Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Derby County

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Derby County

Post by beaglebum » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:45 pm
Good that we got the point, but giving a head start keeps the questions about Holloway coming.

By the way Millwall (who have a smaller budget than us) have just won their 5th away game
on the spin.
I'm not asking for heads to roll right now but we do have a managerial problem.
Just s couple of things to mention, Millwalls 5 away wins have been against Hull, birham, Bolton, reading and Leeds. 4 relegation threatened teams. Have also picked up pts against Sunderland and Sweds too. So their good run just happens to coincide with a run of games against poor teams. Yes they still have to win them but wins breed confidence so it's worked well for them.

Secondly, can you really blame Holloway for the players not taking their 21 attempts on goal? It's not that we deliberately give teams a goal head start it's just other teams have better clinical finishers than us, so as a result we're more likely to concede first than score. I'm bored with all this Holloway slating now. Let's just all get behind the team.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm

beaglebum wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Good that we got the point, but giving a head start keeps the questions about Holloway coming.

By the way Millwall (who have a smaller budget than us) have just won their 5th away game
on the spin.
Just s couple of things to mention, Millwalls 5 away wins have been against Hull, birham, Bolton, reading and Leeds. 4 relegation threatened teams. Have also picked up pts against Sunderland and Sweds too. So their good run just happens to coincide with a run of games against poor teams. Yes they still have to win them but wins breed confidence so it's worked well for them.

Secondly, can you really blame Holloway for the players not taking their 21 attempts on goal? It's not that we deliberately give teams a goal head start it's just other teams have better clinical finishers than us, so as a result we're more likely to concede first than score. I'm bored with all this Holloway slating now. Let's just all get behind the team.
Even if I don't mention Holloway, Millwall have a lesser spend than us and are 12 points ahead
in the league. 21 attempts on goal points to banjo and cows-arse territory which means
something ain't working.
Staff Benda Bilili

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm
beaglebum wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:

on the spin.

Even if I don't mention Holloway, Millwall have a lesser spend than us and are 12 points ahead
in the league. 21 attempts on goal points to banjo and cows-arse territory which means
something ain't working.
We should now leave that until the summer. Washington, Mackie and Sylla will be on their way. We know the shortcomings but cant do anything about it now. Let's us get the season done and adjust in the summer

RType
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by RType » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:14 am

Andy_N19 wrote:

on the spin.
Holloway recognised that we have struggled against 4-2-3-1, changed the formation and we dominated possession and chances created against a good team. This is a manager consistently accused of tactitally not up to it. I'm not quite sure what else you want him to do? Can't blame him for the missed chances.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 am

Good and deserved point against one of the top teams in the division. Comparisons with Wall are pointless - they obviously have a bit more quality than we do... hence their results. IH is doing all he can with what he has available. Mass with a header too 8)

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 am

Damien wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 am
Mass with a header too 8)
From what I could make out it was a training ground move which is good to see. Freeman made a little sign to Mass and he timed his move well.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 am

Good to hear players talking on the pitch last night and Ned being called 'Chief' by the other players. I thought was only fans nickname.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 am

Damien wrote:
Good and deserved point against one of the top teams in the division. Comparisons with Wall are pointless - they obviously have a bit more quality than we do... hence their results. IH is doing all he can with what he has available. Mass with a header too 8)
It was indeed a good and thoroughly deserved point, and Smyth and Eze looked very promising indeed.

However I think comparisons with Millwall are entirely relevant. An arguably smaller club with an almost certainly smaller budget in their first season back in this division. If they do have a bit more quality (and I don't think they do), we should be asking ourselves why.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:30 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 am
Damien wrote:
It was indeed a good and thoroughly deserved point, and Smyth and Eze looked very promising indeed.

However I think comparisons with Millwall are entirely relevant. An arguably smaller club with an almost certainly smaller budget in their first season back in this division. If they do have a bit more quality (and I don't think they do), we should be asking ourselves why.
But a more stable squad and they haven't had to deal with our dead wood and existing premiership contracts. A fair comparison will be next season.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:15 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 pm
QPR-NI wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm
We're creating chances, just not able to convert.
Our much vaunted strikeforce of Smith, Washington and Sylla( I know injured) do it again!

Well done Massimo :D
Who claimed our strike force to be "much vaunted"?

We battered Derby in the second half, unlucky not to win. If Holloway gets two or three quality additions there is no reason we couldn't have a tilt at the playoffs next season.
With our cack-handed recruitment over the past couple of seasons, you think we can actually get
a couple of competent forward men?
Do you feel that Smyth and Scowen , to name but two , to be "cack handed " appointments?

Do you ever have anything positive to contribute?

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Fair play to Ollie for going 4 at the back as Derby only really played Nugent up front. Three central defenders would have been a waste last night. I hope he does his research equally assiduously on our remaining opponents and similarly goes 4 at the back if they only have one out and out striker.

David Nugent was very poor. I remember, not so long ago, people on here saying he would be good for us, that's the type of player we should be going for, that's what sets us aside from other teams blah, blah, blah.

The best and three most exciting players on the park (Eze, Smyth and Kasey Palmer) were all up and coming.

Massive kudos to whoever scouted and coached Paul Smyth. He is an absolute gem.
Come on you Sooopa ........

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm

old pauline wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:22 pm
The best and three most exciting players on the park (Eze, Smyth and Kasey Palmer) were all up and coming.

Massive kudos to whoever scouted and coached Paul Smyth. He is an absolute gem.
We need to get Smyth and Eze on longer term contracts to avoid them snatched off us by other teams for buttons based on their ages. It would be heart breaking to see them leave in a Bowler scenario.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Eze signed a 3 and a half year deal in Jan-17. Smyth is contracted until the summer of 2019.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:20 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:14 pm
Eze signed a 3 and a half year deal in Jan-17. Smyth is contracted until the summer of 2019.
Well Smyth needs to sign a new one before he leaves next summer for free, or we accept a token payment this summer if his Agents wants to move him on.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:39 pm

dm wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 am
Damien wrote:
Mass with a header too 8)
From what I could make out it was a training ground move which is good to see. Freeman made a little sign to Mass and he timed his move well.
I was impressed by how much power Luongo got on the header, given the ball was played in fairly delicately.