ll be Mclarens coaching level.
As much as I love Ollie I’m glad his time is up. Even on his first spell here all them years ago, our away form was shocking! I’ve never know a team be so negative and lose the amount of times away from home as we have under Holloway.
Whoever comes in next needs to be stuck with for more than 18 months, and hopefully gets the backing of the supporters to.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu May 10, 2018 7:20 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:51 pm
Out of curiosity, what is it with Olly's departure that everyone is particularly disappointed with?
Mainly that he has come in, turned the clubs spirits around, done the dirty work in clearing out the players that needed to go, blooded some youngsters and then got sacked. No opportunity to work with his own squad. A season and a half is a long time in football.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu May 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Southgate Hoop wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:18 pm
Even on his first spell here all them years ago, our away form was shocking!
And yet on the day of Paladinigate we were top of The Championship playing superb football.

Schteve might well be a good fit for us with his coaching ability and experience. The best of luck to him.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Southgate Hoop wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:18 pm
Might be the only one here who actually thinks McLaren would be a decent fit for this current squad.
They’re young players, and for his recent shortcomings at different clubs, he is a great coach. And I feel this squad needs that. I’m not saying Ollie and Bircham weren’t good coaches but I don’t think they’ll be Mclarens coaching level.
As much as I love Ollie I’m glad his time is up. Even on his first spell here all them years ago, our away form was shocking! I’ve never know a team be so negative and lose the amount of times away from home as we have under Holloway.
Whoever comes in next needs to be stuck with for more than 18 months, and hopefully gets the backing of the supporters to.
Just out of interest what are the special qualities that Mclaren has as a coach ? I don't recall him consistently managing teams which have played their oppositions off the park
Come on you Sooopa ........

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Thu May 10, 2018 7:38 pm

I'm a bit upset for Olly who seems a good bloke and obviously has a lot of love for the club. That said, it's been a strange season, and Dave Mc's comments about young players needing stability and guidance (and good coaching) don't sit well with Olly who is, more than anything, a motivator. He's done a sterling job in difficult circumstances and we should be grateful that he had the drive and desire to come in and sort out the mess.

But it's difficult to reconcile the outpouring of grief on here with the constant bitching that's been going on all season. The match-day threads would make you think that most of the support wanted him gone a long time ago.

Anyway, good luck to the next man. If it's SM then I'll be quite pleased, he doesn't seem to do well with a chequebook but I fancy he'll get the best out of what we've got.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu May 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Rbee wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:20 pm
deadendjob wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is it with Olly's departure that everyone is particularly disappointed with?
Mainly that he has come in, turned the clubs spirits around, done the dirty work in clearing out the players that needed to go, blooded some youngsters and then got sacked. No opportunity to work with his own squad. A season and a half is a long time in football.
To be honest mate, you could say the same about other managers - look at the number of players we've cleared out in the past few years. He's a true R, we love him for that, but the rest of it doesn't stack up.
The end part you've mentioned is pivotal. He has had time to turn it around, has had time to create his own squad - yes it has been on a limited budget, but there are other managers in the league with less money and worse squads that have out performed us for 2 seasons. How much time do you realistically think he needed? Don't get me wrong, I'm not under the illusion we should be pushing for play offs, but with the resources we had/have at our disposal, even with our financial constraints, we still were in a better position than other clubs, but failed to perform.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Thu May 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Not impressed. Known this has been coming for a bit. He has taken the club forward with better players, lower wages and a better league position. Add to that team spirit and youngsters. If MacLaren or whoever else is coming in is better, why were they not given the job in the first place? Will this new manager with all his great tactical nouse be better remains to be seen but given history at QPR fan base, he will be a dead man walking amongst the fans before the season is out. Whoever comes in, I’m sure will be cheap to hire. Rangers in league one 2018/2019, I hope not but I fee more likely than if the board had left well alone. When will we stop sacking our flipping managers?

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Thu May 10, 2018 7:52 pm

ActonArthur wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:48 pm
Not impressed. Known this has been coming for a bit. He has taken the club forward with better players, lower wages and a better league position. Add to that team spirit and youngsters. If MacLaren or whoever else is coming in is better, why were they not given the job in the first place? Will this new manager with all his great tactical nouse be better remains to be seen but given history at QPR fan base, he will be a dead man walking amongst the fans before the season is out. Whoever comes in, I’m sure will be cheap to hire. Rangers in league one 2018/2019, I hope not but I fee more likely than if the board had left well alone. When will we stop sacking our flipping managers?

