Choosing my kids footy team?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Choosing my kids footy team?

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:34 pm

I have a daughter & if the mrs has her way we’ll have a few more.

My question is do I drag my daughter or any future kids into a world of misery and doom of supporting qpr or do I let them choose who they like the most and go with it, I mean it’s the norm right to take your nipper to footy with you and then that’s there team, a few years back I would agree but living with the fact I’m a qpr fan & knowing what a misserable moany bastard it makes me I’m wondering if I want the same for my kids.

Now don’t get me wrong if anyone buys my kid a Chelsea top or such like I’ll politely burn it in the back garden there is no question there, it will hurt me to see my kids support someone else but to be honest my children have a clean slate & the fact I can’t really be arsed to go watch qpr anymore is there any point drumming qpr into them.

Over to you wise ones.

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Choosing my kids footy team?

Post by LanCat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Taking your kid along to QPR is one of the joys in life. You need to know no more than that.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:26 pm

I've indoctrinated mine from the off and hope it works.

Personally, i think it's character building and hopefully, it's something we will be able to enjoy together. I'd like to think that will be worth more than trivial things like winning. You might even get your love back if the nipper has some enthusiasm.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm

A child should not go to any live match until he/she is old enough to understand the basics of the game and until they show signs of wanting to go. So, you may have a bit of time to think about it, LaLa.
I was brought up a QPR fan (a family religion... father and his father from Grenfell Road, mother from Paddington) but, we left London for the west of England before I had been to a match at QPR. But, I was obsessed with football and I was a long-distance QPR fan via Sports Report, the newspapers, Football Monthly and QPR programmes that an uncle sent me regularly. I had never been to the Rs, but, apparently, I cried when they lost. We were living in Somerset and one day my mother suggested to my father that it was about time that I went to a match. So, one Saturday, he took me to Bristol Rovers v Nottingham Forest (2-1 to Rovers and a 21,000 attendance at Eastville, by the way). I loved it and could not wait to go where my heart really lay and finally, on a trip back to visit relatives in west London, I went to QPR v Southend United (0-0). I loved that even more.
Today, I see kids being taken to matches when they are too young - bored, tired and fed up. Let them wait until they show real interest and cross fingers that, when they go to QPR, they are hooked for life. It is, of course, important that, by then, they have learned to cope with set-backs! :wink:
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LanCat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Agreed, 7 is the right age.

hillsy1302

Post by hillsy1302 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 pm

I wouldn’t put an age on it. My lad’s just turned 5 and has a season ticket. He attends about half the games allowing for the evening ones and birthday parties.

Sure, he doesn’t know the offside rule but he knows the rare occasions we actually score and can boo when prompted - opposition corner/substitution etc. 😄

I’ve already had the “can we support the other team?” questions but with a pocketful of sweets/named home shirt and hotdog it helps. I think he gets that it’s really about time spent together out of the house rather than the game itself. Or perhaps I’m just kidding myself...

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm

hillsy1302 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 pm
I wouldn’t put an age on it. My lad’s just turned 5 and has a season ticket. He attends about half the games allowing for the evening ones and birthday parties.

Sure, he doesn’t know the offside rule but he knows the rare occasions we actually score and can boo when prompted - opposition corner/substitution etc. 😄

I’ve already had the “can we support the other team?” questions but with a pocketful of sweets/named home shirt and hotdog it helps. I think he gets that it’s really about time spent together out of the house rather than the game itself. Or perhaps I’m just kidding myself...
You say he doesn't know the offside rule. Not many of us do these days including, it would seem, some of the officials.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 pm

My passion has dwindled away for Qpr, not fussed if I go anymore I turn a free ticket down most weeks, I’m probably gonna ref Sats & Sunday’s now, I’ve just become so disillusioned with the Club I’m just not bothered anymore.

So if I can’t be arsed then how can I expect my child to support Qpr, I think I’ll just go with the flow like you say & if they show an interest in footy at whatever age then I’ll take them to QPR.

I just thought it would be nice for my kids to have a club they can choose to support rather than me drum Qpr into them, there must be family’s out there where the kids support different teams to the parents.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:14 am

As long as they know we ain't no world beaters anymore and can accept that trophies will be sparse then it's ok. My daughter accepted Rangers as her club because it was her parents, both sets of grandparents and 2 of her great grandfathers' club. I hope my toddler granddaughter will feel the same (she got all the gear). But I can't help having a tinge of guilt knowing the heartache that's involved in supporting QPR. But, It's who we are.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:57 am

I worked to a very simple ethos - they could choose whether they wanted to be interested in football or not but if they were going to support a team and live in my house then it would be QPR!

My daughter (Jo) wasn't interested for quite a while and I left her to follow her other intersts but her younger brother (Matt) couldn't get enough and in fact his main incentive for learning to read was so that he could read all the papers himself rather than relying on us.

