Garry Monk

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Garry Monk

Post by Devonranger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:06 pm

In at Birmingham as expected.

Won't have quite the same squads as Leeds and Boro - interested to see how he gets on.

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Garry Monk

Post by Barry » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 am

38 years old and into his 4th managerial job already. He really needs this one to work out.

Apart from one excellent season at Swansea I’d say his managerial career has been completely unremarkable.
QPR & Ireland

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 am

Barry wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 am
38 years old and into his 4th managerial job already. He really needs this one to work out.

Apart from one excellent season at Swansea I’d say his managerial career has been completely unremarkable.

Long may it continue along it's unremarkable path.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 am

Barry wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 am

Sacked at Swansea when in 15th hardly a disgrace considering they’re on there 4th Manager since he left.

Finished 7th with Leeds outside the playoffs on goal difference (granted they looked certain for the playoffs & somehow blew it) but consediring the nut job he was working under it was a very respectable season for Leeds.

Middboro sacked him after a victory sitting 3 points outside the playoffs, quite remarkable if you ask me.

Currently a lot worse out there plying there trade including the fella incharge at W12.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 am

Indeed,
I was more/also interested in the Cotterill angle, after we had a much lauded dose of him under Redknapp. His tenure with us was heralded by Redknapp as I recall but he lost my support when previously talking about himself 3rd person singular....

A few toes dipped in the Blue-nose message boards and it's pretty clear they disliked him after about 3 games !! Didn't take long!

You'll recall Redknapp have been given what? £14m at the end of last season, bought 10-12 players one of whom's on £30K+ a week.

I'm truly amazed that Redknapp's stock is held so high after all the financial disaster clubs he's managed. You'd think with the history and experience any self respecting professional manager would either walk away or tell an owner " you don't want to do that" even if it wasn't driven by him.

As for Monk, I thought his stock was high at Swansea and whilst at Leeds, or indeed Middlesborough his trajectory, whilst a little flatter, was still rising. Something not quite right there methinks. But maybe he's found his level. If he pulls them out of this fire it'll do his career no harm at all.

The Championship is a horrible lottery of trying to find the right mix every time....be careful what you wish for... naughty
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:29 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 am
Currently a lot worse out there plying there trade including the fella incharge at W12.
What complete and utter rubbish. How can you say that?

Ollie has several promotions on his CV, Monk has bugger and all on his.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm currently reading a book called 'Living on a Volcano' about Football League Management. It has chapters on Ollie, Monk and numerous others including Boothroyd, Derry, Ainsworth, Ling, Martinez and Rodgers. Its quite an interesting book, if a little repetitive.

Anyway, in it Monk comes across as well organised but not particularly ground breaking while Ollie is a lot more innovative.

I think it takes a bit of a character to turn round a relegation threatened team and I'd tip Monk to fail to do that.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm

I am no football expert as most of you probably realise :D so I really don't know if

1. Ollie is currently doing a good job with one arm tied behind his back.

2. Ollie is currently doing a bad job with one arm tied behind his back.

I suspect it's somewhere in the middle but with one arm tied behind his back. What I do know is that Ollie doesn't send his team out to lose 5-2 at home.

I believe you need a little luck in football. For a successful season everything has to come together, owners, managers, players. Everyone getting along, understanding each other, all those different personalities getting the job done. For that to happen you do need a bit of luck. How many times have we seen a manager enjoy great success at a club but his next appointment be a disaster. He doesn't become a bad manager overnight but at his new club the mix of people, personalities, players isn't working. The job is far more difficult today with the influx of foreign players and coaches.

Therefore I think a manager really does need time at a club to be given a fair chance. It took Alex Ferguson a long time to get things right at United but he also put in the hours.

Also you never know whats going on behind the scenes at a club. Look at your own workplace, the feuds, power struggles and whispered conversations. QPR won't be any different. Many of you will remember my hatred of Mark Hughes and what he did to our club. However recently I had a long conversation with a well respected journalist about that time and suffice to say I don't hate Hughes so much now but Tony Fernandes has gone down in my estimation.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:29 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 am
What complete and utter rubbish. How can you say that?

Ollie has several promotions on his CV, Monk has bugger and all on his.
Ollie also has three relegations on his CV, Monk has bugger and all on his.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:25 pm

To be fair to Monk you could say that he is still untested as a Football Manager. His career thus far has been very stop start.

But to insinuate that he is a far better manager than Holloway is one of the most ridiculous things you have ever come out with.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:25 pm
To be fair to Monk you could say that he is still untested as a Football Manager. His career thus far has been very stop start.

But to insinuate that he is a far better manager than Holloway is one of the most ridiculous things you have ever come out with.
Haha are you sure about that :D

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:08 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:01 pm
Rbee wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Haha are you sure about that :D
:lol: :D :lol:

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm
I am no football expert as most of you probably realise :D so I really don't know if

1. Ollie is currently doing a good job with one arm tied behind his back.

2. Ollie is currently doing a bad job with one arm tied behind his back.

I suspect it's somewhere in the middle but with one arm tied behind his back. What I do know is that Ollie doesn't send his team out to lose 5-2 at home.

I believe you need a little luck in football. For a successful season everything has to come together, owners, managers, players. Everyone getting along, understanding each other, all those different personalities getting the job done. For that to happen you do need a bit of luck. How many times have we seen a manager enjoy great success at a club but his next appointment be a disaster. He doesn't become a bad manager overnight but at his new club the mix of people, personalities, players isn't working. The job is far more difficult today with the influx of foreign players and coaches.

Therefore I think a manager really does need time at a club to be given a fair chance. It took Alex Ferguson a long time to get things right at United but he also put in the hours.

Also you never know whats going on behind the scenes at a club. Look at your own workplace, the feuds, power struggles and whispered conversations. QPR won't be any different. Many of you will remember my hatred of Mark Hughes and what he did to our club. However recently I had a long conversation with a well respected journalist about that time and suffice to say I don't hate Hughes so much now but Tony Fernandes has gone down in my estimation.
What manager does? The fact is, however well-/ill-prepared we might have been, we DID lose 2-5 to an average side at best on our own patch, so the proof of the pudding . . .

I think Ollie's doing an OK-ish job, but maybe with more of an emphasis on the 'ish' right now.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:28 pm

My point / opinion on the 2-5 was that it was more down to the players than the manager.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:28 pm
My point / opinion on the 2-5 was that it was more down to the players than the manager.
I often wonder what goes on in the players' minds. I hope they're not getting fed up with Holloway's formation, they are pros and are supposed to do what they are paid for. If they lose heart we could be in for a bumpy end of season. We'll see in the next five days.