Compared with last year?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Compared with last year?

Post by kernowhoop » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:48 am

In 2016-2017, we finished like this: P46,W15,D8,L23,F52,A66,GD-14,Pts53

It put us in 18th place, three points above Blackburn, who were relegated in 22nd place.

I have looked at the 'points per game'. Last year, we managed 1.152 per game. This year, so far, we are averaging 1.147.

We have 12 games remaining. If we continue picking up points at the current average rate, we shall end up with 52 or 53 points.

That may be 'enough' in 2017-2018, but, it does not feel good. Will we do better than that?
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Compared with last year?

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 am

There are a lot of team below us that can't buy a win at the moment. Another three wins and two draws will probably see us safe. Especially if the wins are home to Sunderland, Sheffield Wed, Brum and we pick up draws away to Hull and Reading.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:12 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 am
There are a lot of team below us that can't buy a win at the moment. Another three wins and two draws will probably see us safe. Especially if the wins are home to Sunderland, Sheffield Wed, Brum and we pick up draws away to Hull and Reading.
I agree that we have probably done enough for this season.
Some real progression next season must be the aim otherwise we could be in for a long period of lower mid-table mediocrity with an annual flirtation with relegation.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:58 am

I think it will be much the same next season. I would expect Freeman, Louongo, Smithies, Washington, Syĺla and Wzslelekooo will be sold and other going at the end of their contracts. Manning, Goss, Eze, Smyth etc will play more.

It will be a new team next season and I think if we get close to 60 points it will be progress especially alongside a reduced budget.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:04 pm

If all those players are sold then avoiding relegation would be a major success in my eyes.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:04 pm
If all those players are sold then avoiding relegation would be a major success in my eyes.
The last three dont contribute. We already have replacements lined up for the other three, they may not as good but not far off. I'm sure there'll be others coming in. But I agree to a point, it will be a tough season but I still think, perhas hope, that 50-60 point is achievable and we'll stay up.

It's going to be a very busy summer in the transfer market.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:10 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
The last three dont contribute. We already have replacements lined up for the other three, they may not as good but not far off. I'm sure there'll be others coming in. But I agree to a point, it will be a tough season but I still think, perhas hope, that 50-60 point is achievable and we'll stay up.

Not being funny, but how do you know?
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Re player sales, people seem to be overlooking this depends on suitable offers being received, and the player(s) actually wanting to leave. Freeman, fairly clearly, would be a major loss, and probably difficult to replace. If Luongo leaves, I'd be disappointed as I think he can better in a Rangers shirt. Smithies' departure would almost certainly have a major impact on our prospects in 2018/19. Ollie, Hoos and Sir Les need to proceed with great care, and I only hope one or two decent targets are already in Penrice's sights.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:16 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

I dont.
But it has been stated that we continue to be in breach of FFP aside from the season when we got promoted. Surely the whole point of investing in youth is to play them and all have had a taste of the first team and seem good enough. I can't see us letting our other playets contracts being wound down and we'll cash in to balance the books. Apart from the young lads I hope we have our eyes on other players whose contract are nearly ending and can be picked up cheaply. I'm sure Penrice will bring in some decent players too.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Think the club need to remember that holding on to Charlie Austin and Matt Phillips saw us lose out value wise. Balanced out without not weakening the team too much.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:54 pm

Hopefully the accounts will be published shortly so we can see what it is we have to do to remain compliant but with dwindling S/T sales and slightly lower home attendances I fear any outgoings will be in support of balancing the books and an evermore demanding reliance on youth team and very cheap freebies meaning the football will suffer even more. The quicker the all purpose stadium gets built the more chance we have of QPR dragging themselves out of this mire. IMO.
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Out of contract players Ned, Perch and Robinson. Plus a few more who don't feature.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/queens-pa ... eJahr/2018

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:54 pm
Hopefully the accounts will be published shortly so we can see what it is we have to do to remain compliant but with dwindling S/T sales and slightly lower home attendances I far any outgoings will be in support of balancing the books and an evermore demanding reliance on youth team and very cheap freebies meaning the football will suffer even more. The quicker the all purpose stadium gets built the more chance we have of QPR dragging themselves out of this mire. IMO.
Although I'm happy at LR with all its faults, it does look as if moving to the new stadium is our only hope. The cost of building doesn't figure in FFP so we're OK in that regard. I don't know what our attendances would be but as you say, an all purpose stadium would, hopefully, bring in some non- football revenue. Of course all this is years away and the FFP we are told may be payable in a year or so. It's a vicious circle. We're down to gates of 12 thousand or so apart from the odd game against the bigger side in the Championship and while we are playing the sort of football we see at the moment, it's not really likely to increase. As has been mentioned in other threads, our support is getting older and some may see this as time to cease their support. Hope not of course.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:54 pm
Hopefully the accounts will be published shortly so we can see what it is we have to do to remain compliant but with dwindling S/T sales and slightly lower home attendances I fear any outgoings will be in support of balancing the books and an evermore demanding reliance on youth team and very cheap freebies meaning the football will suffer even more. The quicker the all purpose stadium gets built the more chance we have of QPR dragging themselves out of this mire. IMO.
nailonhead

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:38 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Pretty sure there was an article/quote from Les recently stating we were going to have a big transfer window.