Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12694
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by dm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:53 pm
I can understand why so many of you are ecstatic about coming 16th out of 24th; in your own lives that would represent a triumph fit for Mount Parnassus.

Just remember that not all of the fan base are quite as slow as you guys - some of us actually have ambition.

Keep on clapping away!
I know you're fully committed to winding up people on here Albert, but doesn't it get a bit boring? You post much the same stuff most weeks and in return receive much the same in replies. Surely Twitter would give you a bit more variety. There are shed loads of cyber warriors on there who'd love a keyboard spat with you.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9565
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:53 pm
I can understand why so many of you are ecstatic about coming 16th out of 24th; in your own lives that would represent a triumph fit for Mount Parnassus.

Just remember that not all of the fan base are quite as slow as you guys - some of us actually have ambition.

Keep on clapping away!
You on the other hand come across as a real go-getting intellectual heavyweight.

What does your ambition actually translate into, beyond perpetual one-note whingeing ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:19 pm

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Greyhound » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:56 pm

some of us actually have ambition
Would love know what your ambition is - beyond trolling on messageboards of course.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1205
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by T-Block » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 am

'Get back to wanking over your life-size Neil Warnock poster.'

Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9565
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:03 am

T-Block wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 am
'Get back to wanking over your life-size Neil Warnock poster.'

Does anyone know where I can get one of these?
Just write to him. He's well-known for his diligence in responding to all correspondence personally.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3387
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:47 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:03 am
T-Block wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 am
'Get back to wanking over your life-size Neil Warnock poster.'

Does anyone know where I can get one of these?
Just write to him. He's well-known for his diligence in responding to all correspondence personally.
:lol:

I'd imagine Neil is probably using his, like some sort of Northern pound-shop narcissus.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20234
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Close enough?
Image
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Montag » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:13 pm

People are entitled to be pissed off about Warnock's success at Cardiff. We let him go twice. We hate them. We've had two dud managers appointed before Ollie. They wasted valuable parachute money. Some people think this is acceptable. It's not and making puerile comments about fellow fans isn't big and it isn't clever. Ollie will get there given time but IMO if NW had been appointed again we'd have been promoted by now. Albert's not the only supporter who's rightly critical about it. Most people I speak to at LR are as well as the wider fan base.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3338
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by old pauline » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Do you honestly think Warnock would have got us promoted under our current budgetary restrictions ? I don't remember him being obliged to use U.23's and signing unknowns from Barnsley in 2010/11. From memory he had £500,000 - £1M to spend on the likes of Paddy Kenny, Bradley Orr, Heidar Helguson, Tommy Smith and Adel Taraabt and then was able to afford the wages to get Kyle Walker and Wayne Routledge in on loan.

Are you seriously saying that Darnell Furlong, Josh Scowen, Ebere Eze, Paul Smyth, Alex Baptiste, Conor Washington etc etc compare with the above.

Do me a favour. Colin wouldn't have got us promoted with the money that we have in this current division.
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9565
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Montag wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:13 pm
People are entitled to be pissed off about Warnock's success at Cardiff. We let him go twice. We hate them. We've had two dud managers appointed before Ollie. They wasted valuable parachute money. Some people think this is acceptable. It's not and making puerile comments about fellow fans isn't big and it isn't clever. Ollie will get there given time but IMO if NW had been appointed again we'd have been promoted by now. Albert's not the only supporter who's rightly critical about it. Most people I speak to at LR are as well as the wider fan base.
So poor old Albert's the victim here ? His "happy-clapper" routine for the majority of the last 3 seasons has been a very deliberate wind-up of anyone who doesn't share his relentlessly negative view. You reap what you sow. Boo flipping hoo.

People can speculate all they like about what might have happened had Warnock taken over again, but that's all it is - speculation. That ship sailed two and a half years ago. Bringing it up every time we lose a game is pretty puerile too.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Montag » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am

old pauline wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 pm
Do you honestly think Warnock would have got us promoted under our current budgetary restrictions ? I don't remember him being obliged to use U.23's and signing unknowns from Barnsley in 2010/11. From memory he had £500,000 - £1M to spend on the likes of Paddy Kenny, Bradley Orr, Heidar Helguson, Tommy Smith and Adel Taraabt and then was able to afford the wages to get Kyle Walker and Wayne Routledge in on loan.

Are you seriously saying that Darnell Furlong, Josh Scowen, Ebere Eze, Paul Smyth, Alex Baptiste, Conor Washington etc etc compare with the above.

Do me a favour. Colin wouldn't have got us promoted with the money that we have in this current division.
He would've had more money because of the parachute money. How much did Hasselplank spend? A lot more than Warnock in 10/11.
He holds the record for promotions in England. He will extend it this season with a very mediocre squad.
I attended the games when NW took over from Ramsey. There was an instant improvement. Same as when he took over from Paul Arse.
So yes I do.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4226
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Montag » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:55 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:51 pm
Montag wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:13 pm
People are entitled to be pissed off about Warnock's success at Cardiff. We let him go twice. We hate them. We've had two dud managers appointed before Ollie. They wasted valuable parachute money. Some people think this is acceptable. It's not and making puerile comments about fellow fans isn't big and it isn't clever.Ollie will get there given time but IMO if NW had been appointed again we'd have been promoted by now. Albert's not the only supporter who's rightly critical about it. Most people I speak to at LR are as well as the wider fan base.
So poor old Albert's the victim here ? His "happy-clapper" routine for the majority of the last 3 seasons has been a very deliberate wind-up of anyone who doesn't share his relentlessly negative view. You reap what you sow. Boo flipping hoo.

People can speculate all they like about what might have happened had Warnock taken over again, but that's all it is - speculation. That ship sailed two and a half years ago. Bringing it up every time we lose a game is pretty puerile too.
Football's like that for clubs like ours. The good times are few and far between. How many of us are still bitter about the scousers in 76 and Totnum in 82? Or Thompson selling LF in the 90's? :evil: Frankly, I'm still bitter on my grandad's behalf for what happened in1911. :x As for speculation? Yes, that's all it can be but look at NW's record. But it's gone and we are where we are. So come Saturday let's get behind Ollie and the boys and help the lads finish on a high at LR.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3387
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Satch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Montag wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am
old pauline wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 pm
Do you honestly think Warnock would have got us promoted under our current budgetary restrictions ? I don't remember him being obliged to use U.23's and signing unknowns from Barnsley in 2010/11. From memory he had £500,000 - £1M to spend on the likes of Paddy Kenny, Bradley Orr, Heidar Helguson, Tommy Smith and Adel Taraabt and then was able to afford the wages to get Kyle Walker and Wayne Routledge in on loan.

Are you seriously saying that Darnell Furlong, Josh Scowen, Ebere Eze, Paul Smyth, Alex Baptiste, Conor Washington etc etc compare with the above.

Do me a favour. Colin wouldn't have got us promoted with the money that we have in this current division.
He would've had more money because of the parachute money. How much did Hasselplank spend? A lot more than Warnock in 10/11.
He holds the record for promotions in England. He will extend it this season with a very mediocre squad.
I attended the games when NW took over from Ramsey. There was an instant improvement. Same as when he took over from Paul Arse.
So yes I do.
Nonsense, Warnock had a far better squad that been expensively added to, over a couple of seasons before him. He had money to spend on top. I'd be confident the overall value of his squad was far higher than this one.

It still also assumes Warnock actually wanted the job.

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by DBHoops » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:15 pm

...Not to mention, that Holloway is dealing with self imposed FFP restraints, despite the parachute payments, which Warnock did not have...

Let's face it chaps and chapesses. Comparing Warnock then and Holloway now is comparing Apples with Oranges.

It's all relative. If you compare QPR to Cardiff, then Holloway is doing a poor job. However, if you compare QPR to Sunderland & Hull (teams relegated from the Premier League last season), then Holloway has done a fantastic job.

What is clear is that relegation from the Premier League takes an adjustment period, unless you go straight back up the following season. We are in that period. Fulham and Cardiff got relegated in 2013-14. It has taken them both 4 years to adjust to life in the championship and be competitive. Remember Fulham nearly got relegated the 1st two seasons they were relegated (17th and 20th), they then rebuilt and finished in the play-offs two years in a row & Cardiff have been mid table for the last 4 years. In fact, we are in a worse shape than any of those mentioned as none of them are operating under the spectre of FFP. Double jeopardy if you will.

If you compare QPR and Fulham's first two seasons post relegation, QPR have performed better. The difference is in the third season. Fulham's progression was much more marked than ours.

Of the relegated teams, only Boro have been competitive and if they don't go up via the play-offs this season, they will be in big trouble as they have spent bucketloads of cash. Likewise Villa, if they don't go up will find next year very very tricky.

So realistically where do you think we should be? I think lower mid table is par for the course.

There is reason for optimism. For the first time in recent memory, we have more than one asset that clubs would spend money on and we have kids coming through. The club appears to be steadying, and not doing a Sunderland...

And for that we should be grateful...

We are not Sunderland....

Trojan
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:42 am
Location: KT19

Re: Match Thread: Brentford v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Trojan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Totally agree. Look at all the bigger teams around and below us. 4 more wins and we would have been in for a shout at the last play-off spot.
Sorry in advance.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bear-Grills and 28 guests