Thermals and hot air

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Thermals and hot air

Post by Stans left foot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Given our continual gripes, some perhaps justified, some perhaps not...

got me thinking about just how we market ourselves and how others see us. All of which we see when we dip our toes into a conversation and people respond with QP Ha Ha Ha, .....in short we have a negative profile

Since the new owners / TF and Co have been with us we've had limited success and then bounced back but of course attracted FFP ( Grenfell game apart I grant you and the good work the Community program brings ) but footballing wise...a bit of a joke.

Palliadini and the "gun" incident
Tango & Cash ownership - simply because it was just them...who's football knowledge I suspect you could write on the balls of a gnat.
Warnock - more people dislike him in football than like him methinks
Redknapp - because he's Redknapp, deadline day deals, Court appearance, failures with mega spending
Barton and Tarabbt - because no one outside of QPR knew any better
FFP and all its wrangles / fines, counter arguments, deferred settlement awaited
Training ground debate - planning wrangle
New ground debate. Car Giant wrangles... whos right?

all of which leads to just when is a club considered as "on the up". ?

For the last 3-4 years Bloom @ Brighton have been considered "on the up" and well regarded, some may well recall he took a well judged swipe at us re FFP and given his upward profile in the media I suspect it carried more weight than most, hence Brighton = upward thermal, QPR downward.

Bristol City, much vaunted cup run, gives the club the chance to promote them "on the up" re Johnson PR, top 6, winning profile, whereas we chose a 2nd string and kicked out to MK, = downward profile...

Wolves, an ideal template as to how it should be done ( spending and investment wise ) low key owners, sound PR comments when asked, robust spending nothing flashy = no prima donna's - upward profile, Rangers? probably the direct opposite, = downward profile.

so, the question is, does anyone ( at the club ) consider the impact of some of the decisions they make in terms of image impact and the way others see us?
Is it important? I think it is.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Thermals and hot air

Post by 222gers » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 pm

I think many people have negative views of our club as you say. There are those that think we should be punished heavily over FFP as they think we “got away” with it over Faurlin and other clubs have been hit with various FFP penalties. I speak to some who think that even now we are a rich club awash with cash and laugh at the mess Hughes and Redknapp left us. As you say, Warnock remains quite unpopular with many. I don't know why.

You speaking of Bloom at Brighton reminds me that Tango and Cash and TF were not the first to think they can splash out cash to turn us into a top club. We had our own Bloom - John Bloom, the washing machine magnate who envisaged us playing top flight football in front of 50,000 at the White City Stadium.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:19 pm

I think at the moment the only people we should worry about liking us are those at The Football League. Come on chaps, Rodney, Stanley the boys of '76, you remember good old QPR.

Those with longer memories probably still remember us fondly but I think the days of us being many peoples second team are long gone.

Thanks for the long list of our infamous cock ups Stans Left Foot, depressing, I think we have been on a downward spiral since Jim Gregory sold up.

Our work with the local community has been wonderful for many years and that probably helps our image to some. The Football League should consider this when throwing around huge FFP fines. Will their fine affect the people responsible for actually breaking their FFP rules or will it affect the fans who had no part in it, those employed by the club, the kids and parents at the Jack Tizard school and all the others in and around the White City Community who benefit from having Queens Park Rangers Football Club around?

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Very good points rbee

In terms of the original post I care very very little for the perception that the media or my Man U, Everton and Tottenham supporting colleagues have of QPR.

So long as those associated with the club do their best to make the club the best it can then that is fair enough for me.

The same applies with what has gone on in the past.

The list of errors goes on. But as long as what we are doing now is right then I tend not to worry.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:17 am

/We had our own Bloom - John Bloom, the washing machine magnate who envisaged us playing top flight football in front of 50,000 at the White City Stadium.(quote]

Yes, your right 222gers, I'd forgotten about him
his place used to be in Colindale High St, it's all coming back as a bad dream, that and White City..... :roll:

The reason for the original post was my wondering what gets a club to be a "good club" ( Barnsley just been spoken about it being a "good club" ) despite the manager situation. Underneath its seen as a "good club" without having won anything. Where as we huff and puff for what?

Maybe I'm being too sensitive but I'd simply like my club to be respected for what it does in the community, the way it plays its football - the staff it recruits and the way it behaves and manages itself.

We tick a lot of these boxes but FFP is probably the biggest goof this club has inflicted on itself in recent years, and it's not going away.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:03 pm

Answer is to keep our heads down and do a Bournemouth.
Key point is find the best manager you can (who goes with this type of club ethos).
Personally a super brainy young manager.Buy young players with ambition and Rangers are a step up.
Get a group together to find these players
Penrice is a start.
Gerry Francis would be even better.
We need a wise head inner circle .

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:20 pm

We can't do a Bournemouth. They broke FFP rules when they went up. I don't think that would be a very good idea.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 pm

old pauline wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:20 pm
We can't do a Bournemouth. They broke FFP rules when they went up. I don't think that would be a very good idea.
But now you just need to stand on the naughty step for 10 minutes, rather than be bankrupted, stripped naked and dragged through the streets of Old London Town while the FL throw rotten fruit at you
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question