Calm

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Thetford ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Calm

Post by Thetford ranger » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:42 am

Has everyone calmed down yet?
I know it is frustrating when we lose , play badly, get made to look like school boys playing against men, outclassed.

We do need to remember though that we have a very small budget as previous Managers have wasted funds available to them or been ill advised .

What I do see is a club trying to get back to its roots and building themselves up from the ground if you take a step back and look at the clubs who are in the premiership ie
Watford , Burnley, Leicester,Bournemouth,Southampton
They have all been through this process it’s worked for them in the long term,
It’s getting a bit boring with Holloway out how about let’s stick together get behind the team make Loftus Road intimidating to the opposition, I see the Holloway out almost every Saturday honestly who is going to come in work on a league 1 budget bring youth through and has a magic wand to play the correct tactics every week regardsless of what players are fit or playing well maybe not mature enough
To me we have the best man for the job you can see he cares for the club and has the best interests at heart.

Stay Calm and Support our wonderful club wherever and whatever

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Calm

Post by stainesranger » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Couldn’t agree more. Stability is key at this stage.

sohamranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by sohamranger » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Agreed.. already got my tickets for the Villa game.
Olly to the end of the season for me..then look at our options and see who is available.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 pm

If Ollys contract extends to the summer of 2019 he wont be leaving.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Thetford ranger wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:42 am
I know it is frustrating when we lose , play badly, get made to look like school boys playing against men, outclassed.

We do need to remember though that we have a very small budget as previous Managers have wasted funds available to them or been ill advised .

What I do see is a club trying to get back to its roots and building themselves up from the ground if you take a step back and look at the clubs who are in the premiership ie
It’s getting a bit boring with Holloway out how about let’s stick together get behind the team make Loftus Road intimidating to the opposition, I see the Holloway out almost every Saturday honestly who is going to come in work on a league 1 budget bring youth through and has a magic wand to play the correct tactics every week regardsless of what players are fit or playing well maybe not mature enough
To me we have the best man for the job you can see he cares for the club and has the best interests at heart.

aniclap aniclap aniclap

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:06 pm

Thetford ranger wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that we've got "a very small budget" and it's certainly not a League One budget. Show me a L1 club that is getting £10M of parachute money a season. Unconvinced that caring for the club makes him the best man for the job either. The argument that nobody could do a better job is as skewed as the notion that anybody could.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:15 pm

Agree with most of that. It's a bit like scraping around the bottom of the Premier every season & that does get tiring after a while. We may still have to go into L1 to truly regroup though. Jury is still out for me with Olly - but I think he's doing OKish with what he has(which isn't much TBH). I'm a bit concerned that the players aren't listening to his instructions or are too dim to carry them out. Come on U R's.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 pm
If Ollys contract extends to the summer of 2019 he wont be leaving.
I don't think Bidwell can stand another season and a quarter of covering the entire left side of the pitch on his own every week.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:46 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:06 pm
Thetford ranger wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that we've got "a very small budget" and it's certainly not a League One budget. Show me a L1 club that is getting £10M of parachute money a season. Unconvinced that caring for the club makes him the best man for the job either. The argument that nobody could do a better job is as skewed as the notion that anybody could.
This exactly. Huddersfield picked up a manager from Bundesliga 2 and were promoted the following season. They had a smaller budget than us, sold and bought sensibly and employed a better manager. To say Olly is the 'best man for the job' is just bias.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm

They also spent heavily on a lot of loanees, don't let's forget that too.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm
It certainly shouldn't be overlooked. That said, i'd like to see us look across Europe for our next manager. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount across the English leagues. Realistically even with the limitations we have, i don't think Holloway has got this team playing to it's full potential. I don't see the need to remove him now but i don't think he's likely to take us forward.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:45 pm

My concern with regard to Olly is this ...

In November we lost 4-0 at the City Ground. We played Olly's tried, tested and mostly failing system of using wing backs. Forest countered this easily, drawing the wing backs forward, using the space behind them, and making the most of the gaps in the middle created by central defenders moving out to cover the missing wing back. it was an object lesson in we didn't (still don't) have the players with the pace, skill, or awareness to play that system. Clearly Ian Holloway learnt nothing that November afternoon, because we saw a carbon copy yesterday. it maybe that Forest had the players to nullify our wing back system, hence us getting our bottoms spanked twice by them. Whatever, to try and go toe to toe with them using the same tactics and mostly the same personnel showed a managerial stubbornness, naivety, and arrogance by our manager. Of course most football manager's have those traits (God knows why - is it part of the UEFA coaching manual?) In Ian Holloway's case, those aspects are not endearing, and it feels like every week he is digging himself further into the hole.

A simple rule in management is .. if something is not working, review, analyse and make changes. Thirty four games into this season, and with two tepid cup exits as well, there is no sign of any review, analysis, learning and certainly no changes.

I would love Ian Holloway to succeed as QPR manager, but I increasingly think that is beyond him. Hopefully, there are three clubs who will finish with less points than us, but that 9 point cushion feels fragile at the moment as we go into games against Villa and Derby. Sunderland could be a crucial 6 pointer!

I don't see any point in sacking Holloway now, but I really think he needs to show his managerial ability over the next 12 games, because if he doesn't I think he will need to be replaced in the summer.

As for his love of QPR ... I love QPR, and have 50 years of support to demonstrate it, but that is hardly grounds to give me the manager's job.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:32 pm

I agree with much of that though I'd say that there is a way forward with Ollie's system but that it didn't work with the personnel yesterday, Also, I think Ollie has created a reasonable midfield and he is doing the best he can up front if, as we are led to believe, we couldn't get anyone in before 31.01. He did get it wrong yesterday but he might have been missing Curtis Fleming.
Come on you Sooopa ........

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:43 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:45 pm
My concern with regard to Olly is this ...

In November we lost 4-0 at the City Ground. We played Olly's tried, tested and mostly failing system of using wing backs. Forest countered this easily, drawing the wing backs forward, using the space behind them, and making the most of the gaps in the middle created by central defenders moving out to cover the missing wing back. it was an object lesson in we didn't (still don't) have the players with the pace, skill, or awareness to play that system. Clearly Ian Holloway learnt nothing that November afternoon, because we saw a carbon copy yesterday. it maybe that Forest had the players to nullify our wing back system, hence us getting our bottoms spanked twice by them. Whatever, to try and go toe to toe with them using the same tactics and mostly the same personnel showed a managerial stubbornness, naivety, and arrogance by our manager.
While I wouldn't disagree with the general thrust of your post, it was a very different Forest team with a different manager and a different style yesterday, compared to the one that thrashed us back in November. Only Ben Osborn started both games for them.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm
Do you have any links around the 'spending heavily?' Not having a go just curious.
Also, if we don't have the financial means to purchase players, we should be utilizing the loan market a lot more than we have.