SA Road being excavated.

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

SA Road being excavated.

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 am

Originally posted on FB so I nicked it as I thought others may be interested. :-)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: SA Road being excavated.

Post by dm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 am

That must have been shortly after the Swansea game on Boxing Day 2010 as workmen attempted to find Joe Allen after he was left for dead by a Taarabt nutmeg.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 am

dm wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 am
That must have been shortly after the Swansea game on Boxing Day 2010 as workmen attempted to find Joe Allen after he was left for dead by a Taarabt nutmeg.
I remember it well - you could almost see his soul leaving his body the way he slumped after that
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:33 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 am

:D :D :D
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 pm

I think that picture would be from around 1968 - correct? With Ellerslie Road going up a couple of years later?

Could the club possibly excavate the toilets in the latter stand, creating a 'long drop' style early Glasto- facility that would surely be an improvement on the current accommodation?

Just one other thought - has any serious research been done on a 'safe standing' conversion at LR? I'd be interested to know how far this could re-raise the capacity. The government's intransigence here is deeply depressing, but Hoos and Uncle Tony definitely seem to have missed a trick.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Increasing the capacity will do nothing towards increasing the revenue stream required to make QPR have a chance of competing against other Championship sides pushing for promotion. This has been discussed SO many times, how did you miss it?

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Maybe I just take a different view? ethink

I thought the main idea of moving to a super new stadium was to, er, increase capacity/ match-day income. And do a bit more hospitality, and build a few houses.

The irony of your reply is that I myself have pointed out that revenue from none of this will make a very significant difference to the club's balance sheet in the long term - that will come from Sky money, sponsorship and our inextricably linked league status. On the other hand, the damage to the club's history and 'soul' of abandoning out home is potentially incalculable.

All of which might make more critically minded supporters at least somewhat sceptical about what Hoos'/the Board's real agenda is re upping sticks. (Of course, they could all just 'love QPR', and I'm off my soft head.)

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:32 pm

The stadium is losing money every season as it is only used 23 time a season + cup games. A new stadium is required to offer a facility for 360+ days a year and generate the income required to sustain the football side.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:06 pm

and a new stadium will provide what that is different to LR? A car park?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

qpr60
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by qpr60 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Great historical stuff thanks for posting. Don't understand some of the negativity....

offamushinshepherdsbush
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by offamushinshepherdsbush » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 pm

I have to question what passes for fine art these days.
“Give me a ----ing player. A good player.”

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Montag wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:06 pm
and a new stadium will provide what that is different to LR? A car park?
FFS. It was just explained for the umpteenth time in the previous post.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:41 pm

We've hosted YES and a Barry McGuigan punch-up among other things. If the club wanted to, it could improve what we've got and start pushing itself as a venue a bit more again. Frankly, a new soulless stadium is pointless unless we are in the EPL on a regular basis. Even then, with a 30K stadium, we still wouldn't sell out every match. Moving to a new ground is a risky business. A club can lose it's identity forever. As SR points out - in the grand scheme of things, it's the TV money that is the big revenue.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:06 am

:roll: THE STADIUM WILL NOT BE USED JUST FOR FOOTBALL.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 am

Montag wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:41 pm
We've hosted YES and a Barry McGuigan punch-up among other things. If the club wanted to, it could improve what we've got and start pushing itself as a venue a bit more again. Frankly, a new soulless stadium is pointless unless we are in the EPL on a regular basis. Even then, with a 30K stadium, we still wouldn't sell out every match. Moving to a new ground is a risky business. A club can lose it's identity forever. As SR points out - in the grand scheme of things, it's the TV money that is the big revenue.
Yes and McGuigan were decades ago, and aside from the changes enforced by the Taylor report, the ground has altered very little since. It's dated and frankly barely fit for purpose in the Championship, which will be clear to anyone who travels away. A new ground is risky, but doesn't have to be soulless, and lord knows we've had more grounds than most in our history and the club is still alive and kicking.

Of course, the PL money is the big financial reward, but there's a lot of competition for that. With a new stadium, we should be in a better position to control our own destiny.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?