Exodus begins

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Exodus begins

Post by Satch » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:10 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:34 am
It would certainly piss me off if Robinson went to Foolham, especially after the loyalty the club showed him during his ridiculously long injury problems, as has been pointed out elsewhere. But if the club don't/can't afford to renew his contract, the point is moot. After all, this is business, as much as football.
What loyalty did we show?

JET obviously makes sense, as does Mackie - given his age, injuries and number of much younger players challenging for places in attack. As other's have said, Perch could have been an asset in a slimed down squad but it maybe he is not interested or the club has concerns over his fitness long term. Losing Chief and Robinson will be big loses but if that's what they want, you can't blame them. It's a big worry how we will replace them with no funds coming in for them, hopefully, the freed up salary is substantial.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Do what it takes to retain Robinson. For various reasons the other are relatively expendable. I liked Perch though.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm

For what it's worth, Dave Mc has said there's been no interest shown by any club in Smithies, Freeman, Luongo or Scowen despite what clickbait websites report.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:20 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 pm
Do what it takes to retain Robinson. For various reasons the other are relatively expendable. I liked Perch though.
I'd rather hang on to Ned, Robinson's injury record precludes him from helping us really push on IMO
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Bit disconcerting to hear Ned fancies a move north. He'll be sorely missed. We need Hall back from injury otherwise we could have a Lynch/Baptiste central pairing next season.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:52 pm
Rbee wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:40 am
Villa linked with Luongo.

Agree about Perch, an excellent squad player. So is this the beginning of maintaining the first team squad on a shoestring? Who knows, we shall no doubt find out in the summer.

Annoying as building a little on what we currently have could be our best chance of worrying the top six for a long time.

I am sure I read that Fernandes is holding a meeting with fans soon? This is the top question for me, the owners plans for the first team squad. Not that you could completely believe the answer anyway.
I can see plenty of interest in Luongo after the World Cup. Think he’ll go for a fair whack too.
Agree with that. Not too sure about Australia's game but I can see Mass doing well in the World Cup and bids being made.
Come on you Sooopa ........

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:54 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 pm
Bit disconcerting to hear Ned fancies a move north. He'll be sorely missed. We need Hall back from injury otherwise we could have a Lynch/Baptiste central pairing next season.
Can't see us keeping Ned or Robinson and with Perch going as well we will no doubt have a few central defenders coming in: I'm hoping Penrice and his team can find us a couple of decent ones along the lines of Peacock and Tillson back in the day....
Lex Talionis........

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:32 am

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Pretty sure promotion isn't happening.
dm wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm
For what it's worth, Dave Mc has said there's been no interest shown by any club in Smithies, Freeman, Luongo or Scowen despite what clickbait websites report.
Is this good or bad, obviously i want to keep them but if we need money - we need to have assets we can sell. Scowen's decent but i don't think he'd generate much cash. Who would people see us cash in on? We would benefit from getting to see what Ingram can do before the season is out.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:32 am

Satch wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:32 am
BiscuitRanger wrote:
dm wrote:
Is this good or bad, obviously i want to keep them but if we need money - we need to have assets we can sell. Scowen's decent but i don't think he'd generate much cash. Who would people see us cash in on? We would benefit from getting to see what Ingram can do before the season is out.
According to the BBC gossip page:

Crystal Palace, Aston Villa and Malaga are all interested in signing Australian midfielder Massimo Luongo, 25, from QPR.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:53 am

Satch wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:32 am
BiscuitRanger wrote:
dm wrote:
The team is just beginning to come together, the game at Villa, second half against Fulham, the Reading match (we really should have got something) and then Norwich. If we are in such a finacial state that we cannot keep it together at least until January I cannot see much of a future. How many offers would we accept, Onuoha and Robinson could go on a free would we let Smithies, Luongo, Scowen and Eze go

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:14 am

dm wrote:
It’s not the summer yet. But If that is the situation on the day the window closes, I will be quite happy.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Two harsh but unavoidable economic realities: player sales are the only way of significantly bumping our income in the short term; player salaries have to be lower than they were a few years back.

The consequences of this are that we have to accept any decent offer for any player, and this is what we will do. Also, we are not going to be able to offer the kinds of contract the players like Perch and Onuoha have had in the past. We will be easily outbid by our Championship rivals, never mind PL teams.

So we have to be focused on quietly acquiring affordable replacements for these players, and this is really the club's traditional strategy, and what Ferdinand and Hoos have quietly been putting together in the background for the last few years, in addition to the player development side (Ramsey) which is now starting to bear real fruit.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:15 pm
Two harsh but unavoidable economic realities: player sales are the only way of significantly bumping our income in the short term; player salaries have to be lower than they were a few years back.

The consequences of this are that we have to accept any decent offer for any player, and this is what we will do. Also, we are not going to be able to offer the kinds of contract the players like Perch and Onuoha have had in the past. We will be easily outbid by our Championship rivals, never mind PL teams.

So we have to be focused on quietly acquiring affordable replacements for these players, and this is really the club's traditional strategy, and what Ferdinand and Hoos have quietly been putting together in the background for the last few years, in addition to the player development side (Ramsey) which is now starting to bear real fruit.
You'll still find people on here saying “ when are we gonna sign some decent strikers? “

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Greyhound wrote:

If that deeply depressing assertion is correct, and I were Ian Holloway, I'd expect him to be taking a very solemn look at his own position this summer with a view to joining a more serious football club, rather than one that lurches from feast to famine through continuous mismanagement, Football league persecution, and the greed of young players/their agents. It's OK that we scale down our contracts to an affordable level, but if there is no strategy at all for squad/team-building, we won't be going anywhere, except bobbing up and down like a yo-yo between Championship and League 1 at best.

What's the point of developing young players if they're off at the drop of a hat, like the embarrassing situation with the likes of Sterling and Bowler (now 19 years old for the record, with a princely seven appearances for Everton's U23's in two years)? Call me old-fashioned or stupid, but I don't want ANY of our (good) players going unless the offers really are astonishing, the player himself is desperate to leave, or there are other extenuating circumstances!
Last edited by stainrod's elbow on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Greyhound wrote:

But how long can we go on getting affordable replacements how many are there out there. The clubs traditional strategy worked, how many games did we get out of Sinclair, how many games did we get out of Ferdinand, Clive Allen, Seaman etc. There is already talk about selling Eze after only a few games. You can sell one or two a season but if everybody is up for sale that is not a strategy.