Eze being watched by ten Premier League clubs

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Eze being watched by ten Premier League clubs

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Were you happier when we were going into around half billion pounds worth of unsustainable debt just so we could "compete with the big boys"? It may have escaped your notice but the harsh reality is that even if fans do vote with their feet it will have little impact on our revenue streams. I said 2 seasons ago that we have around 6 years of hurt heading our way due to the overspending years, if not more and so far I would have to say we are doing a lot better than I thought we would. I expected us to be visiting League 1 by now but thanks to Lee Hoos, Les Ferdinand and their staff we seem to have got the recovery plan running better than I dared hope and we may be able to stay in this division for the duration. I assume that you you are one of those fans who has already voted with their feet, it's your prerogative and your money, but I'm sure you'll be back when the good times roll round again like they have several times over the years since I first started watching QPR.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Satch wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:50 am
You seem to have a real issue with Hoos being American, why is that? Your plan sounds great except you haven't quite established how to pay for it. We are a selling club, otherwise, we'll be a bankrupt club, fans need to hear that, not be pandered to, then throw the toys out at the surprise of players being sold.

Surely the fact our youth players are generating interest for the first time in years suggest the strategy is paying off? We've netted about 10 million quid for Sterling (pre-dating the current board tbf) and so far over a million for Bowler, who is yet to establish himself in the Everton U23s. I recall everyone's upset at Kpekawa being sold and that turned out not to be a disaster.
I think this is spot on. We have too many fans who still think anything below the premier league is failure. We would all like to be higher in the league but I'm really happy with the direction the whole club is now moving in.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Nick_Hammersmith wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:09 am
Satch wrote:
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Oh, I don't know. Maybe try to build a team/squad/playing style. Offer competitive contracts and real footballing development to the cream of our crop. Put some kind of sticky tape over Hoos' mouth if he continues to use Fans Forums to tell the world and his dog that we're a selling club with a stupid American smile on his face. Don't sell players the manager wants to keep, or put ridiculous prices on their heads when Spuds, Everton and Liverpool come calling. See where that takes us!
You seem to have a real issue with Hoos being American, why is that? Your plan sounds great except you haven't quite established how to pay for it. We are a selling club, otherwise, we'll be a bankrupt club, fans need to hear that, not be pandered to, then throw the toys out at the surprise of players being sold.

Surely the fact our youth players are generating interest for the first time in years suggest the strategy is paying off? We've netted about 10 million quid for Sterling (pre-dating the current board tbf) and so far over a million for Bowler, who is yet to establish himself in the Everton U23s. I recall everyone's upset at Kpekawa being sold and that turned out not to be a disaster.
Yep, swap 'American' with something else, like 'black' and this doesn't read well at all.
Not sure where Hoos comes from has anything to do with it.
--Would you rather the CEO lies to us, or gives us hard truths?
Agreed, although i won't pretend being descriminated against for being from a developed nation carries with it the same weight and baggage as race. It's still irrelevant though, i'll also add that whilst Americans (unfairly to an extent) don't get much credit for their knowledge of football, one area where i feel like they're streets ahead is sports management. Which is exactly what Hoos is here to do.

As you say, i'm glad he is honest, we are not in great shape, i feel for the bloke at each forum when he's trying to give an honest assessment and talk about core initiatives and some 45 year old man-child from Greenford is kicking off because he isn't getting his name on his seat this year.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:57 pm
Satch wrote:

I think this is spot on. We have too many fans who still think anything below the premier league is failure. We would all like to be higher in the league but I'm really happy with the direction the whole club is now moving in.

Yep, Satch and Lee, that's pretty well where I'd put myself too. Things aren't perfect - when were they? But we've made great strides in finding our feet again, if you'll excuse the mixed metaphors. And, dare I say it, after 10 years of madness, we're beginning to rediscover our identity as a club.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 pm

dm wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:48 pm
Lee Gib wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:57 pm
Satch wrote:

Yep, Satch and Lee, that's pretty well where I'd put myself too. Things aren't perfect - when were they? But we've made great strides in finding our feet again, if you'll excuse the mixed metaphors. And, dare I say it, after 10 years of madness, we're beginning to rediscover our identity as a club.
Agreed, even the fans that want to see us blowing cash also bemoaned the lost identity. For the record, i want nothing more than for us to be a top-flight club. I hate seeing us lose games and good players. But realistically speaking it's going to be a long road ahead, especially with FFP, there is no quick fix to this.

bushkangaroo
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by bushkangaroo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:13 am

