Ollie on the transfer window

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Ollie on the transfer window

Post by Rbee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Complete non story but here we go anyway.....

Ian Holloway has dropped a major hint into the future of the number of QPR stars, saying he has 'the power' in deciding their fate. The Hoops have a number of first team stars out of contract this summer, a list which includes the likes of Nedum Onuoha, Jack Robinson, James Perch, Jamie Mackie and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas. While the club are under pressure to cut their cloth according to comply with FFP, Holloway will be determined to build his squad in a way to move to club up the table next season.

Addressing his players' futures at the club, Holloway said: "Everybody’s out of contract and the good thing is I get the power when everybody’s out of contract. “If nobody’s out of contract then this lot (the players) can kill me. They can kill the manager. Again. It happens everywhere. Everybody’s killing the manager. “The power is in the wrong place in football these days, so what you have to do is get the power under your control for as long a period as you can and then the club might end up moving in the right direction. “They’re having to earn the right to get a contract here which is exactly as it should be. “They should be trying their heart out to play and do what I say, and then hopefully get offered a new deal from us.”

While a number of QPR's out of contract stars are not deemed first team regulars, the likes of Nedum Onuoha and Jack Robinson are key men for the Hoops, and Ollie admits that he may not be able to keep all of his senior pros.

He said: "I’ve got some really good senior pros here and I probably won’t be able to keep all of them, because the young lads are coming through so I’ve got to try to make spaces for them. “The contracts, they have to earn them. And I think they’re trying to. The higher up the table we get, the better we are so the more likely it is I might keep them.”

Get West London

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Ollie on the transfer window

Post by dm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:59 pm

I stopped reading after the first paragraph in which there's a suggestion JET is a first team star.

willesdenr

Post by willesdenr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Hate to say it but it does sound like Ollie waffle, even if it is a non story.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:04 pm

Sounds like a paranoiac IH script - the players can kill me etc. Or do said players really try to oust the manager by deliberately under-performing on the regular basis he suggests? (See the Chelsea-Mourinho debacle . . . which couldn't have happened to a nicer club/man.) :twisted:
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:02 am

He really does talk some utter flipping bollocks.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:26 pm

I’m an Ollie fan, so I guess I admittedly see everything through rose tinted specs, but I don’t see anything wrong with what he says.

He wants the manager to have the power. That sounds sensible.

He wants players to work hard to get a new contract and to want to play for the club- also sensible.

He wants to make way for younger players- something we all wanted.

He’s realistic about the fact we might lose some players due to financial restrictions. Nothing controversial there either.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:26 pm
I’m an Ollie fan, so I guess I admittedly see everything through rose tinted specs, but I don’t see anything wrong with what he says.

He wants players to work hard to get a new contract and to want to play for the club- also sensible.

He’s realistic about the fact we might lose some players due to financial restrictions. Nothing controversial there either.
The only problem with that is that the manager has no power if a player is out of contract or even in his last year. The player holds all the aces

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Sure, but that’s not Ollie’s fault. If there are players that have the club over a barrel because they have wage demands that we can’t match, then we have to let them go. If there are others that want to be at the club because they see us as a good opportunity, then the power is back in the hands of the manager.

I’ll be gutted if we lose Robinson and Onuoha (who I’ve been of in the past, but has been playing a blinder recently), but if we lose them because we can’t afford them or they’re too big for the club, or even if we lose players because they don’t buy into the manager’s ethos, then that’s ok really.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:46 pm
Sure, but that’s not Ollie’s fault. If there are players that have the club over a barrel because they have wage demands that we can’t match, then we have to let them go. If there are others that want to be at the club because they see us as a good opportunity, then the power is back in the hands of the manager.

I’ll be gutted if we lose Robinson and Onuoha (who I’ve been of in the past, but has been playing a blinder recently), but if we lose them because we can’t afford them or they’re too big for the club, or even if we lose players because they don’t buy into the manager’s ethos, then that’s ok really.
But they are the players who have not had offers from anywhere else. If agents see a better offer elsewhere then the managers only power is to try to equal or better whats on offer. Not having a go at Holloway it's just the nature of the game. The only real power a manager has is to drop a player he does not want we cannot afford that.

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 pm
stainesranger wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:26 pm

The only problem with that is that the manager has no power if a player is out of contract or even in his last year. The player holds all the aces
Exactly. Surely it is the players? If they all go we will be screwed because we cannot afford to replace them all.

The only way he has power is if everyone is so desperate to stay and play for us they jump though his hoops.

But that doesn't apply to our better players, who could go elsewhere easily and probably find a club higher up the league.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Don’t you take back control of your squad when you have a squad of players that all want to be there for the right reasons rather than players who are looking for a better deal elsewhere? If that means losing some of our senior pros, then so be it. If Robinson wants to stay (on an affordable wage) because he likes the look of what’s happening at the club, even better. We’ve tried punching above our weight with players and it turned out badly. If he thinks he can do better (and maybe he can), then we shouldn’t have him here anyway.

As Ollie says in the article, once we start climbing the league and getting better we’ll attract a better quality of player on our own merits and we won’t need to be punching above our weight any longer.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:43 pm

If Ned and Robbo want to chase money at another club that's up to them. Try and give them what they want but if its not enough then so be it. Lynch, Batiste and Hall will do for starters and perhaps we can bring in a young player from L1.

I'm more concerned about signing up Eze and Smyth on longer deals which wont be as much as Ned and Robbo will want, but the former will sell for more in a few years.

Get in another Aziz Ben Askar....

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:45 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm
Don’t you take back control of your squad when you have a squad of players that all want to be there for the right reasons rather than players who are looking for a better deal elsewhere? If that means losing some of our senior pros, then so be it. If Robinson wants to stay (on an affordable wage) because he likes the look of what’s happening at the club, even better. We’ve tried punching above our weight with players and it turned out badly. If he thinks he can do better (and maybe he can), then we shouldn’t have him here anyway.

As Ollie says in the article, once we start climbing the league and getting better we’ll attract a better quality of player on our own merits and we won’t need to be punching above our weight any longer.
What are the right reasons I don't know. Show me a player who would turn down a move for extra money. Players are employees not fans like us.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:45 pm
stainesranger wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm

What are the right reasons I don't know. Show me a player who would turn down a move for extra money. Players are employees not fans like us.
Ned might be tempted. I'm sure he's got the odd £5m in the bank and if his family are settled whats an extra £5k a week amongst friends? Robbo hasn't hit the big time yet so will likely chase the money and a bigger club I guess.