The Times: Paul Smyth leans towards Northern Ireland

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: The Times: Paul Smyth leans towards Northern Ireland

Post by n22hoop » Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am

QPR-NI wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:02 am
Virginia_R wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:33 pm
QPR-NI wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:10 pm

They only target the Catholic players. How much more sectarian than that can you get?

The hit and miss b side have been consistently above the Republic in the world rankings for several years and missed out on the World Cup through song cheated by a terrible refereeing decision and playing against the best team in the play offs Switzerland.

The Republic got humiliated by a crappy Denmark team IIRC.

AS the banner says " HANDS OFF OUR KIDS".

Oooh, touchy. Nordies baiting - like shooting sectarian fish in a barrel. The 17th century would like you back, mate.
The only sectarianism is from the RoI trying to tap up young Catholic players.

I suppose if you're going to get embarrassed at home by Denmark you need all the help you can get.

We'll just assume you don't watch the Six Nations.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Tue May 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Virginia_R wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:00 am
QPR-NI wrote:
Virginia_R wrote:

Oooh, touchy. Nordies baiting - like shooting sectarian fish in a barrel. The 17th century would like you back, mate.

I suppose if you're going to get embarrassed at home by Denmark you need all the help you can get.
You have a ridiculous definition of sectarianism, to say the least. Let me remind you that, thanks to the Good Friday Agreement, anyone up North has the choice of whether they feel Irish or British: as a result, anyone up there has the right to an Irish passport/citizenship. Some players - the likes of McClean, for example - felt more comfortable in declaring for the Republic than for the North. And quite frankly, after watching the likes of Lennon and Anton Rogan being relentlessly barracked by sectarian yobs for the crime for being Celtic players, who'd blame them for playing for a team that they have an emotional association towards? It is entirely their right do so: I suspect strongly that if the current rules had been in place years ago, the likes of Martin O'Neill, Pat Jennings and Gerry Armstrong would have declared for the Republic, given their backgrounds - Northern Ireland was a cold house for Catholics/Nationalists for a very, very long time. Let's not forget that night at Windsor Park in Nov 1993, shall we - the raw sectarian hatred from the Northern supporters that night was shocking to say the least.

The ironic thing is - we down South have a soft spot for the Norn Iron team. Definitely backed you in 1982, 1986 and at Euro 2016.

In defence of the IFA, they did note the sectarian problem at N. Ireland games and have made really positive steps in that regard. I hope it continues.

Yes, the FAI did for a period use the opportunity to go after players from the North - but they would have and did get short shrift from players from Unionist/Protestant backgrounds, who after all identify with playing for the North. And quite rightly so. It's their choice.

At the end of the day, given the mixed nature of loyalties up North, it is really up to the individual as to where their loyalties lie.
The GFA has no relevance whatsoever on who could play for the RoI. Anyone born in NI since the formation of the state has been entitled to an Irish passport. Jennings,etc could have played for them if they had wished. Gerry Armstrong had the post of combating the tapping up ffs.

There was a "gentlemans agreement"in place since the early 50's which the RoI took it upon itself to break under the cover of the GFA.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Tue May 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:10 am
Te Republic have better supporters and a great atmosphere at games so that may influence his choices. Also growing as team mates with Shodipo & Manning may prove decisive.

You're showing your ignorance now.

The atmosphere at Windsor is on a different level to the half empty Aviva. Supporters awards notwithstanding.

You seem to forget that Smyth made his name at Linfield and has played at all levels for NI.

The Republic only came sniffing since his arrival at The Hoops.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Tue May 01, 2018 6:40 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am
QPR-NI wrote:
Virginia_R wrote:

No interest whatsoever.

My rugby support begins and ends at Ravenhill.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Tue May 01, 2018 9:14 pm

I’m surprised there’s a even discussion over this as I thought his recent appearance would have cemented his allegiances. Obviously that’s not the case.

The kid is special though, it makes sense that they would both be fighting for him. I think he will stick with Northern Ireland.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:15 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:40 pm
n22hoop wrote:
QPR-NI wrote:

No interest whatsoever.

