No real complaints ...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

ZENITH R

No real complaints ...

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Although Preston's winner looked off side.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: No real complaints ...

Post by 222gers » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:58 pm

No complaints from me either really, Preston were well in control second half and had the ref in their pocket. We had a reshuffled team and it didn't work. Preston had all the requisites of a side pushing for promotion - quite efficient and well versed in all the dark arts of manipulating a game, lots of little tricks to waste time like the drinks breaks without permission and most annoying that little shuffle off the pitch by one of the substituted players, an utter pi$$ take.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Another team we seem to always struggle against. That trilogy of Burnley,Blackburn and Preston seem to have a sign over us. Blackpool seems to be our favourite team from that neck of the woods.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:52 pm

We couldn't get our fast paced passing together. They were obviously under instructions to stop us from playing football and then they had some strong players (the number 8 Browne and the number 5 Clarke in particular) who were a handful. We never used to do very well against such Billy Davies type teams and today was no different. A taller more destructive central midfielder like a fit Grant Hall or Josh Scowen might possibly have helped. As it was only Luongo and possibly Manning stood out.
Come on you Sooopa ........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Yes, we were lacking in midfield. Cousins worked very hard but to no avail. Our chasing and closing down worked up until half time. Or very nearly half time. Preston worked the ref to their advantage, something we never seem to do. He was absolutely hopeless. Second half we were practically non existent. A day to forget.

In some way this game reminded me of some home defeats earlier in the season. We're at the races in the first half but the other team either step up their game or change tactics, and our players/manager cannot react to it.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Dirty side. Dirtiest in the division. Ref had reasonable 1st half but was utter sheiser in the 2nd. Fell for every trick in and out of the book.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:32 am

Holloway admitting yet again he got his selection wrong in Get West London - for what, about the 5th time this season? He's probably got it right maybe once or twice? How can we develop a playing identity if we never put the same team out from one week to the next? Or am I missing something?

I imagine the 75/76 side probably involved around 15-16 players at most, ditto 1982/83. People can witter on about how football's changed, but it's bullshit, I'm afraid. On average, clubs don't play more games, so squad rotation is mostly silly politics. Football has really gone downhill since then, sadly. Dave Sexton must be spinning in his grave.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

jonf45
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jonf45 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 am

I think I'd prefer it if Holloway came out and said "to be honest I'd not give a damn what you think, we're safe so I decided to try some of the young lads" rather than the usual crap. Yesterday was an awful display by a bunch of players who didn't look at all interested, against a big, dirty side, who clearly had the ref in their pocket. He was truly awful , but after we scored we sat back and let them dictate the game. Throw ins, corners, free kicks and goal kicks were all aimed at Matt Smith, and when he went off it showed we had no plan b as they just did the same thing instead looking for Sylla, who won(or was awarded nothing) against the Preston centre backs. There was only one incisive move that I remember near the end from Eze to little Smyth, but even in the 6 minutes of extra time we only had Sylla in the box!
Preston clearly wanted it more and that annoys the hell out of me, as most of that lot were playing for a contract either here or elsewhere.
Last thing, did Ingram have his feet nailed to the goal line in the second half after his little walk about in the first?!!!
Bad day all round, but was nice to see some sunshine :)

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:51 pm

222gers wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:58 pm
No complaints from me either really, Preston were well in control second half and had the ref in their pocket. We had a reshuffled team and it didn't work. Preston had all the requisites of a side pushing for promotion - quite efficient and well versed in all the dark arts of manipulating a game, lots of little tricks to waste time like the drinks breaks without permission and most annoying that little shuffle off the pitch by one of the substituted players, an utter pi$$ take.
Preston aren't any great shakes. Unlike Wolves or Fulham they'd sink like a stone if they
were promoted.

We were missing key players and the ref was their 12th man.
How do we step up our game on the pitch? Who needs to be brought in?
Staff Benda Bilili

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:51 pm
222gers wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:58 pm
Preston aren't any great shakes. Unlike Wolves or Fulham they'd sink like a stone if they
were promoted.

About 10 ex premiership/ national players looking for a pay day?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:

were promoted.

How about bringing in the manager of the team in second place? He seems to know what he’s doing.....

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:52 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:

were promoted.

How about bringing in the manager of the team in second place? He seems to know what he’s doing.....
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

No complaints about the result... We didn’t play anything like we can, and I understand why Ollie wanted to mix it up a bit.

Preston were horrible to watch, but a masterful performance in how to absolutely kill a game of football and it won them the 3 points. Referee had a stinker, but nothing new there.

Roll on Brentford...
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:49 am

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:52 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:

were promoted.

I expect he'd probably like to stay where he is.