Simon Stainrod

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Simon Stainrod

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Do you remember the Fenwick free kick at home to Pompey, Ardiles was playing for us that day too, when he shifted the ball about a foot to get a better angle after the wall was positioned and the ref had turned his back? Scored directly and the Pompey players went mental at the ref. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:33 pm
Roeder wasn't too bad, like Waddock he could look after himself. Martin Allen took it up another notch or two as did Simon but Terry 'Two Foot' Fenwick was probably the worst of them all. Broke his own leg jumping in with both feet playing for Spurs. Karma. Good player and captain for us though and I was disappointed when he left, same with Roeder. I can't remember why Glen left us.
Wasn't it Gavin Maguire who effectively ended his own career in wiping out Danny Thomas at Spurs ? Or was it Danny Thomas's career that he ended ? It all gets so blurred !
Come on you Sooopa ........

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:55 pm

:lol: I was working in Nottingham that year so missed that Esox. I didn't miss the 5-2 cup defeat at Forest where Ardilles broke his leg and Clough was hitting his own fans.

We played much better in the league against them that year though, Peter Reid was outstanding setting up a last minute equaliser for Andy Sinton. 2-2.

Gavin Maguire did for Danny Thomas at White Hart Lane with an awful knee high challenge although his own career went downhill after that, he looked promising before then.

As for left backs Old Pauline both Mark Dennis and Kenny Sansom came after Simon. Ian Dawes was around then for sure with Warren Neill but our regular left back when Simon first joined the club was still Ian Gillard.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Gav is now a hairdresser and can be found on FB. My recollection at the time was that he meant to stop Danny Thomas in his tracks but never to cripple him. The end to a promising career.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:03 pm

I recall Dave Bennett nutmegging Mark Dennis in a game and getting an earful from him for doing it. Later in the game QPR had a free kick over on the touchline about 30(ish) yards from goal and Bennett was rhytmically jumping up and down in front of Dennis as he prepared to take it. I imagine that revenge was uppermost in his mind as Mark drove the ball full blooded into Bennetts stomach whilst he was in the air and just about folded him in half, you you hear his breath leave him from the Loft :D He had to leave the pitch and no, I have no idea if we scored from it. :lol:

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Stainrod got sent off against Ipswich in a 5th Round LC match at LR. It was right in front of me in the Paddock. SS got fed up with being kicked and turned round and pushed Russell Osman which caused a fracas. Can't remember if Osman got sent off as well. SS was shipped out soon after that. Only my opinion but I think Jim G was pissed orf at him for costing us the match and a place in the semis. At the final whistle a shower of seats came down from the SA stand onto the escaping Ipswich players and there was a near riot outside afterwards.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Maybe it's old age but the football seemed more fun back then, I can remember so many things. Not only for us either I remember a young Ruel Fox making an early and outstanding substitute appearance for Norwich and even more so Dave Kitson for Cambridge.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:14 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:24 pm
Maybe it's old age but the football seemed more fun back then, I can remember so many things. Not only for us either I remember a young Ruel Fox making an early and outstanding substitute appearance for Norwich and even more so Dave Kitson for Cambridge.
Football certainly was more fun back in the day, I would often still be buzzing when going in to work on Monday. I remember a game against Leicester, turning to my mate beside me and saying “ ‘ere, their front two look dangerous. “ The front two turned out to be Gary Lineker and Alan Smith in their earlier years.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 pm

I remember they called him Stainrodney...wonder why?! :wink:

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:39 pm
Do you remember the Fenwick free kick at home to Pompey, Ardiles was playing for us that day too, when he shifted the ball about a foot to get a better angle after the wall was positioned and the ref had turned his back? Scored directly and the Pompey players went mental at the ref. :lol: :lol: :lol:
For me Fenwick will always be the man who ghosted in from the right to equalise against Spurs in the final. Brought me to tears! :oops: