Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1075
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: The end of the rainbow

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by LanCat » Tue May 08, 2018 8:33 am

There's another way of looking at those numbers, average attendance as a percentage of capacity.

I think it's interesting that only two of this top 10 have "new" grounds. I'd suggest that validates the argument that the new multi-purpose stadium has nothing to do with football and as everything to do with a consistent income stream.

Norwich 95%
Wolves 89%
Leeds 83%
Sheff Utd 82%
Forest 81%
Derby 81%
Fulham 77%
QPR 76%
Boro 75%
Villa 75%
Birmingham 72%
Bristol C 70%
Reading 69%
Burton 67%
Millwall 66%
Sheff Weds 65%
Hull 61%
Cardiff 61%
Brentford 59%
Preston 59%
Barnsley 59%
Sunderland 56%
Bolton 55%
Ipswich 54%

User avatar
kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Plymouth, Devon

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by kernowhoop » Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am

Very interesting thoughts, DB.
Can't help but think that selling food like that cheaply will be banned before too long, though. :wink:
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue May 08, 2018 9:06 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:46 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:41 pm
Down from 14,616 in 2016/17 and 15,994 in 2015/16, post-relegation - that's a fall of around 2,000 fans in two years. In fact, it's our lowest average - bar one season - in the last 10 years! I'd call that alarming! I wonder how those who rate Mr Hoos' report card so highly dig him out of that one. Id' say the club have a lot of work still to do, both on and off the field, to help restore the lost passion.

http://european-football-statistics.co. ... ub/qpr.htm

It's OK, though, because the Family Stand is a resounding success, and our under-8s fan base is reportedly up 49%, according to LH. Yippee!
and how often are you putting cash into the QPR coffers? With the ageing fanbase and the widespread geographical locations of so many of those fans the club need people to go regardless of what's on offer to have any chance of fuelling further success. There are plenty of people who rarely attend and even rarer, spend money with the club they purport to support. If you don't go,we won't grow and will eventually slide further and further into the mire with the same people complaining that crowds are down and the football isn't to their high aspirations. If the old fanbase won't come to games then what is the alternative to it? build a new multi purpose stadium where the football is just an ancillary to the revenue stream? You can't have it all ways, it just doesn't work like that. The board and administrative personnel are the best we have had in a long time and they, at least, understand what is required to keep QPR alive after the recent havoc of the chase for the Premiership, it appears that it is the fans who don't and think staying away will solve the problem. Everyone has the right to spend their hard earned how so ever they chose and many have chosen to vote with their feet; this however only pushes the club in the opposite direction to that which the stay aways are hoping will happen. From my experience of match days there is a disproportionately high number of people who travel 50 miles of more to games and it is the locals who are abandoning their team; a situation almost contrary to common sense. Can you explain that? A blasé attitude to the club? It was only fun whilst we were winning stuff? They don't know all the words to "whatever the season ..."? :D I know slagging off the current situation without offering realistic and achievable solutions isn't any good to QPR.
What a peculiar and perplexing paragraph - I sought in vain for your topic sentence! (Have we ever met? I only ask since you seem to know so much about me!) The concept of a supporter who thinks 'staying away will solve the problem' seems to be some weird concoction of your own mind. Regardless of my overseas geographic situation and its current implications for my appearances at LR, I'd suggest that what Hoos et al, post-Beard, need to think rather carefully about is the fairly clear correlation between not alienating the fanbase by uprooting long-standing supporters (and/or defending a half-full half-stand subsequently - LH has already indicated he'd have done exactly the same thing), as well as the dangers of presenting an on-field product that varies from wildly inconsistent (hello, IH) to dismally crap (thank you and goodbye, JFH). I may not ahve all the answers, but, at a wild guess, I'd suggest poor recruitment/coaching, lack of investment in the squad, and lots of talk about the QPR 'identity' but precious little sign of it might have something to do with it.

A training course at Griffin Park probably wouldn't be a bad idea - unless anyone else can explain to me how we are regularly outplayed by both them and Fulham, seem to have some kind of allergy to playing in the Cups, and can't play away. The fact that we've fallen so far behind even Brentford in recent times (whose crowds are about 25% smaller than ours) is indicative of how we've not been getting it right, even at Championship level, since we dropped. Once any of that starts to change, I'll feel more confident that the current set-up knows what it's doing, rather than just swallowing the club's recent propaganda drive about how wonderful they all are. But this is QPR, of course . . .
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

User avatar
Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5030
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Swinedon

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by Rbee » Tue May 08, 2018 9:29 am

DBHoops wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 pm
I wonder if the club has undertaken market research in the local areas to see why there is such a disengagement with QPR. Would be interesting to see the results.
I was wondering why the new local support was so thin on the ground bearing in mind all of the wonderful work that the club does in the community, the players often visiting schools and hospitals.

