Well done Ollie

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Well done Ollie

Post by kernowhoop » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:01 am

I and a few others here have long believed that the squad that we had this season was good enough for a respectable finish. It was always a matter of making best use of the players and finding out how to do that. Whether by luck or judgement, that seems to have happened and I am especially pleased by what Furlong, Eze and Smyth are now doing. I watched the Fulham match on Sky and from the first few minutes, yesterday, I was fearful about the outcome - check out how often we gave the ball away in those early minutes. Early on, I think Luke Freeman alone gave the ball away three times. I put that down to the team being nervous. But, the big story is how this team is capable of fighting back. Not for the first time this season, they came back from a situation that looked very unlikely. We are not the finished article, but, there is a lot to be pleased about. Well done Ollie.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:07 am

222gers wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:08 pm
Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:32 pm
The second half today was brilliant; a pleasure to witness.

However, no coincidence that we’ve played significantly better since switching to a back four. Our MOTM today (Pavel) is not a wing-back - again, no surprise that him and Bidwell are playing well in their proper positions.

Great that it’s finally happened but why it took most of the season to occur is anyone’s guess.
I'd like to know why Holloway switched to a back four - did he finally listen to us (unlikely, to say the least), was it the departure of the defensive coach or Ramsey ? Or did the penny finally drop.
I have a strong suspicion that Chris Ramsey has played a big part in the change. Bar the Forest game when he first joined the 1st team set up, there has been a marked improvement in the attacking intent throughout the team. This was something we first saw when he was manager, IIRC we were the leading goalscorers for a while under him, and hopefully we will see the maturation of one of his academy goalscorers like Chay Tilt in the squad next season. As long as we can keep the defence on a steady keel, which there are signs of, we should be OK fr survival next season too.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 am

Ollie mentioned that the team hadn't got to grips with the pressing element which they had planned for this game, and that it settled down second half - the game seemed to support this.

Ollie isn't necessarily your moody considered footballing guru but if he is working the transition through and has support and input from the likes of Chris Ramsay to help, then that is fine by me - straightforward bloke and doesn't always convert his thoughts as eloquently but, appears to have Rangers at heart, understands what has made the club tick in the past and willing to work with the future of bringing young lads through.

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:00 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:07 am

I have a strong suspicion that Chris Ramsey has played a big part in the change. Bar the Forest game when he first joined the 1st team set up, there has been a marked improvement in the attacking intent throughout the team.
Yes, because every time we play badly it's entirely and only the managers fault, and when we play well it's obviously completely down to someone else advising him. Except for the games where he advised him and that didn't work.

I have a strong suspicion that Ollie has become a better manager and has used half a season to weed out some dross, try out some new, young, hungry players and a few positional changes, and settle on something that actually translates from the training ground to matchday. Bit like Alex Ferguson did when he took a couple of seasons to get Manchester United going. Or was that because someone gave him some advice after 50 matches?
Locum meum praecepta mea

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:49 am

DG wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:00 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:07 am

I have a strong suspicion that Chris Ramsey has played a big part in the change. Bar the Forest game when he first joined the 1st team set up, there has been a marked improvement in the attacking intent throughout the team.
Yes, because every time we play badly it's entirely and only the managers fault, and when we play well it's obviously completely down to someone else advising him. Except for the games where he advised him and that didn't work.

I have a strong suspicion that Ollie has become a better manager and has used half a season to weed out some dross, try out some new, young, hungry players and a few positional changes, and settle on something that actually translates from the training ground to matchday. Bit like Alex Ferguson did when he took a couple of seasons to get Manchester United going. Or was that because someone gave him some advice after 50 matches?
It is similar to the effects we saw on the team when Schteve came to coach us under Harry. I have watched quite a number of U23's games on the offish and the way they play is very similar to what I have been watching since the Derby match, even the 1st 20 minutes of the Forest game saw some of those changes but you could see the communications issues that some of the players like Bidwell were having and so it transpired as the game went on, Olls has been steadfast to the point of stubbornness over implementing his wingback system and so it is quite feasible that CR has had a long chat with him in private and persuaded him to change things up a bit. IH is still the one that has got the players fit and all singing off the same hymn sheet so I am not trying to slag him off, merely pointing out that that the obvious sea change to a more attacking team, and the introduction of some of the youngsters who have been used to playing it in the academy, is as a direct result of getting CR involved n the first team set up. It's hardly as though you and many others on here haven't been praising the work he has done in our other squads is it? why shouldn't he have had a positive impact on the first team? As you are well aware, I generally have a very positive opinion on the team, and the players individually, so I am a little nonplussed to see you dig me out for pointing out something that is quite obvious to anyone who follows QPR.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:13 am