This.

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:43 pm
Rbee wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:20 pm
deadendjob wrote:
To be honest mate, you could say the same about other managers - look at the number of players we've cleared out in the past few years. He's a true R, we love him for that, but the rest of it doesn't stack up.
The end part you've mentioned is pivotal. He has had time to turn it around, has had time to create his own squad - yes it has been on a limited budget, but there are other managers in the league with less money and worse squads that have out performed us for 2 seasons. How much time do you realistically think he needed? Don't get me wrong, I'm not under the illusion we should be pushing for play offs, but with the resources we had/have at our disposal, even with our financial constraints, we still were in a better position than other clubs, but failed to perform.
Football these days is a short term game with a disproportionate sense of entitlement from many supporters. It's why I've been losing interest with it, certainly at this level, for a few years now.

Clive Whittingham, as always, puts it well in the passage below. Link included for those interested.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/ ... ts--column

It’s 14 years, almost to the day, since Ian Holloway reached the pinnacle of his first spell in charge of Queens Park Rangers, winning promotion to the Championship on the final day of the season at Hillsborough. Football has changed considerably since then.

I’ve said this before, but were those five years to be repeated again in the present day, Holloway likely wouldn’t have made it through the first two of them. December 2002, QPR hadn’t won for 12 matches and had just drawn 0-0 with nine-man Luton, lost 3-0 at Notts County, 4-0 at home to Cardiff and been dumped out of the FA Cup by Vauxhall Motors in a fortnight catastrophic even by the standards of an accident prone club like ours. Do that now, in the era of short termism and social media, and you’d be sacked. No question.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:43 pm
He has had time to turn it around, has had time to create his own squad.
You think a season and a half is long enough to clear out a bunch of players, build a new squad, style of play AND see it succeed? We shall never agree deadend :)

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Thu May 10, 2018 8:08 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:06 pm
DBHoops wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:11 pm
I don't really think that's the point is it?

You love your job, you love the company, you love your colleagues and then you're told you are no longer needed. It's not about your financial circumstances, it's about not being able to do the job you love.

Your take is a rather callous one
Just realistic, my brother lost work he’s self employed he then lost his home.

Is it realistic though, or is it just your opinion?

Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington were multi-millionaires with families, idolised by a huge fanbase and yet both killed themselves.

Money (and having it) is not a cure-all to these issues - These people aren't robots.

angloraider
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by angloraider » Thu May 10, 2018 8:26 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:20 pm
angloraider wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:22 pm
Absolute effing disgrace!

I haven't posted for a while, but this has caused to come on and vent my anger.

And, to then apparently appoint McClaren is the effing last straw.
TF needs HIS HEAD examining, and quickly.
Welcome back AR 8)
Thanks dej!

I have read everything on this thread.

I think my problem is slightly less about sacking Holloway, (although I am unhappy about it) and more to do with McClaren.
I see people have listed the end result of his last several appointments, sack , resigned, sack etc etc. That tells us nothing of the story. The fact is that as a no1 (manager) it has been a very long time since he has been successful.

In fact in real terms you have to go back 10yrs since McClaren won the Dutch title with a very unfashionable team in Twente.

Since then he has at best limped along, mainly failing in the Championship. I am struggling to think of a manager that may even appear on a long list, let alone a short, who I would consider less for the job.

As I said on the other thread about him, his status as a boss has fallen off a cliff. We have no money, yet he takes the job because that is now where his apparent market is. For me his market should be as a 1st team coach, and if that was the case and there was someone above him as manager who knew what he was doing, I'd be ok.

As for Ollie, if we shrunk the league down to those teams who have spent nothing in transfer fees, then as far as I'm concerned not many managers have done better.
It takes some investment to get out the Championship these days and if you repeatedly invest nothing, then just below mid-table is acceptable.

Plus there were moments where a team was beginning to emerge and he was making progress. Unfortunately you need a 20+ goal striker to go up, and the fact is we can't afford one, under the circumstances Ollie did a good job.
All or nothing!

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 pm

What's all this outrage at Holloway going?
At best the performances were average and the season was underwhelming.

As Zenith has said the young players need proper coaching and whoever comes in I'm sure that'll be
a consideration of the board who made the decision [not just Fernandes!].

There hasn't been any semblance of competent coaching or tactical nous for 3 years.
Staff Benda Bilili