Why?
Staff Benda Bilili

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed May 02, 2018 6:22 am

QPR-NI wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:39 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Te Republic have better supporters and a great atmosphere at games so that may influence his choices. Also growing as team mates with Shodipo & Manning may prove decisive.

The atmosphere at Windsor is on a different level to the half empty Aviva. Supporters awards notwithstanding.

You seem to forget that Smyth made his name at Linfield and has played at all levels for NI.

So if you ignore the facts, you are right? :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Wed May 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:22 am
QPR-NI wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:39 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:

So if you ignore the facts, you are right? :roll:
The facts are that the atmosphere at Windsor Park is far superior to that of the Aviva and NI fans have received awards for that support.

I'd tell you to go and watch a match but you wouldn't get a ticket.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Wed May 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:15 pm
QPR-NI wrote:
n22hoop wrote:

No interest whatsoever.

Why?

I need to have affinity to a team to care if they win or lose. My affinity for rugby begins and ends with Ulster. And the lions every 4 years I suppose.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Wed May 02, 2018 6:12 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:39 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:15 pm
QPR-NI wrote:

No interest whatsoever.

Why?

I need to have affinity to a team to care if they win or lose. My affinity for rugby begins and ends with Ulster. And the lions every 4 years I suppose.
You do know it's the British & Irish Lions? Careful there....
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:38 am

Costa Rica v N Ireland 6pm BBC Website.

Smyth could well be on show if anyone is at a loose end.

flatfoot
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by flatfoot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:01 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Virginia_R wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:19 pm
I think you utterly missed the point. We are not.

You lads have been a hit and miss 'B' side, in fairness.

They only target the Catholic players. How much more sectarian than that can you get?

The hit and miss b side have been consistently above the Republic in the world rankings for several years and missed out on the World Cup through song cheated by a terrible refereeing decision and playing against the best team in the play offs Switzerland.

Is it entirely possible that the Republic of Ireland "only target the Catholic players" because the Catholic players are the only ones who are likely to have either an affinity or a desire to play south of the border.

I think this is a case of someone wanting something because you haven't been offered it. In the end, the Protestant-born players wouldn't be seen dead playing for the south (though they would probably receive death threats) so why bother chasing them.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:21 pm

flatfoot wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:01 pm
QPR-NI wrote:
Virginia_R wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:19 pm
I think you utterly missed the point. We are not.

You lads have been a hit and miss 'B' side, in fairness.

Is it entirely possible that the Republic of Ireland "only target the Catholic players" because the Catholic players are the only ones who are likely to have either an affinity or a desire to play south of the border.

I think this is a case of someone wanting something because you haven't been offered it. In the end, the Protestant-born players wouldn't be seen dead playing for the south (though they would probably receive death threats) so why bother chasing them.
You're probably right but that doesn't make it any less sectarian or divisive.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am

QPR-NI wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:21 pm
flatfoot wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:01 pm
QPR-NI wrote:

You're probably right but that doesn't make it any less sectarian or divisive.
Surely the Republic of Ireland will only reach out to players who are eligible to play for them? If that's the case then I don't see how it could be considered divisive (or sectarian for that matter). An international footballer will only play for the team he/she wants to play for. You come across like it's only Northern Irish players who were ever tapped up and the sole purpose of that action was to be devisive. That's nonsense. Bear in mind that over the years half the team turning out for the Republic could have played for England/Scotland too. It's a running joke in footballing circles.

Try to bear in mind that there is a lot of good will towards Northern Ireland from the Republic - both in and outside football. The VAST majority of supporters from the Republic would consider the use of words like sectarian etc. as dated, from another era and has no place in football. They've moved on and you should too.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:19 pm

..well, I am a foreigner.....italian, living in Ireland - do I need to specify the Republic..? :roll: - for 20 years and still I cannot understand all this
fuss between northern and Eire.....I would like to remind that we are in the year 2018...approaching 2020.....and still having this kind of problems is something comparable to the middle ages....wake up, grow up....and stop that....ah, yes...and put away all those funny orange suits and scarves that would be good only for Blackpool fans...

BTW ...I am happy if Paul Smyth is becoming an international player....where ever he plays....even for the republic of San Marino... :wink: