Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by deadendjob » Sun May 06, 2018 6:58 pm

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Average Championship Attendances 17/18

Post by 222gers » Sun May 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Two of the teams with lower attendances than us have been relegated which could push us further down that chart. However, If Shrewsbury come up they'll have lower gates than us. Surely if we can be a bit more consistent and play with the elan brought by the younger players, we can get 15-16k most weeks ?

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Sun May 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Are Fulham a bigger club than us?

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun May 06, 2018 8:31 pm

redinjun wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:23 pm
Are Fulham a bigger club than us?
'Fraid so......

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun May 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Down from 14,616 in 2016/17 and 15,994 in 2015/16, post-relegation - that's a fall of around 2,000 fans in two years. In fact, it's our lowest average - bar one season - in the last 10 years! I'd call that alarming! I wonder how those who rate Mr Hoos' report card so highly dig him out of that one. Id' say the club have a lot of work still to do, both on and off the field, to help restore the lost passion.

http://european-football-statistics.co. ... ub/qpr.htm

It's OK, though, because the Family Stand is a resounding success, and our under-8s fan base is reportedly up 49%, according to LH. Yippee!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun May 06, 2018 9:45 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:41 pm
Down from 14,616 in 2016/17 and 15,994 in 2015/16, post-relegation - that's a fall of around 2,000 fans in two years. In fact, it's our lowest average - bar one season - in the last 10 years! I'd call that alarming! I wonder how those who rate Mr Hoos' report card so highly dig him out of that one. Id' say the club have a lot of work still to do, both on and off the field, to help restore the lost passion.

It's OK, though, because the Family Stand is a resounding success, and our under-8s fan base is reportedly up 49%, according to LH. Yippee!
The entertainment on the field might have something to do with it

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sun May 06, 2018 10:32 pm

The entertainment this season has been better than for a long while, and Hoos' plan is the best plan we've had in years. The reality is that, unlike in previous years, we're not creating more debt in an attempt to go shit or bust to get into the PL. So we are inevitably 'less attractive' to the marginal fanbase who will come along to watch a team that is being touted to go up, and stay away when they see us shopping in Aldi.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
I wonder how those who rate Mr Hoos' report card so highly dig him out of that one.
Perhaps Hoos can get together a crew of jolly matelots and press gang supporters from the streets around Shepherd's Bush?

Until the product improves people won't come except us diehards, so I don't think he can take too much blame in all honesty.
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun May 06, 2018 11:12 pm

We are an ageing fan base most of us still harking on about Rodney and Stanley. Hoo's is very much aware of this but can do little about it.

Some entertaining football with good results would help a little but I think only a sustained period in the Prem would fix this problem, it's the main reason why Fulham are where they are now attendance wise.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 am

One would assume that football attendances are primarily results driven, but that's not necessarily true.

Take for example, Sunderland, finishing bottom of the table, 4th largest attendance this season.
Millwall (20k) & Brentford (Close to 13k), had as storming season, finishing 8th & 9th, but finishing 3rd and 2nd lowest attendances. If it was a saturation of London based clubs, why did we have more people turning up regularly (aside from them being shit etc etc)?

Brentford's maximum capacity doesn't leave much wiggle room, but given their form you'd expect they'd be close to filling the place up most weeks. Comparatively, there are FIVE League 1 clubs that had better attendances than Brentford.

As Rbee's said, maybe it is the time in the Premier League exposure that has benefited us?

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:

Wow, you really have got it in for Lee Hoos, haven't you. I would humbly suggest there are multiple factors at play in the fall in average attendances. Not least that in three of those 10 years, we were in the Premier League, and in two were chasing promotion from the Championship. Of course there's work to do, but I can't see how Hoos is the problem.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Wow, you really have got it in for Lee Hoos, haven't you. I would humbly suggest there are multiple factors at play in the fall in average attendances. Not least that in three of those 10 years, we were in the Premier League, and in two were chasing promotion from the Championship. Of course there's work to do, but I can't see how Hoos is the problem.
All in all I think Hoo's et al have done a wonderful job considering the mess Phil Beard and Uncle Tony created (I know..... Tony's in for the long haul and learnt his lessons yada yada yada).

Fulham had a sustained period in the premier league while we languished in the championship and built their fanbase back up and believe you me it's hard getting the young to keep the faith when your thumped 3 - 0 at home (Middlesbrough) in a dismal display.....

The youngsters performances at the end of the season has shone a light at the end of a very dark tunnel the last few years....
2017/2018.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 07, 2018 10:46 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:

and how often are you putting cash into the QPR coffers? With the ageing fanbase and the widespread geographical locations of so many of those fans the club need people to go regardless of what's on offer to have any chance of fuelling further success. There are plenty of people who rarely attend and even rarer, spend money with the club they purport to support. If you don't go,we won't grow and will eventually slide further and further into the mire with the same people complaining that crowds are down and the football isn't to their high aspirations. If the old fanbase won't come to games then what is the alternative to it? build a new multi purpose stadium where the football is just an ancillary to the revenue stream? You can't have it all ways, it just doesn't work like that. The board and administrative personnel are the best we have had in a long time and they, at least, understand what is required to keep QPR alive after the recent havoc of the chase for the Premiership, it appears that it is the fans who don't and think staying away will solve the problem. Everyone has the right to spend their hard earned how so ever they chose and many have chosen to vote with their feet; this however only pushes the club in the opposite direction to that which the stay aways are hoping will happen. From my experience of match days there is a disproportionately high number of people who travel 50 miles of more to games and it is the locals who are abandoning their team; a situation almost contrary to common sense. Can you explain that? A blasé attitude to the club? It was only fun whilst we were winning stuff? They don't know all the words to "whatever the season ..."? :D I know slagging off the current situation without offering realistic and achievable solutions isn't any good to QPR.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Twickers
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Twickers » Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Around 40,000 QPR fans turned up at Wembley for the play offs in 2014. Fans travelled from all over the world for that game. If you don’t live local, why would you make an effort to see a team who finished 16th?! Of course performances on the the pitch 100% make a difference to attendances. Not much Hoos can do about that.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Are you seriously telling me that the location of the family stand is solely responsible for the drop in attendances?

As Esox said there are loads of factors. In my area of the upper loft alone, we have had changing faces owing to the following: deaths, illnesses, emigration, fatherhood, personal economic situations - and that is a block of about 60 people. Life gets in the way. This is pretty much out of Lee Hoos control I'd imagine. A lot of faces went missing when Briatore and Ecclestone took over during the boutique club area, and again when we reached the premier league. Factor in the austerity era that Britain finds itself in and money is tight for a lot of people. To many families, the costs of football is on the luxury list over rent, bills and food.

The cost of football especially for families is ridiculous. One thing I'd like QPR to look at is this, sensible pricing of concessions, which may help to lower costs of the matchday experience for families. This is an interesting move by the Mercedes Benz Arena in Atlanta. As well as the usual high priced concessions, they have a fan first menu. Refillable coke for $2, a pizza slice for $3 and beer for $5. Making sure that food and drink is affordable helps keep money in the stadium. Would love to see QPR leading the way here.

http://atlantarestaurants.blog.myajc.co ... eer-about/

Whilst the work in the community is amazing, it isn't having an impact on attendances, so what other local marketing can be done. Chelsea and Fulham in the recent seasons have been doing this - Fulham in particular. We mock the neutral stand, but this must have had an impact on attendance increase.

We are in a locality where there are 3 other clubs in a relatively small catchment area. So how can we provide a point of difference to attract new faces through the gates, without alienating the current fan base. Pricing promotions help on a match by match basis, but annoy those who buy season tickets, so the club can't win on this one.

I do wonder whether the club can work closer with the other source of weekend 'entertainment' in the local area in Westfield to provide a way of driving fans through the gates. There is a kids amusement area there called Kidzania. maybe buy a ticket to Kidzania and get a family of four ticket to QPR for a tenner (2 adults 2 kids) - The club needs to improve the matchday experience to keep them coming back though.

There is no simple answer to this. Safe standing will help if the club can reduce ticket prices, but will the club be cannibalising revenues from existing fans moving from Platinum and gold to a standing area? Quite probably...

I wonder if the club has undertaken market research in the local areas to see why there is such a disengagement with QPR. Would be interesting to see the results.