Ramsey again already. I like him and no doubt he's advised Ollie on the young players strengths etc. but you can't compare him with McLaren. Ollie don't take advice from anyone regarding tactics.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:18 am

Montag wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:13 am
Ramsey again already. I like him and no doubt he's advised Ollie on the young players strengths etc. but you can't compare him with McLaren. Ollie don't take advice from anyone regarding tactics.
But how do you know Ollie doesn't take advice? Admittedly, we don't know he does but at least circumstantial evidence suggests he may have.

Not only so but it would be a complete waste of time to have people like Ramsay and others in an assistant role if Ollie refused to listen to them. All football managers have assistants.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:57 am

dm wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 am
old pauline wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am
Donn't get the criticism myself. Ollie has done very well. The 5 at the back was necessary to change to and accommodate the 3 in midfield. It worked well to start with but was then severely impaired by our injury crisis in defence.

I's be interested to know how many on here would have suggested 4 at the back with a three man midfield core, one wide player and an U.23 player off Matt Smith up front. No-one else on here would have suggested that so I don't see why Ollie should be expected to come up with it from the outset.
Well in fairness many wanted the wingback system to change but I agree that Ollie is getting unwarranted criticism.
Wozleccio should have been able to adapt to a wingback better than he did and fair dos for giving him time to adjust. But Budwell just doesnt have the tools to do it, with a lack of pace. He's good LB but no WB. Square pegs in round holes comes to mind. Surely its better to play to the entire teams strength and if that means we cant use all our midfield talent then sell one of them, we could do with the cash afterall.

I'm not criticising Olly though, hes the manager and as a pro he know more about footie than I do.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Thought Bids had another strong game yesterday.

If Ollie is taking advice from within the coaching staff surely that is a positive for a manager who can identify something good, even if it is not his idea.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Olly has had plenty of brick-bat's since he came back - he is fully deserving of the praise coming his way.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 pm

If Ollie is taking advice from within the coaching staff surely that is a positive for a manager who can identify something good, even if it is not his idea.
Hes like a new plsyer with four at the back. I was asked to play WB a few times and its hard work and if you lose possession high up the pitcb its very difficult to get back into pisition in time. I never strayed too far beyond the half way line and was a solid LB and was then able to cut accros if the CBs got into trouble too. Horrible role WB!!

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:59 pm

I’m glad Ollie is getting some (deserved) praise.

There seems to be a feeling amongst some supporters that he’s tactically inept and clueless. But thought he showed yesterday that he’s no idiot. He got that absolutely spot on.

We should have beaten them. Amazing spirit from us though, fans included. So proud.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:03 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:26 pm
Devonranger wrote:

Hes like a new plsyer with four at the back. I was asked to play WB a few times and its hard work and if you lose possession high up the pitcb its very difficult to get back into pisition in time. I never strayed too far beyond the half way line and was a solid LB and was then able to cut accros if the CBs got into trouble too. Horrible role WB!!
I remember the WB system when 'arry and 'oddle were in charge here....

Eventually super Glenn told 'arry we didn't have the personal to be able to do it but not until we sold a pretty solid RB to Leicester....

Bids is a solid LB and Pawel a solid right winger.....

Just a shame it took 30 odd games for that Eureka moment for whoever devised our tactics to realise this...
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:03 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:26 pm
Devonranger wrote:

I remember the WB system when 'arry and 'oddle were in charge here....

Eventually super Glenn told 'arry we didn't have the personal to be able to do it but not until we sold a pretty solid RB to Leicester....

Bids is a solid LB and Pawel a solid right winger.....

Just a shame it took 30 odd games for that Eureka moment for whoever devised our tactics to realise this...
Furlong and Smyth being ready has helped rebalance the team.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Another really big difference the past few weeks has been the absense of the individual defensive mistakes that always seemed to lead to opposition goals. We practically started matches 1-0 down.
Still not a lot of clean sheets but the defensive horror shows seem to have been tackled for now.
Well done team and staff, some very promising displays have come our way!