Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Sheffield Wednesday

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Sheffield Wednesday

Post by White Duck » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:55 pm

old pauline wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:46 pm
dm wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 pm
What a strange game that was. We were 4-0 up and hadn't even played all that well. For once we were clinical in front of goal. Wednesday scoring 2 brought this back to earth somewhat but there was rarely much excitement in the game despite the 6 goals.

Smyth's opener was our pick of the bunch. A very cleverly taken goal.

I agree. We were great for 18 minutes (that said Wednesday were dire during that period) and then we were totally indifferent for the remaining 72. You could see why the 4 players who came in (Baptiste, Cousins, Sylla and BOS) have been on the sidelines. None of them pulled up any trees. But no-one stood out. Freeman, Furlong, Bidwell, plenty of others on another day would have been below par with Freeman using the ball poorly and both full backs out of position. Never mind. We won. And Cardiff lost. I go to bed happy.
That's a bit harsh for me: we tore them to pieces to begin with and were clinical for a change. Thought Baptiste did well, BOS was very direct and got the crowd on their feet, and Sylla can't have done too badly as he scored twice. Cousins was average though.

An entertaining game, an emotional tribute to Ray, and a nice interview with Simon Stainrod: I was glad I went tonight.
Lex Talionis........

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Stateside Ranger » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:09 pm

White Duck wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:55 pm
old pauline wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:46 pm
dm wrote:
What a strange game that was. We were 4-0 up and hadn't even played all that well. For once we were clinical in front of goal. Wednesday scoring 2 brought this back to earth somewhat but there was rarely much excitement in the game despite the 6 goals.

I agree. We were great for 18 minutes (that said Wednesday were dire during that period) and then we were totally indifferent for the remaining 72. You could see why the 4 players who came in (Baptiste, Cousins, Sylla and BOS) have been on the sidelines. None of them pulled up any trees. But no-one stood out. Freeman, Furlong, Bidwell, plenty of others on another day would have been below par with Freeman using the ball poorly and both full backs out of position. Never mind. We won. And Cardiff lost. I go to bed happy.
That's a bit harsh for me: we tore them to pieces to begin with and were clinical for a change. Thought Baptiste did well, BOS was very direct and got the crowd on their feet, and Sylla can't have done too badly as he scored twice. Cousins was average though.

An entertaining game, an emotional tribute to Ray, and a nice interview with Simon Stainrod: I was glad I went tonight.
Agreed. I also thought there was some nice link-up play between Smyth and Manning in 2nd half, they both have very good close control and good range of passing.

Holloway was constantly shouting at Sylla to press first half and to be fair he did get after their defence. Well played to him to get the 2 goals. As a slight drawback, for a big man he doesn’t win too many headers from goal kicks given Smithies was aiming at him most of the time he was on.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:38 pm

That was mainly because he was trying to bring the ball down and use his feet, which he did successfully on a number of occasions. The attack was a lot more mobile tonight and it showed in the first 20 minutes; Sylla, BOS, Smyth tore them apart with some slick fluid passing. Robinson MOTM for me tonight despite that as he looked every bit a top quality defender tonight.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:04 pm

I thought Baptise looked pretty good. I didn’t really see who if anyone was at fault for their goals.

It looked to me like everyone was playing for their place in the first twenty minutes.

Cousins was busting a gut and he did get a fair few tackles in but offered us little going forward.

Sylla did get at their defence and had a good game. I’d definitely keep him in the squad as an option next season if he plays like that.

BOS looks a good prospect. Smyth was so good, he’s so quick and deceptively strong. As well as the very good goal, there was a great moment where he beat a huge defender in the air before getting on the end of his own knock down and running at their defence. He didn’t get punished for it today, but his eagerness to win the ball could spill over into recklessness on another day. The same could have been said for Scowen today.

I thought freeman was poor by his standards tonight. Held on to the ball too long with his head down when we were breaking quickly. We can allow him that after the season he’s had tho.

Sinton’s tribute was genuinely heartfelt.

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Spanish Ranger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 am

dm wrote:

Ain't that the truth. A really odd game. 3-0 in 15 mins thanks to a great Smyth finish, a terrible piece of goalkeeping (although the build up was good) and a teriffic cross from Furlong - and yet it never really felt like we had dominated or created chances. Understandably the rest of the 1st half was pretty flat.
2nd half, neither team really got going although we needed a couple of good saves from Smithies to stop it getting very nervy at the end.
Not sure what we learnt from that although I do like the mobility of Smyth and OSB and think that helped Sylla a lot - we looked worse after Matt Smith came on but maybe the game was pretty much over by then.

Great result but as you say, very strange game.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 am

stainesranger wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:04 pm
I thought Baptise looked pretty good. I didn’t really see who if anyone was at fault for their goals.

It looked to me like everyone was playing for their place in the first twenty minutes.

Cousins was busting a gut and he did get a fair few tackles in but offered us little going forward.

Sylla did get at their defence and had a good game. I’d definitely keep him in the squad as an option next season if he plays like that.

BOS looks a good prospect. Smyth was so good, he’s so quick and deceptively strong. As well as the very good goal, there was a great moment where he beat a huge defender in the air before getting on the end of his own knock down and running at their defence. He didn’t get punished for it today, but his eagerness to win the ball could spill over into recklessness on another day. The same could have been said for Scowen today.

I thought freeman was poor by his standards tonight. Held on to the ball too long with his head down when we were breaking quickly. We can allow him that after the season he’s had tho.

Sinton’s tribute was genuinely heartfelt.
Furlong for both. Same as all four against Hull. He has the positional sense of a lemming. A solid right back must be our priority in the close season - after a half decent striker.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:15 am

When was the last. Time we put past someone.
Couldn't believe we were 3 up when I checked the score this morning

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 am

Furlong is still learning - these games will help him - wouldn't want to stunt his progress with bringing in someone else to be first choice - Yiadom from Barnsley would be fair competition for the spot and Yiadom can also cover left back and right wing.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Are you saying Furlong was at fault for all The Hull goals?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm

T-Block wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:26 pm
He does seem to like to wallow in misery doesn't he? :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm
T-Block wrote:
He does appear to be. Also a tad harsh to blame him for their second given the 7" height difference (and that this fella can actually get up pretty well)

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:54 pm

T-Block wrote:
He wasn't alone. It's usually down to more than one player not doing their job properly but have a look and see what you think. It's a matter of opinion but I think he loses concentration too easily. He's not bad going forward and he gets stuck in. I shall have a look myself and re-evaluate my assessment. Maybe I'm being harsh. I don't think so.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm
T-Block wrote:
Montag is getting upset!! :cry:

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:25 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:15 am
When was the last. Time we put past someone.
Couldn't believe we were 3 up when I checked the score this morning
Jesus I sound like I was drunk.
The first line should be:

"When was the last time we put 4 passed someone?"

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:59 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:25 pm
Jesus I sound like I was drunk.