Some good points. Unfortunately, Flav & Bernie dithered, TF felt the need to splash out straight away, and Warnock, recognising our plight if we were to survive, rushed into purchases and contracts for whomever was still available (not much). And then it seems, we didn't do our due diligence-effectively blowing a fortune on supporting the dubious likes of Joorabchian, Hughes & Redchap in their 'endeavours'. Now the cupboard is bare, FFP still hangs around like a bad smell, and we can at least cautiously, see some signs of progress. But do I think we'll be as strong or stronger come Aug 31st 2018 as we are now in terms of playing-staff? No, I don't. Hopefully, though, we can come through all this, and reach the Premiership within the next decade.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:15 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:25 pm
Were you happier when we were going into around half billion pounds worth of unsustainable debt just so we could "compete with the big boys"? It may have escaped your notice but the harsh reality is that even if fans do vote with their feet it will have little impact on our revenue streams. I said 2 seasons ago that we have around 6 years of hurt heading our way due to the overspending years, if not more and so far I would have to say we are doing a lot better than I thought we would. I expected us to be visiting League 1 by now but thanks to Lee Hoos, Les Ferdinand and their staff we seem to have got the recovery plan running better than I dared hope and we may be able to stay in this division for the duration. I assume that you you are one of those fans who has already voted with their feet, it's your prerogative and your money, but I'm sure you'll be back when the good times roll round again like they have several times over the years since I first started watching QPR.
Yes, obviously that's exactly what I said/intened! Kindly feel at complete liberty to subvert/invert my next opinion via ludicrous caricature of its opposite to score an embarrassingly cheap point. aniclap
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:02 am

It took you two days just to prove my point? Would it have helped if I had been American too?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 pm

I rest my case!

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by sparkypark » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:46 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:28 pm
Having lived there for a year, I have a love-hate relationship with America(ns), especially Americans in British football. Particular when they come to England talking about the 'guys', the 'changing rooms' and showing contempt for the culture of Loftus Road by sabotaging the Loft, then lying about how well-fulled the lower tier is.

I'm not a complete pie-in-the sky idealist - I realise occasional player sales are more or less inevitable. But when the best of our youth are sold off at the drop of a hat, having had their heads turned by agents, my point self-evidently stands. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. If we stagnate or decline via sustained asset-stripping, the executive should walk, and may fans will vote with their feet.

I'm struck by how much the club's policy of 'managing expectations' has seeped into the fan base. Richard Thompson, not very long ago, was pilloried for selling off our crown jewels, while Hoos is seen as some kind of pragmatic messiah.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it, or not yet at least.
I presume this is not a serious post. We are a club that can, because of our limited income, only susrvive by finding good, cheap, young players, developing them and selling some of them from off to bigger clubs. Good deals allow us to buy more young possibilities. Of course we want to hold on to some of the gems to get us up to the Premier League - but (repeat) we are not a rich club; our model must be more the Burnley over the past few years rather than the QPR of the early Fernandes years.
Between my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests. I'll dig with it.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 am

I'm puzzled why you think my post is not in earnest, especially as you seem to be in part agreement with it. Like the previous poster who made a mockery of my words, you don't seem to be a very close reader to say the least. Look again, and you'll see I conceded one or two player sales are inevitable. Clubs like Bournemouth have even smaller gates than ours, but engaged in squad-building and created a player identity, while mysteriously Brentford, another 'small' club, are doing better than us, not to mention Fulham. We have a lot of work to do to emulate them, and I shall be watching very carefully to see how serious Les and Hoos are about helping Ollie to hold onto the nucleus of this promising squad.

Nick_Hammersmith
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Nick_Hammersmith » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:03 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 am
I'm puzzled why you think my post is not in earnest, especially as you seem to be in part agreement with it. Like the previous poster who made a mockery of my words, you don't seem to be a very close reader to say the least. Look again, and you'll see I conceded one or two player sales are inevitable. Clubs like Bournemouth have even smaller gates than ours, but engaged in squad-building and created a player identity, while mysteriously Brentford, another 'small' club, are doing better than us, not to mention Fulham. We have a lot of work to do to emulate them, and I shall be watching very carefully to see how serious Les and Hoos are about helping Ollie to hold onto the nucleus of this promising squad.
I think Fulham will generate a lot of money from Sessegnon this summer. You only need the one big sale to set you up for a while. Lets not forget that Brentford have sold their best players regularly for a few years at least, Hogan, Gray etc...

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:12 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 am
Debatable. They had a rich Russian owner, and spent money that they could never have hoped to generate independently. A very good management team was a much more important factor in my view. Fulham also have spending power well beyond ours. Mitrovic on loan would be out of the reach of most clubs in the Championship.

Brentford is a much fairer comparison and they are certainly outperforming us by a distance. They regularly sell their best players though. The trick is to have a pipeline of potential quality replacements lined up, which they seem to be very good at.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Eze had a poor game today and a number of patrons around me were decrying his lack of aggression.

Don't get me wrong, very talented youngster but on today's showing he'll benchwarm for a long time in the top league.

@19 he has a lot to learn.
Staff Benda Bilili

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:03 pm
Eze had a poor game today and a number of patrons around me were decrying his lack of aggression.

Don't get me wrong, very talented youngster but on today's showing he'll benchwarm for a long time in the top league.

@19 he has a lot to learn.
Wycombe fans said during his loan this season that he could disappear in games and he did so today. He needs to learn how to impose himself on a game for 90 minutes rather than in fits and starts. That said, he wasn't given a lot of ball today and when he did gain possession I think he was a bit too deep.

@19 he's doing ok though.