I think there are various reasons. Firstly the amount of exposure The Premier League receives in the media which further increases peer pressure at school to support Premier League clubs and the actual cost of watching live football nowadays.

The club may as well distribute lower School End tickets to local schools where pupils can be rewarded for good school work with family match day tickets.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20448
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue May 08, 2018 9:31 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:06 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:46 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:41 pm
Down from 14,616 in 2016/17 and 15,994 in 2015/16, post-relegation - that's a fall of around 2,000 fans in two years. In fact, it's our lowest average - bar one season - in the last 10 years! I'd call that alarming! I wonder how those who rate Mr Hoos' report card so highly dig him out of that one. Id' say the club have a lot of work still to do, both on and off the field, to help restore the lost passion.

http://european-football-statistics.co. ... ub/qpr.htm

It's OK, though, because the Family Stand is a resounding success, and our under-8s fan base is reportedly up 49%, according to LH. Yippee!
and how often are you putting cash into the QPR coffers? With the ageing fanbase and the widespread geographical locations of so many of those fans the club need people to go regardless of what's on offer to have any chance of fuelling further success. There are plenty of people who rarely attend and even rarer, spend money with the club they purport to support. If you don't go,we won't grow and will eventually slide further and further into the mire with the same people complaining that crowds are down and the football isn't to their high aspirations. If the old fanbase won't come to games then what is the alternative to it? build a new multi purpose stadium where the football is just an ancillary to the revenue stream? You can't have it all ways, it just doesn't work like that. The board and administrative personnel are the best we have had in a long time and they, at least, understand what is required to keep QPR alive after the recent havoc of the chase for the Premiership, it appears that it is the fans who don't and think staying away will solve the problem. Everyone has the right to spend their hard earned how so ever they chose and many have chosen to vote with their feet; this however only pushes the club in the opposite direction to that which the stay aways are hoping will happen. From my experience of match days there is a disproportionately high number of people who travel 50 miles of more to games and it is the locals who are abandoning their team; a situation almost contrary to common sense. Can you explain that? A blasé attitude to the club? It was only fun whilst we were winning stuff? They don't know all the words to "whatever the season ..."? :D I know slagging off the current situation without offering realistic and achievable solutions isn't any good to QPR.
What a peculiar and perplexing paragraph - I sought in vain for your topic sentence! (Have we ever met? I only ask since you seem to know so much about me!) The concept of a supporter who thinks 'staying away will solve the problem' seems to be some weird concoction of your own mind. Regardless of my overseas geographic situation and its current implications for my appearances at LR, I'd suggest that what Hoos et al, post-Beard, need to think rather carefully about is the fairly clear correlation between not alienating the fanbase by uprooting long-standing supporters (and/or defending a half-full half-stand subsequently - LH has already indicated he'd have done exactly the same thing), as well as the dangers of presenting an on-field product that varies from wildly inconsistent (hello, IH) to dismally crap (thank you and goodbye, JFH). I may not ahve all the answers, but, at a wild guess, I'd suggest poor recruitment/coaching, lack of investment in the squad, and lots of talk about the QPR 'identity' but precious little sign of it might have something to do with it.

A training course at Griffin Park probably wouldn't be a bad idea - unless anyone else can explain to me how we are regularly outplayed by both them and Fulham, seem to have some kind of allergy to playing in the Cups, and can't play away. The fact that we've fallen so far behind even Brentford in recent times (whose crowds are about 25% smaller than ours) is indicative of how we've not been getting it right, even at Championship level, since we dropped. Once any of that starts to change, I'll feel more confident that the current set-up knows what it's doing, rather than just swallowing the club's recent propaganda drive about how wonderful they all are. But this is QPR, of course . . .
As you appear to be struggling; QPR need bigger attendances and more people to spend their money to improve. Simple enough?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 2100
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am
Location: The daddy of Abbots

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by ActonArthur » Tue May 08, 2018 10:01 am

Greyhound wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:32 pm
The entertainment this season has been better than for a long while, and Hoos' plan is the best plan we've had in years. The reality is that, unlike in previous years, we're not creating more debt in an attempt to go shit or bust to get into the PL. So we are inevitably 'less attractive' to the marginal fanbase who will come along to watch a team that is being touted to go up, and stay away when they see us shopping in Aldi.
well said.

User avatar
QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1607
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: CO Tyrone Northern Ireland

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by QPR-NI » Tue May 08, 2018 10:21 am

As has been touched upon , we could easily give out at least 2000 tickets to every home game, free of charge, to local school kids, who would get 2 tickets and bring an adult with them. Follow this up with a big concession to kids for future tickets.