When Matt was 4 or 5 he regularly came to games, nominally sitting on my lap having walked through the turnstiles with no questions asked (does that still happen?) and then Jo suddenly got interested too as other kids in her class were talking about football.

They both ended up with Season tickets and we have so many great memories of extreme happiness mixed in with pain - you could always tell when we'd lost because Jo would get home and tidy her bedroom!

Only once did Jo say to me, only half jokingly I suspect, "why couldn't you have just left me to support Man Utd or Liverpool like all the other kids at school" (in St Albans).

It's a tough world and they have to learn to be tough!

I wonder if that's why they both work abroad now? whistle
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 am

As Satch stated "I've indoctrinated mine from the off", however being geographically dislocated watching QPR has been a tele-visual experience for the pair of them. That said when we were in the Premiership, the Foxtel red button meant we could watch the R's home & away week in week out.

I've got to say my nine year old daughter was bored rigid when I took them to LR to see QPR v Burton (0-0) earlier in the season. My 14 year old son would definitely consider himself part of the QPR family but I can't help thinking he's never going to know / feel QPR and football in the same way I did. The game has changed far too much and pretty much none of it for the better. :(
Question everything.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 am
As Satch stated "I've indoctrinated mine from the off", however being geographically dislocated watching QPR has been a tele-visual experience for the pair of them. That said when we were in the Premiership, the Foxtel red button meant we could watch the R's home & away week in week out.

I've got to say my nine year old daughter was bored rigid when I took them to LR to see QPR v Burton (0-0) earlier in the season. My 14 year old son would definitely consider himself part of the QPR family but I can't help thinking he's never going to know / feel QPR and football in the same way I did. The game has changed far too much and pretty much none of it for the better. :(
That’s the thing it’s changed so much not just football but a young persons world, I never had internet or social media, a mobile phone if you had one was used to phone someone on now it’s used for everything but to phone someone on.

As a kid it was school everyday working towards that magical moment once a week the SATURDAY 3PM....

On the tube going to the game chatting to all the other supporters on there way to other games it was fantastic a buzz all the way to LR, there was nothing better, quite literally nothing better going on in life for a youngster.

Now it’s a different world for kids & football might Aswell be a different sport, I totally agree that kids don’t have the same passion for supporting there team these days, I’ve got 7 nieces and nephews & the boys all support teams & all follow them but they are way down on there list of priorities.

I will encourage my kids to like Qpr & see how it goes, I’ll take them to games but ultimately if I get the vibe they’re not enjoying it then I will leave it upto them, I just pray to god my children find an interest in a sport I half enjoy because if it’s cricket golf or tennis I’m bang in trouble :)

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 am

"why couldn't you have just left me to support Man Utd or Liverpool like all the other kids at school"
this question, and its answer is the key role of a parent

what you have to ask yourself is, do you want your child to be brought up with no value in life other than to expect a win and their selected club to be ingratiated with oodles of money at the slightest of weakness new players/manager bought in or....

experience proper football- or as near as you can get it with any Championship club or lower?

I had real doubts over my mates parental capabilities whilst living in Watford my Rangers supporting son was pilloried every week by his Newcastle supporting son. Fact is when I asked him "why Newcastle"? he had no idea, he liked the shirt ( £80 ) and Kevin Keegan and the fact they won a lot.
Winning to him was the basis of everything.....

That is no basis to "support" a team.

5 onward seems good to me....by then the real reasons can be understood and the passion nurtured.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

Trojan
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Trojan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 pm

First took my son when he was nearly 5, he's now 6 and been to 5 games. He's obsessed with football. He knows QPR aren't that good, but I tell him even Chelsea lose sometimes. I get him a kit every year and he has a second team, Bayern Munich ( his child minder is German). Lots of Chelsea fans where we are so a second, better team helps keep him away from the scum. I've told him we will never go and watch Chelsea. May take him to Wembley to watch England or even Spuds.
Sorry in advance.

Libertine
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Libertine » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Being driven down South Africa road as a child, seeing all the hooped shirts, seeing the players walking from the old BBC car park, seeing the badge and Loftus Road sign, walking down Batman Close to the Uxbridge Road before kick off, leaning over the wall to touch the pitch from the Paddock, hearing the raw of the Loft after a goal and the deafening "Come on You R's" before a corner are some of my favourite childhood memories. I couldn't be more grateful towards my Dad for taking me as a boy and we've shared some amazing moments whilst following QPR together down the years. Of all the amazing things my Dad has done for me over my entire life, the QPR indoctrination is undoubtedly top of the list.

I know it's largely depressing following QPR but don't forget this is the greatest football club on the entire planet. If you don't encourage them to follow QPR you'll be missing out on some of the best possible bonding moments you could wish for. You'll likely only experience one or two in a generation... but what moments they'll be.

"My God, a moment of bliss. Why, isn't that enough for a whole lifetime?"

If my daughter shows even the slightest hint of an interest in watching live sport. There's only one place I'll be taking her.