Smyth and Sylla ?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm
Pffff, Conor Washington's Peterborough United video is way better than that!!
His returns for us less so impressive.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4976
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Swinedon

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Rbee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:54 pm
Rbee wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm
Pffff, Conor Washington's Peterborough United video is way better than that!!
His returns for us less so impressive.
My point exactly, never trust a video, not even for Sammy Kojoe.

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:14 pm
Location: Back in Southampton - missing the sun.

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Spanish Ranger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:27 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:42 pm
Check out Smyth and Washington combining to score Northern Ireland's winner against South Korea.
Which was my original suggestion earlier in the thread. Whilst I doubt they will score many, their pace will occupy the Wed back line and that can leave space and opportunities for Eze, Luongo and Freeman.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3450
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Spanish Ranger wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:27 pm
QPR-NI wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:42 pm
Check out Smyth and Washington combining to score Northern Ireland's winner against South Korea.
Which was my original suggestion earlier in the thread. Whilst I doubt they will score many, their pace will occupy the Wed back line and that can leave space and opportunities for Eze, Luongo and Freeman.
Washington is more bustling than quick. I'd be all for starting Smyth in a 3 but i still think we need someone who is bit more of a target man and handful to mark. I don't think that goal for NI should be a blueprint.

I'd have Sylla up top, Smyth and BOS or Wszolek either side of him and Eze dropping between a 3rd midfielder and number 10. Freeman to have a game off.

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:14 pm
Location: Back in Southampton - missing the sun.

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Spanish Ranger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 pm
The stats I linked to are from when he first joined us under JFH. My point in posting the video was to demonstrate that with decent service he does have better goal scoring instincts than any of our other strikers, even without the service he still has a better GTM ratio than them. He will never be Charlie Austin or Loïc Rémy, or even Djibril Cissé but he didn't cost their money either.
But can we really compare his performance in the Belgium league - which is about on a par with Scotland................and even Sean Goss looks quite good up there!! :roll:

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3450
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Is it that uncompetitive? Is Sean Goss that poor?

We can look at Sylla's record last season though.

User avatar
Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2722
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Somewhere in Hertfordshire

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Barry » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Spanish Ranger wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 pm
The stats I linked to are from when he first joined us under JFH. My point in posting the video was to demonstrate that with decent service he does have better goal scoring instincts than any of our other strikers, even without the service he still has a better GTM ratio than them. He will never be Charlie Austin or Loïc Rémy, or even Djibril Cissé but he didn't cost their money either.
But can we really compare his performance in the Belgium league - which is about on a par with Scotland................and even Sean Goss looks quite good up there!! :roll:

You had to mention Goss didn’t you?!?! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
QPR & Ireland

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8840
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Smyth & Sylla seems to be working so far!
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2373
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:37 am
Location: Folkestone

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Spencer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 am

After last night, any chance Sylla could be given a run in this team to see what he can do please Ollie ?

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 am

Spencer wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 am
After last night, any chance Sylla could be given a run in this team to see what he can do please Ollie ?
Those three last night were a breath of fresh air, speed, mobility and playing off each other. It was like they had been playing together all season. Idrissa even seems to be improving his ability to stay onside too :D I like that he tries to bring the ball down to his feet rather than the lottery that is Smith's 50p headers. Jordan Cousins also seems to have upped his game too, a very competent performance last night.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by White Duck » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:42 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 am
Spencer wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 am
After last night, any chance Sylla could be given a run in this team to see what he can do please Ollie ?
Those three last night were a breath of fresh air, speed, mobility and playing off each other. It was like they had been playing together all season. Idrissa even seems to be improving his ability to stay onside too :D I like that he tries to bring the ball down to his feet rather than the lottery that is Smith's 50p headers. Jordan Cousins also seems to have upped his game too, a very competent performance last night.
I think Olly chose the right team to take advantage of a slow and weak Wednesday defence last night. Smith was disappointing when he came on, pity Sylla can't do 90 mins. Cousins did a few good things but was still poor, miles behind Luongo and also Manning IMO.
Lex Talionis........

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6356
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Exeter

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Devonranger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 am

I hope we keep Sylla - like the way he can bring the ball down and keep possession. Perhaps having the likes of Smyth and BOS working off him is what we have needed - proper pace.

Would be good if Washington could come good and give us a decent rota of strikers at this level.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12758
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by dm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:14 pm

I've said before that £1.75m will not buy much of a striker these days - that's what Sylla cost. We're far better off keeping and working with him.

That's not to say we don't need another striker - that's a transfer priority. But I feel we need to keep both Smith and Sylla, let Washington go and get a good loan for Oteh for half a season and see how he returns to us in January. We then can let Eze play in his natural no 10 role and Smyth in his natural wide role.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 pm

I think that prognosis sounds sensible, too. Not sure if IH has given any intimations on whether he wants to retain Sylla, who has a credible goal-scoring record with us (52 apps, 14 goals)? If he can stay fit and interested, that could surely be built on. Smith isn't necessarily a starter for me, and - newsflash! - Washington isn't good enough. Smyth is a shoo-in, as he could be even better than Cookie. Eze also has to be pivotal next season, though is there then still room for Freeman? (I'd accept us losing either him or Luongo, if push came to shove, but not both.)
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 20 guests