The only way to build a support base without being in the Premier league is from the ground up, but in 10 years 5000 of those kids might be season ticket holders. It has effectively cost you nothing as the space is there anyway and they will buy food and merchandise.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9667
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue May 08, 2018 11:40 am

LanCat wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:33 am
There's another way of looking at those numbers, average attendance as a percentage of capacity.

I think it's interesting that only two of this top 10 have "new" grounds. I'd suggest that validates the argument that the new multi-purpose stadium has nothing to do with football and as everything to do with a consistent income stream.
I wouldn't say it's nothing to do with football, but it's certainly more to do with a consistent income stream.

Being at the upper end of that scale also limits our ability to capitalize when the team is doing well. Cardiff's average is up 3,500 on last season, but will be up considerably again next season. I know that is dwarfed by the PL money, but every little helps when you're working to a tight budget.

Good to see some constructive suggestions on this thread anyway. Enjoying DBHoops recent posts.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by DBHoops » Tue May 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Wow! Thanks Uxbridge, That's really kind of you say.

It's been a while since I have been a regular poster, but since I have emigrated to the States halfway through the season, this board is one of those lifelines along with the QPR Pod, QPR + and the QPR NYC supporters group that helps keep my connection to the club strong.

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by Giorgio » Tue May 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Twickers wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm
Around 40,000 QPR fans turned up at Wembley for the play offs in 2014. Fans travelled from all over the world for that game. If you don’t live local, why would you make an effort to see a team who finished 16th?! Of course performances on the the pitch 100% make a difference to attendances. Not much Hoos can do about that.

...if you are a crazy idiot like me.....you do... :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

18 home matches attended out of 23 (plus 1 away and missing Leeds away cos of a second thought due to Ryan Air raising its fare to a crazy level)...flying from Dublin every time...and on evening kick offs, staying overnight in not-that-cheap London...

anyway..yes...provide a better show on the pitch, give results.... and surely you will see fewer empty seats on the stands....

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by Giorgio » Tue May 08, 2018 5:11 pm

kernowhoop wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am
Very interesting thoughts, DB.
Can't help but think that selling food like that cheaply will be banned before too long, though. :wink:

....do they serve food at LR...?? Really....? Can you call it...food..?? :roll: :roll: :roll:

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by DBHoops » Tue May 08, 2018 5:42 pm

A very fair point Georgio.

To be fair though the food is in keeping with the football. Frustrating and frequently disappointing :D

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by Giorgio » Tue May 08, 2018 6:07 pm

DBHoops wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:42 pm
A very fair point Georgio.

To be fair though the food is in keeping with the football. Frustrating and frequently disappointing :D
...I saw even flies and mosquitoes ran away from it....it could be used as a repellent.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4471
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by 222gers » Tue May 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:02 pm
Twickers wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm
Around 40,000 QPR fans turned up at Wembley for the play offs in 2014. Fans travelled from all over the world for that game. If you don’t live local, why would you make an effort to see a team who finished 16th?! Of course performances on the the pitch 100% make a difference to attendances. Not much Hoos can do about that.

...if you are a crazy idiot like me.....you do... :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

18 home matches attended out of 23 (plus 1 away and missing Leeds away cos of a second thought due to Ryan Air raising its fare to a crazy level)...flying from Dublin every time...and on evening kick offs, staying overnight in not-that-cheap London...

anyway..yes...provide a better show on the pitch, give results.... and surely you will see fewer empty seats on the stands....
I've always admired your tenacity in getting to matches Giorgio. I take my hat off to you.

I think all clubs have a falling away of support over the years. I was talking about it in the pub today. Of the dozens of mates of my age that supported the club as young men, I'm one of only a handful that still attend. A couple of other punters - Fulham and Brentford fans, said exactly the some thing. Clearly, attracting new young fans to replace us as we drop away is paramount. Not easy when they have the Premiership rammed down their gullets from an early age.

User avatar
deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5236
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by deadendjob » Tue May 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:02 pm
Twickers wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm
Around 40,000 QPR fans turned up at Wembley for the play offs in 2014. Fans travelled from all over the world for that game. If you don’t live local, why would you make an effort to see a team who finished 16th?! Of course performances on the the pitch 100% make a difference to attendances. Not much Hoos can do about that.

...if you are a crazy idiot like me.....you do... :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

18 home matches attended out of 23 (plus 1 away and missing Leeds away cos of a second thought due to Ryan Air raising its fare to a crazy level)...flying from Dublin every time...and on evening kick offs, staying overnight in not-that-cheap London...

anyway..yes...provide a better show on the pitch, give results.... and surely you will see fewer empty seats on the stands....
Do you tie the matches in with work at all? Irrespective to attend as many games as you do is hugely commendable. It's a shame there aren't more incentives from the club for regular long distance travellers.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 23 guests