Exodus begins

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Exodus begins

Post by Greyhound » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:24 pm

It's just reality - if someone wants to make a silly offer for Eze, we would have to take it, and he would probably want to go.

We have a good strategy now, much more in line with the way the club has traditionally built teams. And there are plenty of overlooked players out there who can be acquired cheaply, we are seeing them all the time at other clubs, and are just getting our act together in the last few years to enable us to join the party.

I hope we never go back to the Remy or Cisse days. Those kind of players do far more harm to the club than if we nurture a talent like Eze for a few seasons and then lose him for a good price.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 pm

I enjoyed watching Cisse and Remy play! But I get your point.

We still need to have some playing experience around the place and the occassional sniff at promotion which would boost the club no end.

It seems this summer we are taking a step backwards losing a bunch of players.

Like most things in life a happy medium is the ideal solution.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:24 pm
It's just reality - if someone wants to make a silly offer for Eze, we would have to take it, and he would probably want to go.

We have a good strategy now, much more in line with the way the club has traditionally built teams. And there are plenty of overlooked players out there who can be acquired cheaply, we are seeing them all the time at other clubs, and are just getting our act together in the last few years to enable us to join the party.

I hope we never go back to the Remy or Cisse days. Those kind of players do far more harm to the club than if we nurture a talent like Eze for a few seasons and then lose him for a good price.
Exactly my point, what will not work is selling players after only a few games. No scouting system however good could handle that

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:16 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 pm
Exactly my point, what will not work is selling players after only a few games. No scouting system however good could handle that.
Selling players every season or two. It looks like Southampton have finally capitulated with this strategy forced upon them.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:11 pm

Whilst Holloway has said that we def will lose some senior pros and there has been some speculation about who might go, I remain hopeful that it won’t be an “exodus”.

I think that the club won’t necessarily sacrifice the promising foundation that it has slowly built. There seems to be an assumption that we will flog anyone that might command a transfer fee. Maybe we will but, until we know for definite, I hope that we might keep the nucleus of a strong squad together. I’m certainly not overly concerned by those that have been confirmed to be on their way out.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:21 am

The difficulty today is the big clubs can hoover up and warehouse a large number of young and promising players which causes problems to both selling clubs and players alike.

I think new rules on selling players under, say, 21 should be created to give some protection. For example, if bought give the clubs the right to keep their young players on loan for a season or two, perhaps dependant on age, while the buying club still has to pay the increased wage. That would at least help matters.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:16 am

QPR_John wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:00 pm
Greyhound wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:15 pm
Two harsh but unavoidable economic realities: player sales are the only way of significantly bumping our income in the short term; player salaries have to be lower than they were a few years back.

The consequences of this are that we have to accept any decent offer for any player, and this is what we will do. Also, we are not going to be able to offer the kinds of contract the players like Perch and Onuoha have had in the past. We will be easily outbid by our Championship rivals, never mind PL teams.

So we have to be focused on quietly acquiring affordable replacements for these players, and this is really the club's traditional strategy, and what Ferdinand and Hoos have quietly been putting together in the background for the last few years, in addition to the player development side (Ramsey) which is now starting to bear real fruit.
But how long can we go on getting affordable replacements how many are there out there. The clubs traditional strategy worked, how many games did we get out of Sinclair, how many games did we get out of Ferdinand, Clive Allen, Seaman etc. There is already talk about selling Eze after only a few games. You can sell one or two a season but if everybody is up for sale that is not a strategy.
I was intrigued by that question (rhetorical?) about how many games Trevor Sinclair, Clive Allen, Les Ferdinand and David Seaman played for us. With the help of Wikipedia, the answer seems to be:
Trevor Sinclair 167 (16 goals)
Clive Allen 49 (32 goals!) (later, he returned and made 87 appearances and scored 40 goals)
Les Ferdinand 163 (80 goals)
David Seaman 141

Not too bad?
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 am

kernowhoop wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:16 am

I was intrigued by that question (rhetorical?) about how many games Trevor Sinclair, Clive Allen, Les Ferdinand and David Seaman played for us. With the help of Wikipedia, the answer seems to be:
Trevor Sinclair 167 (16 goals)
Clive Allen 49 (32 goals!) (later, he returned and made 87 appearances and scored 40 goals)
Les Ferdinand 163 (80 goals)
David Seaman 141

Not too bad?
Very disappointed in Spunky's goal record!

For those of you with better memories than me, I thought that Seaman played to a much higher standard after he left us, is that a reasonable statement?

Who was the best keeper we ever had?
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

patrickqpr
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by patrickqpr » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:17 am

Phil Parkes

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:36 am

Phil Parkes; although Seaman made the best save I have ever seen live from an Ian Rush header at the School End, he arched backwards to tip a ball going low into the corner, over the crossbar. I worked with a scouser at the time who had gone to the game and he thought it was better than Banks' save from Pele, he may have been right.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:11 am

Rbee wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:16 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Exactly my point, what will not work is selling players after only a few games. No scouting system however good could handle that.
Selling players every season or two. It looks like Southampton have finally capitulated with this strategy forced upon them.
To get top money for players when we sell them we need to wait until they have played a decent number of games and raised their profile. Selling Bowler after a few minutes first team football seemed crazy: he could have become a first team regular this season helping us to achieve better results and at the same time increasing his selling value. Would keep Eze, Smyth etc and look to sell the more established players such a Luongo whilst their stock is at its highest.
Lex Talionis........

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Exodus Lucius
Come on you Sooopa ........

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Jan Stejskal is the only goalkeeper that has made me shout out 'Oh what a save.' It was down at the School End, I can't remember against who. But Jan also had the ability to punch the ball six inches away, never heard a crowd gasp with amazement like that before!

Difficult to choose between Phil and David, it's all too easy to don the rose coloured specs when it comes to the 75/76 team but quite rightly so. Phil was always behind Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton when it came to England but before Joe Corrigan.

White Duck I agree with what you say and you paint the ideal scenario but as dm points out the Premier League clubs can just hoover up young talent if they want to.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:55 pm

old pauline wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:10 pm
Exodus Lucius
Movement of Dab people?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:21 pm

White Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:11 am
Rbee wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:16 pm
QPR_John wrote:
To get top money for players when we sell them we need to wait until they have played a decent number of games and raised their profile. Selling Bowler after a few minutes first team football seemed crazy: he could have become a first team regular this season helping us to achieve better results and at the same time increasing his selling value. Would keep Eze, Smyth etc and look to sell the more established players such a Luongo whilst their stock is at its highest.
Wasn't Bowler unwilling to extend his deal? Both that and what he's achieved in Everton's youth team make me think the club were probably justified in taking the cash. I agree with you though, i think we'd be better off trying to keep Eze and Smyth unless a silly offer comes in and try and get meaningful revenue for the likes of Smithies and Luongo or Freeman (more likely the former, i'd prefer the later) even if it's daunting to face next season weakened.