Smyth and Sylla ?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by 222gers » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 pm

With Smith ill and Washington possibly out of favour ( can't think why :wink: ), could we see Sylla and Smyth as front two on Tuesday ? Certainly they would be quicker and more mobile than we are used to seeing. It'll be interesting to see who plays CB as there are rumours Robinson may not make it. Who'd be a football manager eh ?

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Smyth and Sylla ?

Post by Devonranger » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Maybe should have started at Hull together?

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Can't see Sylla assisting Smyth significantly. Doesn't seem capable of threading in others in my opinion. The corollary is another question - Smyth might cross it for Sylla but cannot see the relationship being reciprocal. If Sylla is to play then I'd go with Eze up front. Matt Smith would be my first choice though.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Spanish Ranger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:10 am

222gers wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 pm
With Smith ill and Washington possibly out of favour ( can't think why :wink: ), could we see Sylla and Smyth as front two on Tuesday ? Certainly they would be quicker and more mobile than we are used to seeing. It'll be interesting to see who plays CB as there are rumours Robinson may not make it. Who'd be a football manager eh ?
Being more mobile than Matt Smith is hardly a ringing endorsement!!
Maybe Washington and Smyth could work - I know Wash is out of favour but their pace would make Wed play much deeper on the back foot and bring the midfield more into play. Doubt it will happen but would be interesting.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:32 am

Maybe Sylla just needs a run in the side and some of the service/ set ups he was used to before he joined us?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:32 am
Maybe Sylla just needs a run in the side and some of the service/ set ups he was used to before he joined us?
He has had a few runs in the side and hasn't impressed. A classic case of a player looking better when he's not selected.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:59 am

White Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:32 am
He has had a few runs in the side and hasn't impressed. A classic case of a player looking better when he's not selected.
You'll have to refresh my memory, I can't think of more than two successive games he has started in. I'm not saying that there aren'tany but I can't think of them, it's all been fits & starts with odd subs appearances in my memory.

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Spanish Ranger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:59 am
You'll have to refresh my memory, I can't think of more than two successive games he has started in. I'm not saying that there aren'tany but I can't think of them, it's all been fits & starts with odd subs appearances in my memory.
To be fair, I think he had a decent run of games October through December last year (maybe 10 starts in a row?), although I seem to recall he was subsituted around the hour mark a lot of the time.
I don't think it is the lack of a run of games that is the issue (he played over 30 times in the 16/17 season), I just don't think we set up to accomodate him and I'm not sure he's good enough that we should. He slower than Washigton/Smyth and not as good at bringing others in as Smith.
He's a bit of an enigma to me and whilst I'm happy when he plays, he never seems to quite get going in the way someone like Charlie Austin did.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Spanish Ranger wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:20 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
To be fair, I think he had a decent run of games October through December last year (maybe 10 starts in a row?), although I seem to recall he was subsituted around the hour mark a lot of the time.
I don't think it is the lack of a run of games that is the issue (he played over 30 times in the 16/17 season), I just don't think we set up to accomodate him and I'm not sure he's good enough that we should. He slower than Washigton/Smyth and not as good at bringing others in as Smith.
He's a bit of an enigma to me and whilst I'm happy when he plays, he never seems to quite get going in the way someone like Charlie Austin did.
Who does? (Comparisons are odious.)

I think there's a decent player in there somewhere, but a decidedly frustrating one who seems to blow hot and cold, and not to have been able to nail down a first team place in all the time he's been here, given his injuries and whatever else. As with JET, we just don't seem to have been able to get the best out of him. One can't help wondering about the set-up behind the scenes as much as the player.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Spanish Ranger wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:
I looked at that season and he had around 10 league starts throughout the season with 2 x a run of 2 successive starts and a run of 3 successive starts. He still ended up as top scorer.
http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/quee ... rs/2017/3/

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Spanish Ranger wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sorry, i don't think this could be further from the truth. Sylla plays far better with his back to goal and is far more aware of his teamates, it doens't always come off but he looks to feed others a lot.

Last season he had one of the best goals to minutes ratios - with a decent number of both so as to provide a fairly representative sample. This year he has rarely had a run of starts and in a team that was failing to create chances. He should get a run of games, with our resources there is imo more chance of him providing a decent return than there is a better replacement being found for the same price.

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Spanish Ranger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:26 pm
I looked at that season and he had around 10 league starts throughout the season with 2 x a run of 2 successive starts and a run of 3 successive starts. He still ended up as top scorer.
http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/quee ... rs/2017/3/
I haven't checked the stats but I'm sure your right. However, he did have 30+ games in the previous season including many starts and he didn't really set the world alight. I personally think he has had plenty of chances and if his all round play added to the team then I think he would be a regular. However, he often doesn't seem to be that interested and doesn't really score enough (hence the comparison with Austin who also drifted in/out of games but scored a lot of goals) so he is never going to work well in a Holloway team - probably why we regulalry saw Jamie Mackie picked ahead of him!

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 pm

The stats I linked to are from when he first joined us under JFH. My point in posting the video was to demonstrate that with decent service he does have better goal scoring instincts than any of our other strikers, even without the service he still has a better GTM ratio than them. He will never be Charlie Austin or Loïc Rémy, or even Djibril Cissé but he didn't cost their money either.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Pffff, Conor Washington's Peterborough United video is way better than that!!

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Check out Smyth and Washington combining to score Northern Ireland's winner against South Korea.