Freeman and the midfield

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Freeman and the midfield

Post by T-Block » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Lots of good performances again, but went with a coach friend of mine again and he had another look at Freeman.
Couple of points worth testing out in subsequent games
1.Is Freeman a very Head down player.Basically is he holding on to the ball too long because he is not looking up for an early pass?Watch how long he takes to look up-thats why he dribbles so much.Can he be improved?He has my respect but he is still not Faurlin.
2.Scowen is getting tired at 70 minutes.Beware of an injury.Someone check his stats
3.Something new was happening to the midfield.Did anyone notice how our midfield had runners moving /running in behind the Bolton back-line.
Now this could have been a way of playing against a defensive 10 men.Both Scowen and luongo were trying it.It creates space on the wings for the other winger to get behind and get a cross in.
4.Smyth: very very encouraging.I hope he plays against Sheffield Utd.Early days, but a suggestion put him up against Terry,as I believe we are playing Aston Villa soon.Can we isolate Terry with Smyth running at him? I would enjoy that.
5.Smithies: bloddy hell how good was that
6.Onuhua was good again.
7.Smith should score a lot of goals.Work on heading down.But really how strong are you?
8.Eze:ok fantastic technical control but appears to play in slow motion-will he get caught on the ball?

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Freeman and the midfield

Post by old pauline » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 pm

My view from the half-way line:

1.That's the type of player Freeman is. A dribbler. He's not a one toucher. Chris Waddle, John Robertson and Lee Trundle were probably guilty of keeping their heads down but if you want to go past a player I'd suggest its probably best to keep your eyes focussed on the ball.
2.Don't think its a major issue and he has played 90 minute games three or four days in succession on a number of times this season (i.e I thought he'd be rested for the Cups and in midweek, but no, he is obviously deemed fit enough)
3.I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it out. I did however think that Ollie got his tactics right on Saturday.
4.Agreed. So refreshing that the lad plays with no fear. Ollie deserves a lot of credit for that.
5.Was going to start a separate Smithies thread. The guy is a complete natural. Time and time again I see Premiership keepers who seem to have far less natural ability.
6.Agreed.
7.Smith was good. He won just about every header against Wheater who is no slouch. Particularly with someone fast up top (e.g. Smyth) he justifies his place in the team. Washington and Smith is too slow a combination which cannot get in behind though,
8.Thought Eze played OK and don't see anything wrong with him putting his foot on the ball. In time I think he will have the skill not to get caught in possession.

Hope the above helps

Adam
Come on you Sooopa ........

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:26 am

24 teams in the division & Freeman tops the assists chart, he keeps the ball longer than most to play a killer pass, that’s what creative players do.

We’ve got plenty of players that are happy to play sideways passes thank god we’ve got Freeman.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:26 am
24 teams in the division & Freeman tops the assists chart, he keeps the ball longer than most to play a killer pass, that’s what creative players do.

We’ve got plenty of players that are happy to play sideways passes thank god we’ve got Freeman.
Agreed. He does have a tendency to hold onto the ball too long at times, but the movement in front of him is often poor. I think he might be inclined to play the ball earlier with better players around him.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Agreed. He does have a tendency to hold onto the ball too long at times, but the movement in front of him is often poor. I think he might be inclined to play the ball earlier with better players around him.
Very valid point that is often overlooked. Difficult to assess creative players when the talent and instinct is lacking in others.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Agree that it is possible the choices he has are limited, but but ..for me a quick early pass FORWARD is the way to play.I believe quick movement of the ball in attack is what creates goalscoring chances.

But there must be a place for a expert ball controls (a la Taarabt).It is a question of where you do it .I suggest the best place is the edge of the penalty box.Trouble with Freeman is ,after last night goal, it will only encourage him to dribble more and try it again.Given what is in front of him maybe right now it is worth a try.However long term I am not so sure.
Been reading 'With Clough' by Peter Taylor and he mentions one of the arts of management is the right blend of players.Basically players who bring out the best(strengths) in other players.Taylor says this is difficult and rare.Rangers seem to prove that-I cannot see many players helping the others to perform-perhaps Luongo and Scowen? Bidewell crosses well to Smith.For me Freeman does not seem to 'fit' with Luongo and Scowen.Even Onuhua seems to not to fit with and other central defender in the sense of complementing Onuhua weaknesses.Think back to Warnock.Taarabt was supported by Derry and Faurlin,etc.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:18 pm

In terms of creating chances from the midfield, we're massively hampered by the low conversion rate of our forwards.

Last night and on Saturday chances were created by the midfield. On Saturday in particular there were a number of really good crosses that Smith wasted before he managed to make two count late on.

It must be pretty disheartening for our midfield sometimes.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:03 pm

I'd say we're also massively hampered (Freeman's consolation goal this week nothwithstanding) by the lack of goals from our midfield, as well as our strike force. (Our shortage of goals from everywhere, then. aniwall )
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star