Just Back On The Island... Few Thoughts

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Just Back On The Island... Few Thoughts

Post by SM » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 am

Firstly, a huge relief for me... I managed to catch the last ferry back tonight with a mere 4 minutes to spare. With work in the morning, I can’t express how relieved I am at the time of writing!

It was a decent game tonight in W12. QPR by far the better side, had the lions share of possession without really hurting them.

Matt Smith saw a sliced effort hit the bar, and we were looking very comfortable.

In typical QPR fashion, Derby go down the other end and score with their first attack on goal completely against the run of play.

Smithies made a superb save in the second half when it looked for the world that one of the Derby players would poke home into the empty net.

Thought we had a very strong penalty appeal for a foul on Matt Smith (defenders have got away with murder against him all season!).

Smythe was the best player on the pitch, bar none. Absolutely ran them ragged. Derby resulted to just hacking him down at every opportunity as the game went on.

Washington did absolutely nothing. Replaced by Eze who did more in 5 minutes than I’ve seen from CW for weeks. Very composed and for want of a better word ‘cool’ on the ball. It’s clear this kid is exceptionally talented.

Furlong had a very strong game at RB.

Luongo scored a cracking header - but thought he was quite poor overall.

Derby to me looked very average. Point the least we deserved.

Roll on Saturday...
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Just Back On The Island... Few Thoughts

Post by deadendjob » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:34 am

Thanks for the review SM. Glad you got your boat back.

Highlights here (works for those overseas).

Virginia_R

Post by Virginia_R » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 am

Agree with SM's report. A few things to add:

* It's the end of the road for Washington. Stuck out on the left of a front three, he basically was a spare linesman for all the good he did. The contrast with Smyth was telling. His confidence looks completely shot, and I think it's best for us and him if he departs this summer - I wouldn't play him again this season.

* Smyth had an absolute stormer. Terrier like, chasing and winning balls up front, switching across the front three - he showed Washington how it should be done. Skillful and a ton of pace: if you play 4-3-3 as per last night, just goes to show that pace and technical/tactical flexibility is vital to making it work. Derby couldn't handle him, and resorted to hacking him down.

* Eze: there's definitely something exciting about the lad. Like Smyth, was direct and ran/took on players - and Derby were fearful of him when he did. The physique, the style he takes people on/tries to direct play and the way he looks up when he has the ball..... he reminds me a little of a young Ruud Gullit. Excited to see how he progresses.

* Mass, despite the goal, and Freeman didn't have the best of games. Tired, and it shows.

* Lynch nearly made wrote himself into QPR folklore, given that he came on as a centre forward late on.... and nearly scored the winner when 1 on 1 with Carson.

* Best bit of the night was both sides singing songs of praise for Keogh: us taking the piss, the Rams fans trying to stand up for him. The poor sod looked like he wanted the ground to open up under him. "Richard Keogh, he's one of us!"

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 am

I rather like Dave Mc's name for Smyth - "he's a mini Ainsworth".

nha1404

Post by nha1404 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:48 am

Negative for me was the failure to respond to how the game unfolded...

19 minutes in, their left back had been booked, given away a free kick almost immediately after and was clearly in all sorts of trouble with Smyth.

At that point, the team should have been capitalising on that for 5-10 minutes... get the ball out wide to Smyth, switch him and Freeman to unsettle the guy a bit more... at the very least you would expect him to have to make at least 1 decision in that point to either make a tackle or let a player past him. Instead we have him 70 minutes off...

I do think we have the makings of a good side... desperately need a striker and I some slight improvements at the back to give Scowen, Freeman and Luongo the support to run teams ragged in midfield - they looked knackered after a season where they've probably had to carry too much responsibility to defend and attack... Also need a goalscorer/striker who wants the ball to feet as the long ball stuff is so limited in its effectiveness - especially when you don't properly set up the team for it.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:10 am

deadendjob wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:34 am
Thanks for the review SM. Glad you got your boat back.

Highlights here (works for those overseas).
Thanks for the highlights link deadend.

I forgot to mention that Lynch chance at the end... Would have been some celebration had he put it past the keeper. Especially considering the Keogh slip, again!

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 am

Virginia_R wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 am
Agree with SM's report. A few things to add:

* It's the end of the road for Washington. Stuck out on the left of a front three, he basically was a spare linesman for all the good he did. The contrast with Smyth was telling. His confidence looks completely shot, and I think it's best for us and him if he departs this summer - I wouldn't play him again this season.
I couldn’t agree more Virginia.

I find Washington incredibly frustrating, and yesterday was the typical kind of performance that I’ve came to expect from him. Anonymous.

He scores the odd goal, and misses an absolute bucketload in the process.

His confidence is shot to pieces, if he believed in himself I think he could be a half decent player. But he’s been given a fair chance and it’s not happening. As you said, the contrast between him and Smythe / Eze told you everything that you need to know.

I just hope we get a decent figure for him when we no doubt look to sell. Of all the strikers we have on our books, he would be right at the bottom of the pecking order for me. For his faults, at least Mackie gives you a bit of a presence and fight up front.